iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying carving Blocks

Started by ahlkey, October 18, 2010, 11:38:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahlkey

I plan on cutting this week a pallet of large carving blocks from Butternut and Basswood logs. The sizes will vary from as small as 2 X 2 on the small end but the larger ones will be as large as 5 X 6 inches.  Overall length I would sell would be either 8", 12", or 16" inches.   The question I have is if they can be dryed at 8ft lengths and then cut later to size.   It seems to me that is pretty thick and would be problematic as far as warping and cracking?   If no then would 4ft lengths or less work out or should they all be cut to size now?  Would air drying be better if done in an air drying shed over a longer period or should I plan on Kiln drying as soon as possible.  Additionally, as far as sawing any pitfalls I should avoid in cutting the blocks?  I have never done Carving blocks before so I am a little unclear on how to do this correctly. Thanks.

red oaks lumber

leave them 8' lenghts. i would air dry for awhile(a few months) then kiln dry. far as sawing carving blocks, you need to saw from the inside out, there is no hard rule  of thumb on this/. if you can find someone willing to show you while they are sawing  that is the best way, the only thing finding someone that will show you. its kind of like moonshiners, no one is willing to share or teach .
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Larry

First, I wouldn't know a butternut if one bit me.

Basswood is fairly easy to dry defect free.  The biggest hazard is graying or stick stain by drying too slow.  Drying really fast in a steam kiln can also cause discoloration along with bottle neck checking.  A lot of carvers don't care if it is kiln dry or air dry although it has been my experience a majority will want air dry.  Some will want bright white wood even though it will be covered with paint.  None of them want wood that fuzzes when cut...some use rotary power tools these days. 

Saw planks 2", 3", 4", 5", and 6" thick and leave to log length.  Cut to size when you get a order.  I've resawed pieces not much bigger than a toothpick for some folks.

An order I sawed a long time ago waiting to be shipped.  If I remember right there was about 5 different sizes.  Customer called and wanted a 6th size before he even received those blocks.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jeff

What a way to go. Bit by a butternut.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Larry

:D :D :D
We all gotta go sometime ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WIwoodworker

If it's for carving I air dry and leave in 8' lengths. Cut to size when ordered.
Peterson 9" WPF

SwampDonkey

I would air dry to. Butternut is quite stable wood, not a lot of green moisture. Make sure it's stem wood and not limb wood. I've seen the odd piece carved from butternut. A local farmer received a carved mask and thought he was going to trip me up on the species used. Little did he know I'm the "butternut whisperer". :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Jeff on October 18, 2010, 07:22:22 PM
What a way to go. Bit by a butternut.

I think he got it from the squirrel fighting to keep his nuts, butternuts.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jim king

I have made thousands of turning blanks which are the same as carving blanks.  As said the cants should be cut and left several months to dry and then cut to the length you want and end sealed.   As you are using softer woods I dont think you will have much loss if you are patient.

northwoods1

Quote from: jim king on October 19, 2010, 08:58:28 AM
I have made thousands of turning blanks which are the same as carving blanks.  As said the cants should be cut and left several months to dry and then cut to the length you want and end sealed.   As you are using softer woods I dont think you will have much loss if you are patient.

Hi Jim what species of wood is that mostly? I'm wondering where all that wood ends up?

jim king

The turning blanks went to woodworkers chain store companies in the US and Canada.  I am now considering an order for 700 big box stores but waiting for the smoke to clear about the new forestry law to see if in fact it is possible to do legally.

The species list was generally:

1   Aniba rosaeodora                            Palo de rosa                  Lauraceae
2   Astrocaryum murumuru var. macrocalyx   Huicungo             Arecaceae
3   Brosimum rubescens                                 Bloodwood             Moraceae
4   Brosimum sp.                                          Arco iris                          Moraceae
5   Brownea grandiceps                           Palo cruz negro     Caesalpiniaceae
6   Calycophyllum spruceanum                Black capirona              Rubiaceae
7   Clarisia racemosa                             Guariuba              Moraceae
8   Cynometra bauhinifolia                             Dalmatan     Caesalpiniaceae
9   Diplotropis purpurea                           Chontaquiro negro   Fabaceae
10   Dipteryx micrantha                           Shihuahuaco                Fabaceae
11   Helicostylis scabra                            Madera cafĂ©                Moraceae
12   Macrolobium acaciifolium                            Pashaco            Mimosaceae
13   Ormosia arborea                                         Huayruro               Fabaceae
14   Pagamea plicata                                         Red queenwood              Rubiaceae
15   Peltogyne altissima                                                         Caesalpiniaceae   
16   Platymiscium sp.                                         Sacha cumaceba    Fabaceae
17   Platymiscium sp.                                         Orange agate                Fabaceae
18   Platymiscium sp.                                         Black agate                Fabaceae
19   Pterocarpus amazonum                            Maria buena                Fabaceae
20   Rinorea guianensis                        Llama rosada macho   Violaceae
21   Rinorea racemosa                        Llama rosada hembra   Violaceae
22   Simira cordifolia                                         Huacama                        Rubiaceae
23   Swartzia arborescens                            type of Dalmatan                Fabaceae
24   Swartzia benthamiana?                            Royal wood                Fabaceae
25   Swartzia leiocalycina                            Dark queenwood                Fabaceae
26   Swartzia sp.                                         Queen wood                Fabaceae
27   Tabebuia impetiginosa                            Black tahuari           Bignoniaceae
28   Terminalia dichotoma                            Black pashaca           Combretaceae
29   Toulicia bullata                                         Palo cruz blanco             Sapindaceae
30   Zygia cataractae                                         Tigre caspi            Mimosaceae
31   Zygia juruana                                         Tigrillo caspi            Mimosaceae

Stan snider

Jim; Your last picture caused me to be smitten with envy! Please forgive me!  :D Stan

WDH

Jim, I always enjoy seeing your wood!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Den Socling

I could hardly get past that list of species!  :o

SwampDonkey

:D I was stumped from the start. Nice colors.  :)

northwoods1

Quote from: Den Socling on October 20, 2010, 09:51:55 AM
I could hardly get past that list of species!  :o

You did better than me I couldn't make it through it :D ... all I know for sure is I wish I had some of each! Jim, I am wondering what you mean when you talk about the new laws is it difficult to export to the U.S.? Expensive, I wonder how much?

jim king

northwoods1:

This old link below is about the battle we are in.  Tonight arrives several from the US Embassy and the Peruvian  congress for a meeting about this mess.  I think we are going to be able to reverse both governments momentum.

It is a really good fight against a group of people who dont know what that are talking about but have a lot of power and money.  The law was to have been passed on Oct 9 but we are now at the point where we are renegotiating.  Just that is a positive sign.

The ECO nuts like the WWF are beside themselves.  There has been more money spent and stolen by them promoting this law in the last 12 months than the amount of wood in total that has been produced.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,45026.0.html

Thank You Sponsors!