iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Don't Forget To Check The Air Pressure In The Tires!

Started by Chris Burchfield, October 18, 2010, 03:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Burchfield

Before I take my mill on the road I do check the air pressure in the tires.  We had a large Red Oak blow down back in the spring.  Firewood!  No power is on the property.  Trailer, log splitter, Tractor, saws, fuel, two stroke syn., blade files.  Cut, split, load, cut split, load on and on.  I'm through.  Hook up to pull off, let the jack down onto the class three ball.  She's sitting pretty low on the rear of the 3500 Ram.  I have to pull forward a little to release tension on the loading ramps.  Two of the trailer tires are low.  I unhook and head to AZone for fix a flat.  Four cans and $30.  Still don't do the job on the trailer.  Too much for one day, I head home.  Get home to add air to the truck tires.  Has young son rotate front to rear insides a couple of month back.  He didn't relocate the valve extensions.  I could't even reach the inside valves to check the air pressure.  Off to a friend's shop and there by 07:30 this morning.  He had a man pull the rear outsides and relocate the valve extensions from the front tires.  No Charge.  I owe him and his crew a couple of pork shoulders sometime in the future.  The put 80 psi in each rear as requested.  Stopped by AZone on the way and picked up one of the Green Slime Portable compressors for $65.00  Don't run for more than ten minutes, unit gets hot, can start a fire and burn you.  It will also blow the 20 amp fuse you don't have in stock in the glove compartment.  Back to AZone, back to the trailer.  Air in the tires for not more than 10 minutes.  Then 15 minute cool off period before using it again.  Finally, about 12:15 I'm in the road on the way home.  Get home and park the trailer backed in on the side of the house to be unloaded later.  Not that I didn't need one of the little portable compressor's, but the wood is home.  After it's unloaded I'll start a thread on the Firewood Reindeer with pictures.  Running tires that are too low of air pressure will build excessive heat and cause the tire to fail.  I know this.  How dumb do I feel some times.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

sawguy21

That's a long day over a couple of tires.  :'( Against better judgement I bought a cheap pancake compressor as space is limited, only 15A available and don't use it much. DanG glad to have it two weeks ago after the neighbor kids deflated a trailer tire.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

easymoney

when my son was little i caught him one day letting air out of my tires. he said i am airing up your tires for you.

DanG

I carry around a 10 gal. portable air tank that will top off 3 or 4 "soft" tires or inflate a flat one.  I also carry a plugging kit that has saved my bacon more than once.  I too have one of the el-cheapo pancake compressors as a back-up for the shop compressor.  It's nice to pick it up with one hand and take it where it is needed.  It pretty much paid for itself in one afternoon when we built the wheelchair ramp at my Dad's house.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

customsawyer

Dang I find it hard to believe that you would have a low tire on your place. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Raider Bill

Instead of fix a flat Slime them tires! I slime everything I own that's tubeless. Helps with balance and total peace of mind.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Nate Surveyor

Dittos on slime.
I slime 4-wheeler tires, from the get go. nothing like low tires, to make me fight stearing. (they never go low all together)
So, you get a low tire, on ONE side.
N
I know less than I used to.

easymoney

why is it that the bottom side is always the one that is flat?

Raider Bill

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Larry

Don't forget to check the lug nuts once in awhile or a wheel might fall off...don't ask. :-[ :-[
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tyb525

Slime is a huge pain, when it comes time to change the tire. It makes a huge mess. I've worked part-time at an auto/tire shop for over a year. I've never seen fix-a-flat or slime (they're the same, slime has green coloring) work on any kind of puncture. Just IMHO, but unless you're in a real pinch, it's better in the long run to do a permanent fix.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Okrafarmer

Quote from: tyb525 on October 20, 2010, 11:13:12 PM
Slime is a huge pain, when it comes time to change the tire. It makes a huge mess. I've worked part-time at an auto/tire shop for over a year. I've never seen fix-a-flat or slime (they're the same, slime has green coloring) work on any kind of puncture. Just IMHO, but unless you're in a real pinch, it's better in the long run to do a permanent fix.

You can't use this for on-road applications but there is a hard foam you can have put in off-road tires (especially things like skidsteers, and so on) to where it doesn't matter one bit if it punctures, it still holds together. I saw it advertised at the Goodyear truck tire place in Greer.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

tyb525

Okrafarmer, I've thought about putting that stuff in our tractor's tires so I can actually drive near honey locust stands without getting a flat 10 feet it. I have no idea how much it costs though.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Okrafarmer

Quote from: tyb525 on October 20, 2010, 11:52:37 PM
Okrafarmer, I've thought about putting that stuff in our tractor's tires so I can actually drive near honey locust stands without getting a flat 10 feet it. I have no idea how much it costs though.

Not sure, but it might be worth it if you have a lot of honey locust.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

ScottAR

Foam works...  only trick is one must cut the tires/foam off the rims when replacement is required...
Flip side is can run said tire till there's almost nothing left.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: ScottAR on October 21, 2010, 02:10:36 AM
Foam works...  only trick is one must cut the tires/foam off the rims when replacement is required...
Flip side is can run said tire till there's almost nothing left.

It also leaves you with a bone jarring rough ride, decreases traction because the tires don't flex with the terrain. We have foam tires at work and when they need replacement we just get new rims. Because by the time you grind/saw the tire and foam off the rim is usually damaged.

tyb525

This company makes a product that they claim will flex similar to air-filled tires.

http://www.arnconet.com/flatproofing/superfills.htm

Raider Bill

Quote from: tyb525 on October 20, 2010, 11:13:12 PM

I've never seen that and have using Slime for 20 years. It just falls out in little tiny black balls. FAF is differnt stuff and is a mess.
I changed tires on the road king this past weekend. they have been slimed since brand new no fuss no mess no flats...ever.
The new tires were slimed as soon as I set the bead. Nothing will ruin a motorcycle trip like a flat tire.

ahlkey

Another problem in addition to air pressure that can kick you where it hurts is the "age of the tires".  The recommendation is they should not be more than six years old for highway use.  The problem is that tires that are older oxidize and weaken the sidewalls making them time bombs to a degree.  Even tires with good solid tread will blow unexpectingly if they are old and that is not a good thing when you are going down the highway with a full load.

Ironwood

Foam is NOT cheap, $250 each for my forklift front drive tires. I need it (lots of reclaimed lumber around) but ouch!

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

customsawyer

When you foam fill the tires it will add lots of weight. I foam fill the packing tires on my tree planters, as they have to ride over fat lighter stumps and such, they will keep going for a long time.
tyb525 if you work around the honey locust very much you can go to the rice and cane tires. They are like a skidder tire and can take some abuse.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!