iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry Forum Search Function

Started by Jeff, October 18, 2010, 04:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I'm trying to gather information on how our members as a whole, feel about the importance of the ability to search for things on the Forestry Forum. By our search logs, I know that members and guests use it ten's of thousands of times a month.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

D Hagens

It's the best thing since sliced bubble gum! 8) Even the word "Indispensable" shows up! 8) :) :) Great thinking Jeff. :) :)

sprucebunny

It's very important to enable the users and new users to find info on a particular topic. Often when something has been discussed in past threads, asking the question again does not get many responses because many regular/older members remember that it's already been discussed.
How would we find that old thread without the search function ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Dan_Shade

I use it pretty regularly.  I find it quite handy!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Larry

I was considering a drag back add on for my new saw mill.  I read every post ever made about drag backs...a lot of pros and cons.  No real consensus but at least I felt like a informed buyer.  That knowledge was more than I could have obtained any other place on the planet.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

RynSmith

Quote from: Larry on October 18, 2010, 08:02:08 PM
That knowledge was more than I could have obtained any other place on the planet.

Wow.  That is one heck of an endorsement!

8)  8)

rbarshaw

In general, I can't manage without it.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Coon

The forum would be very redundant in many ways without the search function. It's part of the forum just like white is on rice.  :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

terrifictimbersllc

to quote one of  the current Progressive insurance commercials    "it just keeps getting better and better with age"
Meaning it becomes more useful every day as posts are added.
yes it is convenient and not necessarily redundant to ask the same question again especially regarding equipment that may have been updated etc. but the old posts are a great resource.

anything done to improve clarity of the search page and ability to find things is worthwhile.  For example I don't know what the "by user box" containing * means.   It would be good to be able to easily pull up posts from a particular user with a certain keyword in them. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

I use the search function, but not a lot.

Once in a while I'll look for an old post using the search function.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

QuoteFor example I don't know what the "by user box" containing * means.   It would be good to be able to easily pull up posts from a particular user with a certain keyword in them. 

That is exactly what that does. 

Ivey

I use it alot, for me it's the Google of forestry :P
Logmaster LM-4 , New Holland 4x4 w/FEL , Ford L-9000 tandem w/ prentice TS-33 loader, Nyle L200M, Cook's 4" board edger, John Deere 310se backhoe w/ forks

Kcwoodbutcher

Don't use it at all, I have every post memorized, but it is very nice to have as I get older and more senile.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Bill Gaiche

Its great because you can do your research at your own leasure. Plus at the same time learn a lot of other good information and ideas. bg

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Jeff on October 19, 2010, 08:55:52 AM
QuoteFor example I don't know what the "by user box" containing * means.   It would be good to be able to easily pull up posts from a particular user with a certain keyword in them. 

That is exactly what that does. 
o.k......let me check.......Got it now that I eliminated the asterisk and typed a user name exactly.  thanks.  wasn't doing it exactly right before.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Brad_S.

I can't say enough about it!
I often use the search function here much like some might use Google.
For example, I was researching gooseneck trailers, when they excel over tag-a-longs, what people thought of them. The FF search yielded much better results than a Google search ever could.
Same with any specialized item that is commonly used by people "like us".
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

DR_Buck

I use it all the time.   Especially when I'm trying to find something I posted. ;D ::)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

trapper

I have problems finding the results i am looking for  such as finding the part # of a solenoid for my owb that was on an old post.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

pigman

It was not much help when I used it to try to find the chainsaw that I misplaced. ::)  It is a great help when looking for information in an old post. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Jeff

There is only two topics in the entire forum that uses the words solenoid and grainger in the same topic and they are both you asking about where you saw it.

Maybe you are thinking of a different forum?  

fat olde elf

very good feature. Wish more people would use it instead of just posting a question.
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Jeff

Nothing wrong with posting a question. If the search was all they needed, we could just all quit posting and let the place sit here like a library book.  Thats no fun. :)

trapper

this is the only forum I use  tried a couple of others in the distant past but didnt hold my intrest like this one
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!