iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is Juvenile Timber?

Started by luke, November 15, 2003, 09:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luke

What is "Juvenile Timber", and about how big are those trees "dbh", and what do you do with them?
Checking into grade sawing, building a dry kiln and moulding machines.

Don P

While we're waiting for the foresters to come back from the weekend, I looked in one of my texts and paraphrased a bit.

Juvenile wood is often defined as the xylem produced by cambial regions that are influenced by the activity of the apical meristem.
That is why there is a gradual reduction in juvenile properties as the tree matures. As the tree or crown "leaves" the area, the cambium concentrates on production of diameter growth in that area and so mature wood production begins.

Juvenile growth in most trees is in the first  5 to 25 years of growth. Juvenile cells tend to be shorter, one half to one third the length of mature cells. Thinner walled, less dense, so weaker. The angle of the microfibers comprising the cell wall are at a more diagonal angle to the length of the cell than in mature cells. This leads to lengthwise shrinkage, lower tensile strength and a greater likelihood of spiral growth.

When heartwood production begins, the core that contains the juvenile section is the first to form heartwood. Initially the production exceeds growth, later leveling off to pace new wood formation. This early heartwood contains fewer extractives and is inferior in many cases to heartwood formed later.  

Gives something else to think about in boxed heart too.

MemphisLogger

I always thought that Juvenile Timber referred to logs or boards that didn't behave right  :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Tom

Juvenile is also used to describe trees too young to be marketable, whereas, over-mature is a tongue in cheek way of saying "ya gotta get rid-a these while you still can". :)

Don P

:-[ :-X :-/ :D
Ummm, I believe you nailed the question Tom. I think I hit my thumb  ;D.

Ron Scott

Did you mean "juvenile wood" or "juvenile timber"?

Don P gave the textbook answer for "juvenile wood" and Tom for "juvenile timber".
~Ron

Frank_Pender

I had a piece of juvenile wood hangling in my classroom for 30 years.  :D :D :D It came from a semi-materure juvenile timber.  ;D  it was 5 1/2" wide, 34" long, 3/4" thick, had 4 holes in the wide end to cut down on wind resistance, and enough room on the other for two had to hold it tightly when needed. :'( :'( :'(
Frank Pender

Frickman

I like that Frank. Around here they don't allow that kind of wood anymore. It's a shame, 'cause there are alot of youngens around that could use a piece or two of it. I offered a customer of ours all the juvenille wood he wanted for his classroom, but he said he would be in big legal trouble if he took it to school. They say they want to reform the educational system, but they eliminated one of the most effective teaching tools. Go figure.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Frank_Pender

You got that correct, Frickman.   The wife and I took one of her grand children to a birthday dinner a couple of nights ago.   He wanted to eat at his favorite place in Salem, about 25 miles away.  That was fine with us.  I had, had a lousey day and almost not went.  Glad I did.  Saw one of my students from 22 years ago.  Met his wife and all and one of the first questions from him was, "You still have the paddle?'  I said, "What do you think?'  We all had a good laugh over that, but the truth of the matter was they knew I ment business and had to time for fooling around from anyone, including myself.  My kids and I had a mutual understanding: we both had a job to do and they could not get fired from their job to avoid their responsibilities.  And no one was going to fire me, and they knew that too.   Mutual respect is what ws alive in my classroom.  When it was felt that it was non existant, we told each other. 8)  

Sorry Jeff, about getting off the topic.  Kids are pretty important to me, still. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

etat

I remember very well some of that juvenile timber.  More than once had a very personal experience with it.  The teachers I remember best were the ones that EXPECTED you to learn.  AND, they're the ones that I respect the most today!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Ron Wenrich

I thought that was called the board of education.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

Our 7th grade English teacher, Mr Tenser, simply referred to it as "My little friend".

I remember when the Pacino version of Scar face came out and Pacino says "let me introduce you to my little friend" as he swings up that big honkin gun, I had a flash back. :o ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodmills1

Anyone remember nuns with 16 inch rulers?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tom

The juvenile timber my Grandmom groomed was long and willowy, usually Surinam cherry.  It was finely engineered to withstand upwards of 600 spm (strikes per minute), a pace she was fully capable of administering.  Charlie and I were generally sent to select our own. :-/

OneWithWood

QuoteAnyone remember nuns with 16 inch rulers?

My knuckles still hurt!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Stephen_Wiley

My grandmother (who served faithfully as my mother) decided that the endless supply of yardsticks she got from her work, were best used to measure the honeriness or disobedience in me.

She chose my backside as the place to measure, don't know what if any measurements were accomplished as the yardsticks kept breaking across my buttocks .  :D :) :D :)
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Buzz-sawyer

Wiley ...the story sounds awful familiar....I remember laughing as the yard stick broke and running off...(IS that what its like to be invinsible?!?!)
Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Thank You Sponsors!