iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tecumseh engine Trouble

Started by Stephen1, October 19, 2010, 05:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

my 10 horse snow king Tecumseh engine I have on my mill was loosing pwr at full throttle as I pushed into the log. In the past I have pulled the carb used the carb cleaner, put everything back and away I go. I think the problem was always sawdust or dirt in the gas. This time I pulled the carb, cleaned it put it back, pulled the s@#$t out of it, no go, it would fire with full choke, and then die. I went and got a carb kit along with a new plastic float, as the other one had a bit of gas in it, it was leaking.
I installed the parts, reinstalled the carb...adjusted the bottom screw on the float bowl out 1.5 turns, then adjusted the low idle screw 1 an 1\8 turn out. Pulled the s@#$%t out if it again, now I have gas spitting out of the carb, it's basically flooding out, I have tried turning the screws a 1\2 turn either way and still nothing.
any ideas?
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

snowshoveler

The carb kit ...it came with a new needle and seat ?
And you installed the seat correctly.
The little grove on the seat goes away from you,into the hole.
And you set the float height at 11/64s right (drill bit is nice guage).
I usually replace the fuel line when doing a carb.
The material rots and then fine pieces of it foul up the carb.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

sawguy21

His carb has an adjustable main jet so the float would be set parallel to the carb body. With a plastic float it is a moot point as the height is not adjustable. Your information is correct for a metal float in a fixed main jet carburetor.
Stephen, it is starving for fuel. Did you ensure the passages in the bowl nut and the jet are squeaky clean.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

snowshoveler

The tecumseh plastic float does indeed have a metal tab and its fully adjustable.
and tecumseh carb floats were NOT set level.
Older walbro carbs on the iron blocked tecumseh engines were set level.
His engine is a snowking,aluminum engine castiron bore.
Chris 
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Stephen1

Hi Guys, i changed the gas line also, as it had crap in it. I ended up with 1 a little bigger, but secured it with cable ties. I was able to adjust the plastic float, level. The main jet, I'm thinking you mean the one that screws the float bowl on, is clean, but I'm thinking now, that the rubber seat is in upside down. I'm away at work right now but I will check that rubber seat tomorrow, I think I put it in groove up.
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

snowshoveler

The groove goes away from you,up into the hole.
Its kind of a pain the way its explained even in the service manual.
If its upside down(groove visable when needle removed) it will not seal and carb will flood.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Stephen1

Thanks Chris , it is flooding for sure...i'll let you know tomorrow.

Stephen1

Well no luck so far. I took out the new seat, turned it around, I think i damaged it as I blew in the gas line and air went thru. I then took the old seat put it in as u said, blew in, it held. It would not fire, so being the impatient @#$#@#@# I am, got out the can of ether, sprayed some in, got it to fire up , but not run. 
I did install a fuel filter under the tank, before the line crosses to the carb, should I remove it?
I have the screw in the bottom set at 1.5 turns out.
I have the screw on the carb, low idles I think set at 1and a quarter out.
Are these settings right?

John R

Settings sound good, but if it won't run, open the lower screw some more, sound like it's not getting enough gas to stay running.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

Stephen1

Ok better results, getting it to fire with screw open more, lots of blackish smoke though,. Going to work again, so will try tomorrow again. I'll open the screw a 1/2 turn at a time see what happens.

Stephen1

I wasn't going to post the results of the engine repair but here go's. After swearing at this motor all week, pulling my arms off, almost taking the motor in to a repair shop. I'm sitting there today putting my  other engines away for the winter, pulling the plugs and squirting some oil in the cylinders and all. A light bulb goes off in my head, here comes the embarrassment... I pull the plug on the tecumseh, a black clogged mess. I go in the shop, pull out an old plug from the pile of used plugs..how can you throw them away right? Well I install the used plug, boom 1st pull fires right up. I can't believe it, it is always so simple so many times isn't it?
The next problem is it seems to be revving a little to fast now, is it possible I have the governor hooked up wrong?
Thanks for the reply's.
Stephen

John R

Don't matter what it was, it's running and you fixed it.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

Thank You Sponsors!