iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help Needed Re:Wood Species

Started by campy, October 19, 2010, 06:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

campy

Does anyone know what species of wood this is?
I am totally stumped.

When planing, it seems to be extremely hard.

Three photos below:

Thanks for any help you may offer.

McCormack

ladylake

I'd guess ash also. Put a pic of the bark up.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

campy

There is no bark left.
When I first saw the log I thought it was Black Cherry.
That is judging from the bark.

The streaks are a dark maroon color.

I cut a lot of Ash here and it looks quite different than Ash.
Perhaps another sub species of Ash?

redbeard

I was stumped on these slabs that i planned that i found under a old bld. no bark on them and one fellow told me it was blk cherry these look similar to yours. Hope it helps
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Woodwalker

I'm sure not an expert, but from the pictures I would also guess it to be Hickory.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

junkhound

The coloration around the knots make me think hickory also.

Junkhound

WDH

Hickory or pecan, but pecan is a hickory, so hickory  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bull

ely

campy

Persimmon !

I think you are right.

It is super hard.

I will burn some of it tomorrow and check the smell.

WDH

The bark is wrong for persimmon.  The inner bark of persimmon has a yellowish cast.  99.9% probability that is hickory, but sometimes probability gets it wrong too  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

I would place my poker chips on hickory or pecan, leaning heavily on pecan. When I first saw the pics I said, "That looks like pecan I sawed a couple of yrs ago." Hard as all get out.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Okrafarmer

Quote from: campy on October 20, 2010, 12:39:35 AM
Persimmon !

I think you are right.

It is super hard.

I will burn some of it tomorrow and check the smell.

I was thinking that since the living tree was mistaken for cherry. Easy to do for those who aren't real sure.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

First pictures look like a hickory from here. If it planes hard than it's likely hickory. I see a little edge bark that is typical of hickory/walnuts. If it were fresh cut than the inner bark is yellow, then turns brown on exposure.

Persimmon yellows or grays on exposure and tiny dark heart wood often with streak stains in the heart. Growth rings not as pronounced as in that picture.

Redbeard, yours looks like pecan. It has reddish brown hues and dark streaks.

Cherry bark up here in the north is different than in the south. Ours is very scaly and dark gray. Come off in small strips, maybe up to 12" long (mostly 2" to 4") and 2" or 3" wide. White spots sparsely dotted over the trunk.

Same tree
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Okrafarmer

SD, you are right, our cherries around here look different. The pictures you posted-- if I saw that tree down here (either picture) I would first think it was a river birch (our only native birch down here). The cherries here have kind of a tight scaley bark, charcoal gray in color, but there is a considerable amount of variation in texture. Under some circumstances the bark of cherries down here can be confused with that of our shortleaf pine, for instance, in winter, when the leaves are off, and if the tree is covered in vines and you only see glimpses of the bark, it looks something like a dead SLP.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

WDH

Cherry also has pronounced lenticels on the bark, which are small horizontal streaks or dashes.  These structures are thought to function in respiration.  They are never pronounced in hickory or pecan or persimmon.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on October 20, 2010, 08:59:26 AM
Cherry also has pronounced lenticels on the bark, which are small horizontal streaks or dashes.  These structures are thought to function in respiration.  They are never pronounced in hickory or pecan or persimmon.

If this is what i think it is, we see the same thing on birch trees (very pronounced) especially white and gray birch in the north. In winter time I can tell a cherry from other trees around here by the small branches and twigs, and I can see these horizontal marks on them. I don't recognize them on the lower, rougher bark of most cherries around here. Sometimes the river birches look a little bit like cherries, but I can tell the difference. The river birches planted in landscaping look different from the ones you find in the wild around here.

The bark is different on persimmon from cherry, but some cherries are more like persimmon than others. There seems to be quite a bit of genetic variation in the cherry bark around here. I've also seen some variation on the persimmons, too, but they usually have that deep mosaic texture to them. The cherry bark is almost never as deeply fisured as the persimmon.

WDH

Okra, you are right.  The birches display prominent lenticels, most pronounced in paper birch that the native americans used to make canoes.

Old persimmons have knobby, alligator hide like bark.  It is distinctive.

Okrafarmer

I'll have to look back and see if there is a pic heavy thread anywhere about bark variations within species-- it would be neat to see.

WDH

I have studied bark for 30 years and, to me, it is a very reliable and distinctive ID method.  Being able to ID species without the leaves is a huge advantage.

LeeB

Also looks somewhat like cedar elm.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Gray birch are very warty and glandular on the fine branches, from which resin exudes.

Bark is very reliable for your region or state. Our sugar maple bark is much smoother here in farming country than it is out in the Igneous-Sediment soils in Deersdale. Sometimes challenging to separate from red maple.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!