iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for a Used Mill

Started by Fla._Deadheader, November 16, 2003, 06:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Portable Shaving Mill, that is. Been on the "net" and I believe these companies are NUTZ. Prices are WAAAYYYYYYY too high, for something that just peels shavings off a piece of wood.
  Anyone know of a used one that could be had, REASONABLE????????
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

florida

General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Ron Wenrich

So what is "reasonable"?  What is reasonable to one person is expensive to another.

A lot of  the investment price depends on how much you're going to use it.  There's a used one for $30K, which could be a good price if you had enough material & markets to move through it.  But, it would probably be too expensive to run for only a few hours per week.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Rod

I  was looking at the wood shavers and wondering what they use wood shaving for?

http://www.salsco.com/products/14004.htm

Tom

Wood Shavings are big business here in florida for Horses stalls. Used to use them for chickens.

Fla._Deadheader

I am familiar with the Ben Jones listed one. That is the company that I was hoping to deal with.
  The $30,000.00 would be a good buy, just don't have the room and wood necessary to operate it. I was thinking around $7,500.00 for a portable unit that would shave all the slabs and end cut-offs from the river logs. Salsco's portable is $16,000.00. :oI
  Have a guy where we camp, that does small land clearing jobs and can't seem to get the piles to burn. ::)
  That would help keep us going through the winter.
  Just bought my son a drysuit, for diving the cold water this winter. Don't want another episode like last winter ::) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ron Wenrich

We have one company in the area that buys "chicken wood", which is soft hardwoods like tulip poplar, aspen, soft maple and the like.  They take it in 15' and 5' bolts.  They have several shavers going.  They use it for bedding in poultry houses.  They are getting well over $1K per trailerload, blowed in.

I know another guy who used to shave the aromatics - red cedar, sassafras, cherry.  He would dry them, and bag them in 1 lb bags.  He got 35 cents a bag, and that was 15 years ago.  Sold it to pet shops.

We have one company that uses a wood hog, and makes bedding from chips, pallets and about anything else they can throw into a tub grinder.  Hogged material can be sold as bedding, or turned into mulch.  Grinding pallets is a good deal, since you can charge a tipping fee.  But, you need good magnets.   :D  That may be cheaper than a shaver, and have almost the same application.

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks Ron. I will see if I can locate one and see what it is.
   First, it is ridiculed;

pappy

Fla._Deadheader

Hud-son use to make one.  I had seen one at the forestry show in Bangor, ME three years ago.  Maybe give em a call and see what's up.

http://www.hud-son.com/contact-us.htm

termite
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

ARKANSAWYER

Do you want to shave or chip?  There is a differance in the product.  Vermeer has a PTO chipper that can take up to a 9 inch log and about a 16 inch slab and can eat them as fast as you can feed it.  My Father-in-law has a small PTO chipper and he is doing my cedar slabs and business is more then he wanted already.  
  I think it was Salico (SP?) that was at the WoodMizer 25th party and they had a portable shaver and chipper there but I do not remember the price.  Both worked well and made a fine product.
ARKANSAYWER
ARKANSAWYER

Ron Wenrich

Here's a list of tub grinder mfg.  http://www.recycle.net/equip/menu/equip_52.html

We used one when we ground up our mulch.  Low maintenance and we didn't have to worry about dirt, rocks or nails.  You might find a used one at a farm sale.

Haytrader

The smaller PTO tubs sell from $3500 to $5500 out my way at farm sales. Ones with thier own power start around $10k.
As long as we are talking farm sales and FDH.
Harold, since you are not afraid to tackle a challenge, what do ya think of taking a two or three row silage cutter (can be bought for a song at sales) and attaching some sort of a feed table to it? Just an idea.
Haytrader

Fla._Deadheader

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, Silage cutter, Hmmmmmmmmmm. I left one of them in Arkansas.
 I gotta quit buildin stuff and start making stuff, MONEEEEEEE :o ::)
 From what little I know, a shaving mill makes shavings, like a planer, but, has wires??? to make the shavings whatever size is required. A Wood Hog or Tub Grinder makes larger size "Mulch" type product.
  Research has provided me with the "proper" size of bedding. Large, fluffy shavings, are not necessarily the thing sought after by horse owners. DanG offered loose fluffy shavings, but, all the feed supply places stock are about 3/8ths square thin cut shavings.
  The knives are "razor backed", whatever that means. Might be to cut the shavings in smaller pieces???
  Farm Sales, in Fl???  Maybe wayyyy up North in Central Fl, near the border???
   First, it is ridiculed;

crosscut

:D fla better go with the shaver if ya lookin for a market i usually end up mixing in my chips with my wood pile just to be able to burn em chips just seem to smoulder and fewer and fewer people seem to want them if im lucky i make some gas money but usually easier just to haul em to the house and put them into the burn pile although now i have a bit more room think im gonna start composting them  8)

Fla._Deadheader

Hi Steve. Get moved yet??? Stayin busy???  We MAY hafta look ya up and apply for a job this winter.  ;) ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!