iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Recommended Metal Detector.... Looking to Saw Yard Tree's

Started by H60 Hawk Pilot, October 17, 2010, 10:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H60 Hawk Pilot

I have a lot of Big Yard Tree's to Saw and Worried about Metal in Them !

What Kind (name brand) of Metal Detector can find metal deep in the wood ?

I have a old White Metal Detector (some where),is it good enough to find metal ?

When you check the Tree or Log... How do you .. Sweep the Detector over it.  Do you Sweep long ways >> and then,  move another foot ^^ around ^^ the log / tree  and  sweep >> long wise again << .

If it' a Good Detector ..... How Deep ____ inches will it " Penetrate "  into the Wood ?

Some of my Tree's are over 30 inches thick.

H P
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

terrifictimbersllc

I use a Rens 4000 (bailey's about $1400-1500).   http://metaldetect.com/p_4000_detector.html
How deep depends on the size of the metal.   They say 13" for a 16d nail and 18" for an 8" spike.  You can easily detect metal and locate its position along the log.   Can't use it near the mill (3-4 feet).  Will find your cant hooks, spare tire, boots, pry bar, chain saw, or anything you lose in the snow.  :)

Business wise for custom sawing I think it's a mixed bag owning this.  I think it makes a good impression generally with customers.  When you don't find anything you're no better off than if you're optimistic.  After you hear something the questions begin.   You lose work if it keeps you from sawing a log.  You help your customer if you find metal in a low value log. High value logs ought to be sawn anyway, most customers understand this.  Definitely valuble if you're buying or taking a lot of donated logs or sawing a log for yourself. Gives you choices.  Want to go over all surfaces of log 3-5 scans lengthwise rolling it if possible.  But often the noise can come from stuff in the ground.   Have had mine 2 yrs sent it back once for warranty service.     No questions or cost, except shipping both ways, Lacey-Harmer is a good outfit. Expect to replace the rechargeable battery every several years.

I also use the Lumber Wizard III wand type detector ($75)  to scan wood on the mill.  Good for declaring the next 1-2" "clean" for the next cut.   
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Left Coast Chris

I've been using a HelliFlux magnetic locator used by surveyors to find metal pins and property corners.   It is pretty powerful.  It seems to go maybe 3 or 4 inches deep Im guessing in wood and it can't be used within about 6 or 8' from the mill.

I would get out the White metal detector and give it a try to see what it does.   I also like the longer handle of the HelliFlux so I don't have to bend down to scan under sides of logs.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

H60 Hawk Pilot

Left Coast & Terrific

Good Advice and I Know the Score Now.

The $ 1,400 for Rens 4000 is out ofmy price range but the other ones (price) are buyable.

I'm going to Look for My White Detector and see how it works.  I bought it in the mid 80's and it would penetrate the ground about 1 foot, was $2XX.XX and high ended unit when I bought it.  Hoping it will do 3 to 5 inches as the other ones are doing.

Thanks' Again

Hawk
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Den Socling

I used to do service and installation for MDI out of Oregon.
http://www.metaldetectorsinc.com/MDI_HTML/Pages/Probe_2100.html
They are top notch people with top notch products.

bandmiller2

Hawk,cut a section of log drill holes at one inch intivals put a nail in and try your old whites detector you'll get a fair idea of how good it works.I bought a simple cheap detector made for home wood shops good for 3 or 4" only use it on suspicous areas keep it handy if I see stain on an opened face.Usally don't use detectors seem to be more trouble than their worth.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Jasperfield

I have used Schonstadt metal locators for 32 years surveying. It is the metal locator of choice for surveyors in the U.S. They're about $800 and detect ferrous (iron) metals only.

They will accurately locate a surveyors tack beneath 10" of asphalt. And the service from Schonstadt is second to none. I sent in one of my older locators for service and the company replaced it with a new one free of charge. Its warranty had long been expired.

JV

I use a White for general scans.  When we sawed some barn beams, I bought a Zircon Metalliscanner 6.0.  It is a small hand held detector used to locate metal behind walls.  You can find them for around $125.00 or less.  Suprisingly accurate and gives the depth of the metal.  The Schoenstedt magnetometers are super sensitive and you might be able to find a used one.  I was locating survey pins along a road one day when a car passed about 6 feet from me, and the instrument squalled like a banshee.  Very sensitive.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Banjo picker

I use a whites ...I only check logs that are sucpect...I have never hit metal in a log that I had checked with it...On big logs you got to check an roll several times...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

If I'm sawing for a customer, it's his job to scan and look.  If/when I hit something, it's his.  If I scan then, in his mind, it was my fault?   I spend my time sawing not scanning and looking.

I am continually on the lookout for obvious signs like irregular bark, pitch pockets, and stained butts.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

stained butts are caused by fresh green grass!  the most accurate detector of metal is a brand new very sharp blade.
i agree have the customer do the scanning.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

PineNut

I use a Whites 4900/D. Well I use it for locating underground wires with good results. Used it once on a small but old yard cedar for my brother-in-law. Knowing the location it came from, expected it to be full of metal. Couldn't find anything in it and thought the detector wasn't doing its job. Sawed it anyway and found no metal. Since most of my logs come from the woods behind my house, I use the most reliable detector, a band. 

den

Here is a recommended list of Metal Detectors by others... any comments

10" + Pulse Induction type
Garrett Treasure Ace 300-350
Garrett XL 500 used $200
Garrett Master Hunter 8"-10"
Fisher 1224-1225
Fisher Gold Bug
Fisher C2-6...slow motion
Minelab
White Classic IV
WhiteXLT...fast swept
Homelite SuperXL, 360, Super2, Stihl MS251CB-E, Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul, Wallenstein BXM-42

Banjo picker

Quote from: Magicman on October 18, 2010, 09:03:15 PM
If I'm sawing for a customer, it's his job to scan and look.  If/when I hit something, it's his.  If I scan then, in his mind, it was my fault?   I spend my time sawing not scanning and looking.

I am continually on the lookout for obvious signs like irregular bark, pitch pockets, and stained butts.

In your situation , I would do the same thing that you do...but my mill is at my house and they bring the logs to me...I saw them at my leasure...when I want to...so I don't mind taking a look inside a log that looks problamitc...I don't have to tell them I have a dector if I don't want to....I almost never saw when they are there...thats the sure way for me
to hit the stops or something. :D  I have done it several times...

I cut mantle for our vet a couple of weeks ago...it was loaded with metal...by finding it before putting on the mill I saved one or maybe two bands...I charged him $100.00 for cutting that mantle an what little side lumber he got with it...I showed him where the metal was in the remaining part of his left over log...he was happy with it and I was too...to each his own....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

metljakt

As a former land surveyor,  I use a device called a "mag-locator".  This instrument has only a straight pipe with no field at the end.  It's very accurate.  These devices are not cheap, and they are available at surveyor's & engineers supply houses.

Good Luck

Tom

Den's list is a good one.  White and Garrett  are the big names.  There are others that have gained popularity through the years and are good machines too.  That level of detector found in the Garretts, Treasure Ace on his list, are amply sufficient to pass over a log.   Expect about 4-6 inches in depth with some invironments allowing as much as a foot.

White also sells a hobby model that is comparable to the Garrett, usually in the $300-$600 range.

Once you get into the well made manufacturers, the price of detection goes up with the number of doo-dads attached; that's discrimination and depth detection, etc.  They are things that might make a difference in coin shooting or looking for artifacts, but not too important on a log.  On a log, you want the thing to go off on the slightest hint of any kind of metal, not discriminate.

The neat  thing is that you will be opening yourself up to another hobby that coincides very well with sawing.  It's fun to look over old house sites and campgrounds.

Depth will depend on size of metal, so orientation makes a difference too.  A nail laying on its side will be detected deeper than one whose head is the only thing the detector can "see".

Slabs

I'll echo Tom's reply and add "know the ground under the check area".  If you're cutting over an old junkyard you are gonna get a lot of falses.  Ask me why I know.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!