iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Different Logging Trailers Around The World

Started by Trailer Builder, October 18, 2010, 03:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trailer Builder

Hi Guys,
I am from Oz and I build logging trailers.
I am really interested to see what you guys might use around the world. I can post some of the ones i build later down the track if there is enough interest in this topic.
Cheers Cory

beenthere

welcome to FF
Always like to see logging trailers.

;D

Have you been reading about them on the forum here?

Like the one for sale?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Trailer Builder

Hi,
I havent yet come across one for sale yet.
I actually have been searching for a forum to share what i do with the world and this seems to be the place

amberwood

Cory. Perfect timing. How about a 3 bay folding quad dog or skel? Ideally one that could be slipped off to tow a float for gear moves.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Gary_C

You should fill out more info on your profile so we know where you are from, among other things. It seems that different parts of this country have widely varied log trailers. Show what you are familiar with so we know what's different for you.

Here is an old picture of my log trailer piled high with dried out basswood pulp.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Trailer Builder

Quote from: amberwood on October 18, 2010, 04:05:52 PM
Cory. Perfect timing. How about a 3 bay folding quad dog or skel? Ideally one that could be slipped off to tow a float for gear moves.

DTR
DTR you are not far from me.
I am actually not looking for a trailer i would just like to see what else there is outside of OZ
Cheers

Trailer Builder

Quote from: Gary_C on October 18, 2010, 04:19:39 PM
You should fill out more info on your profile so we know where you are from, among other things. It seems that different parts of this country have widely varied log trailers. Show what you are familiar with so we know what's different for you.

Here is an old picture of my log trailer piled high with dried out basswood pulp.

Nice one i am having trouble loading some of the ones i have done i think you will be amazed

Trailer Builder

as you can see i am struggling to work out hoiw to post pictures. haha
anyone know how to do it?

Trailer Builder

All Good i sorted it out So here is a Tri-Tri we built for a fella in NSW

barbender

Looks good- more pics!! Is that snow in that picture? What is NSW?
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

barbender

This is a rail trailer with a center mount loader, the one above is referred to as a bunk or crib trailer around here. Kind of nice with the racks front and rear, you aren't required to strap the load then. We can run about 102,000 lbs here in the winter when the roads are froze down, if you have the third axle on your trailer.

sawguy21

That tri-tri is quite a unit. What does it gross and how much power to pull it? barbender, I am curious about the crib trailer. Here the logs would be limited to 8'6" with that set up.
'Hay racks' are a common sight here for hauling short logs, tree length are carried on a bunk on the truck and a pole trailer with a bunk. The trailer is lifted on the truck for the return trip, some have pickers but that cuts payload.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Trailer Builder

NSW is a state in Oz. It is snow in the background. These Tare at roughly 21500kgs and we can load them up to 67500kgs.

amberwood

MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Trailer Builder

Trailer Builder

This one we built for up in Queensland, he carts 3 bays of shorts 3M - 3.5M i beleive.
It tares out at approx. 16500kgs giving a payload of approx. 28500kgs. Fully self loading...

chevytaHOE5674

Here is a typical Michigan double hauling a load of pulp.

barbender

Sawguy, I have hauled 112" length wood on that trailer, it is a tigth fit. We were also running a 5 bunk trailer we tried to run the long length wood on, the one in the pic is a 4 bunk. 5 bunk is kind of a bear in the woods, it is such a long trailer. The 112" wood is for pallets, BTW.

amberwood

Cory. Not too many log trailer builders in your part of the world.

Looks about what we need, in a perfect world. We cart a lot of 3.95 for export, current trailer is a Lowtran two bay rigid with max height pins set at 2.1m spacing. We can just squeeze on 23t. Oh and we also carry 2.5m lengths for case products, this all means we are not compatiable with the Wagner at Midway. We have to outsource the pulp cartage.

The ideal combo for us would be a 3 bay folding, to fit a short wheel base cab over, with movable bunk spacing from 2.1-3.3m. Then we can carry lenghts from 2.4 right out to 12.0

We can leave the Mack set up with the rigid and swap out to a float when needed.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Okrafarmer

Quote from: amberwood on October 19, 2010, 07:44:19 AM
Cory. Not too many log trailer builders in your part of the world.

Looks about what we need, in a perfect world. We cart a lot of 3.95 for export, current trailer is a Lowtran two bay rigid with max height pins set at 2.1m spacing. We can just squeeze on 23t. Oh and we also carry 2.5m lengths for case products, this all means we are not compatiable with the Wagner at Midway. We have to outsource the pulp cartage.

The ideal combo for us would be a 3 bay folding, to fit a short wheel base cab over, with movable bunk spacing from 2.1-3.3m. Then we can carry lenghts from 2.4 right out to 12.0

We can leave the Mack set up with the rigid and swap out to a float when needed.

DTR

Amberwood, it looks like your trailer has a loader mounted amidships. We have some of those in the states. Around here in South Carolina a lot of people use trailers that look a lot like yours but without the loader. Most commonly around here, logging is done by big companies, which harvest large tracts of land. It is economical for them to have a self-propelled log loader (whether knuckleboom, or whatever) on the logging site to load the trucks, and then the mills generally have some way to offload the logs, too, either a knuckleboom or an articulated grapple loader.

The trailers I see have two bunks like yours, without the loader. We typically see them loaded with a front load of short logs and a back load of short logs when carrying saw logs, or full tree length when carrying pulp. Around here, nobody would normally bother cutting a pulpwood tree into sections unless it is too long for the whole trailer. That does happen sometimes as some of our trees can be 80' tall or more. The mills want tree length pulp, but they will take shorter pulp, too. It has to be a minimum of 8' long usually. In these cases, they will sometimes make up a load of pulp configured like a load of saw logs, a short set on the front and a short set on the back, with space in between. A lot of the short pulp that does come in comes from arborists, who don't always have the equipment to load big logs. (Like us).
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

Now in Maine, where I grew up, the most common method of landing to mill transportation was the self-loading straight truck, known affectionately in that area as "wheelers." Usually a full heavy duty straight truck with a Prentiss or other brand knuckleboom loader mounted right behind the cab, with tandem drive axles and a retractable auxiliary axle. In Maine many of the loggers are seasonal individuals, and they often don't have much equipment beyond a skidder and a truck to haul it with. Therefore the trucks have to load themselves, and be able to get in and out of fairly tight places, since many of these landings are minimal to say the least. In fact it is very common (or was) for wheeler drivers to go pick up log loads at times when nobody is even present at the site.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Okrafarmer

Trailer Builder

chevytaHOE5674 i can't get over how many wheels you have on the drive of that truck!!!! what weight is that lugging?
Amberwood, yeh its just us down our way and a few smaller ones around the state. That 3 bay seems to be popular up north but not so much down this way.

Trailer Builder

Okrafarmer you are very knowledable on the logging side of things its great to hear these stories from around the world.
NW thanks for the great pictures

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Trailer Builder

Trailer Builder

Trailer Builder

Gary_C

Wow! Those are some huge trailers. We could not use them in the US because of restrictive weight laws. That Michigan unit shown with all the axles can go up to 140,000 lbs but they are about the only state where those are allowed. Most of us with 5 axles total can only go up to 80,000 lbs and with 6 axles you can go to 90,000 or some places a little more. But the laws between the states are conflicting and unless you work strictly within one state, you can have some problems with weights above 80,000 lbs.

For example here in Minnesota, with 5 axles I can go to 80,000 plus I am allowed 5 % over or 84,000, but not on the interstate highways. But if I go into Wisconsin, I can get a permit for hauling logs that will allow 90,000 lbs on 5 axles and no 5 % tolerance but again not on the interstate highways.

Then in the winter when the roads are frozen both states allow 10 % more on anything plus you can add a third axle on the trailers for six total and get permits for 90,000 in MN and I think 102,000 in WI.

Is that confusing enough? And then of course none of these higher weights are allowed on the interstates other than the frozen road one and you have to buy a permit for that one too.  ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Gary_C on October 19, 2010, 05:26:14 PM
That Michigan unit shown with all the axles can go up to 140,000 lbs but they are about the only state where those are allowed.

Most drivers that unload at our mill typically are much closer to the 164k max legal weight. Got to love those Michigan doubles.

barbender

Those are quite the units, trailer builder. We have lowboy equipment trailers set up like that 3 bay (I think that's what you aussies are calling them) But they're used for special permit loads, we never move wood like that. I think we should be, though. Wood is trucked such long distances these days, I'd like to see a bigger payload allowed. How in the world do you get around out in the woods with those rigs, though?  I'd think you'd have to have a landing area big enough to make a loop, how would you back those up? Sharp rigs, you make a first rate product it looks like. ;)

Trailer Builder

The yellow setup is my favourite. Up the bush they generally only let these ones in on special routes usually they will be opened out to accommodate these bigger rigs. But as you will see these units foldup onto the truck so getting them into the bush empty is not a problem its usually harder getting them out. I'm not sure if you cn put videos on here?? If you can i might add a video of one of our units unfolding in our yard. As for backing these up its easy once you get the hang of it being so big they dont make too faster movements. I will add some more, as we have built quite a few different setups.

Trailer Builder

Trailer Builder

treefarmer87

i have never seen anything like the yellow rig. it looks cool
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Trailer Builder on October 19, 2010, 04:39:13 PM
um.com/gallery/albums/userpics/23404/3042/DCP_1113.JPG [/IMG]

TB, when I was in Victoria I saw quite a few rigs that were set up more or less like this truck, with a fifth wheel at the back of the first trailer. They were enclosed van trailers, log trucks, cattle carriers, and several other cargo types. We don't seem to have those in the states (I don't know why). I was told they ride much smoother than our conventional "doubles" and are easier to control-- even somewhat possible to back up under certain circumstances. What is the term for any truck like this (logging or otherwise) that uses a fifth wheel at the back of the first trailer? My one contact there in Vic told me what they were called but I don't exactly remember. Are they "V-doubles" or something like that? "B-doubles" maybe?

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 19, 2010, 08:10:04 PM
We don't seem to have those in the states (I don't know why).

They are legal and on the roads in Upper Michigan. They are called a B-Train tractor.

sawguy21

I saw a similar set up in central B.C. but the front was also tree length. I don't know if they are still being used, the roads were wide with sweeping corners to deal with the length better than a lot of our highways. The tractors were tri drives with huge power. Only useful in the broad valleys.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on October 19, 2010, 08:29:42 PM
We don't seem to have those in the states (I don't know why).

They are legal and on the roads in Upper Michigan. They are called a B-Train tractor.

Good to know. I've never been to Michigan yet.

Trailer Builder

Quote from: Trailer Builder on October 19, 2010, 04:39:13 PM
um.com/gallery/albums/userpics/23404/3042/DCP_1113.JPG [/IMG]

TB, when I was in Victoria I saw quite a few rigs that were set up more or less like this truck, with a fifth wheel at the back of the first trailer. They were enclosed van trailers, log trucks, cattle carriers, and several other cargo types. We don't seem to have those in the states (I don't know why). I was told they ride much smoother than our conventional "doubles" and are easier to control-- even somewhat possible to back up under certain circumstances. What is the term for any truck like this (logging or otherwise) that uses a fifth wheel at the back of the first trailer? My one contact there in Vic told me what they were called but I don't exactly remember. Are they "V-doubles" or something like that? "B-doubles" maybe?
They are called B Doubles, we use 19 meter b doubles on general access roads, but this particular set can stretch out to be 21 meter b double.
These are pretty much the only double setup we run around here but in south australia they run B Trains which is basically a semi with a dolly behind and another semi behind that. Then they go right out to triple and quad road trains as well. Your doubles are very different from what we have here.

Okrafarmer

Our doubles use a dolly, and are usually only the dolly axle and a single axle in back, on both front and rear trailer.

Bobus2003

What we Use in Western SD.. Tare of Approx. 33K, GVW of 105K

Ron Scott

There are also a number shown at work in the "Timber Harvesting and  Equipment Thread ".
~Ron

Trailer Builder

Trailer Builder

Trailer Builder

Trailer Builder

This is a road train. It is 2 single trailers connected via a dolly only legal in parts of South Aust. West Aust. and Queensland.

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Trailer Builder on October 20, 2010, 10:00:06 PM
This is a road train. It is 2 single trailers connected via a dolly only legal in parts of South Aust. West Aust. and Queensland.

And NT?

northwoods1

Boy, those sure are some fancy rigs you have pictured trailerbuilder. There are a lot of guys around here running fancy trucks all painted up with flames and bright colors, Peterbuilts and Western stars mostly all decked out in chrome and aluminum everything. Mostly the high production pulpwood guys who own and run there own trucks. Most run a more utilitarian type of setup, just plain old workhorse trucks like the ones I and others have shown. Its about an even split between guys running trucks and pups or tractors & trailers with a mid mounted loader. We can go 80,000# and #90,000 in the winter. I still think nothing beats the looks of all them axles under the Michigan trucks they can sure heap the wood up on those things 8)

Trailer Builder

How's this one boys this is something we've recently taken an interest in. Its a Quad roadtrain comes in just under 54 meters!!! it weighs 53000kgs and is capable of a 117000kgs payload!!!!! 8)

barbender

Those road trains are nuts! That has to keep a guy on his toes pulling something like that. :o Northwoods, I wonder what it would cost a guy running a Michigan truck if he ran over a pile of nails or something. Man, thats a lot of rubber on those rigs. We have some quint axle gravel trucks at work, the other day the driver backed over a large chunk of concrete and took out 3 tires and 2 rims, all right in a line. He is not very popular right now :)

Okrafarmer

Road trains are the quintessence of efficiency. When everything goes well, that is.

sawguy21

WOW!!! Now that is serious trucking. What is he running under the hood? Sure don't want to stop that rig in a hurry.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 21, 2010, 11:10:16 PM
WOW!!! Now that is serious trucking. What is he running under the hood? Sure don't want to stop that rig in a hurry.

Look at the fuel tanks. I wonder how many miles or kilometers it can go w/o refueling.

Trailer Builder

sawguy i beleive this one was a 600HP but i could be wrong there but generally in the road train game they gerally run the higher HP motors.
Cowtipper those elphingstone trailers are one of the coolest things i havent seen it in person yet but i have watched it online and what not...
I don't no the fuel usage on one of the quad road trains but most of them run 24 hours so with tanks that size i'd be surprised if they would need fuel more than once every 24hours atleast.
I have some more pictures if anyone is interested? and im curently trying to load a  couple of videos to you tube.

GRANITEstateMP

Keep the pictures coming, they're pretty neat!  Nice seeing different equipment all over the states AND the world!

Matt
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

woodsteach

Keep the pictures coming x2 ;D

Transformers have nothing on those trucks.  (for those OLD timers that was a Saturday morning cartoon)  ;D

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Trailer Builder

This is a pearler! one of the local loggers bought this old growth load down and when he got to the mill the poor loader struggled to get it of.
He did several big loads like this and one of them the log was to big to pick up so they pushed it off the opposite side and busted all his guards and what not!  :D

Trailer Builder

This is a triaxle folding jinker, it looks like a pole trailer but this actually fold onto the truck without the help of a loader or excavator.
This is one of my favourites i have it framed in my office.

Trailer Builder

This is a 5 bay B-Double it was specially made for a company in New South Wales by spreading the wood out over 5 bays instead of 3 or 4 it keeps the load height down which obviously helps with stability, these trailers also have whats called EBS its like ABS but it senses when the brakes need to be applied through rollover stability.

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

BARPINCHER

It must take like an hour and a half to pretrip one of those units!  LOL!!
Serving hunters and the hunted with science based; non-traditional resouce management methods

Trailer Builder

2 air operated automatic loadbinders per bay just throw the strap and turn the air on

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Trailer Builder

Would anyone in the states be interested in gettin a folding trailer?

Thank You Sponsors!