iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

band tracking problem

Started by kelLOGg, October 19, 2010, 08:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I had some band tracking problems today on my Cooks MP-32 that led to band breakage. I was sawing pine with a band that was newly sharpened and I noticed the band oscillating in the plane of the cut. With each revolution of the band it would advance about ¼ inch into the cut and return to normal position. It still cut true but in a very few minutes the band would break. I replaced it with another newly sharpened band and the same thing happened again - in minutes.    A week ago I was sawing oak with new out-of-the box bands and had no problems. It seems to occur only with used bands and they are not really used that much – sharpened maybe only once. One other possibly important thing is that my drive side blade guide roller has had play in it for some months now but I have not yet replaced it Do I have an alignment or blade problem?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

logwalker

That almost always happens on my LT40 just before the blade breaks. If you had stopped and inspected the blade you would likely find it was cracking in at least one gullet. That is what is causing the wobble in the tracking on my saw.

Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

isawlogs

That will also happen if you get sawdust behind the v-belts on the wheels the band rides on. Cleam out the saw dust and rotate the v-belts. ( Thats on my mill, not sure if you run a loose belt on a Cooks or not )
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Kevin

When the v belts get worn down on my mill I'll start breaking bands.

Vern

I Have MP32 also and logwalker is on  it ,  when I see the wobble I just stop and change saves me from having to deal with it half way through the log....... I will break a blade once in awhile on resharps . make sure your guides are close enough to your blade , give Tim a call at Cooks he has always helped me out ............I have had resharps that were sharpened with a crack and sent back to me,weather they had a crack when I sent or they cracked in sharping I don`t know........ never from Cooks ,Cooks will just tell me I had a bad blade. Pine is a pain in  bleep  what every your using for lube, use lots of it, seems to work for me....
vman

kelLOGg

That's 3 votes (one by PM) for a gullet crack. I guess I selected 2 consecutive bands w/ cracks and made me think something more serious. Today I'm going to replace the loose roller guide, select yet another band and saw again.

The MP-32 has crowned steel wheels. They get remarkedly little sawdust buildup between them and the band.

Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

r.man

From a troubleshooting point of view I would put a new blade on for the next cut. Might be a good idea to keep one new one around just for that. If the problem doesn't continue, then it is the resharpened blades, if it does then it is some form of tracking problem. Always nice to narrow down the possibilities.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Banjo picker

Take a band off the mill that is really cutting well and put it up...then when you have trouble put it back on...you know its not gona be the band... :) 

I broke one this morning.  Heard that little click, then noticed the little bump..did I take it off...NO ...not till it broke about two cuts later...But it was a gorgous day to be sawing lumber...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

kelLOGg

Put another band on today and sawed all day with no problem. So a crack in the gullet was very likely the culprit. Thanks for all the feedback.
Bob

vadimo

Turn one wheel without blade and look if don`t  crooked. Then try it on second wheel.

Like here:

ladylake

Lossen up your guide rollers then turn the blade forwards and backwards, it should track the same either way. In not it needs adjusting.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!