iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawdust on boards

Started by Okrafarmer, October 16, 2010, 01:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

We just started sawing with our bandmill and are looking for the best ways to dry lumber economically on a small scale. We are looking at simply using a heavy duty dehumidifier and some fans in an enclosed space. I assume this will work faster than mere air drying.

I've seen some people on here say you need to get all the sawdust off your roughsawn lumber before drying it for best results. Can you tell me how picky you need to be about getting it all off? It seems like an extra step while milling to brush the sawdust off and would really slow down milling, especially for a one-man operation.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Gary_C

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 16, 2010, 01:13:51 PM
It seems like an extra step while milling to brush the sawdust off and would really slow down milling, especially for a one-man operation.

You are right, it does. But if you leave it on the board, first it could cause mold and second it is just as wet as the lumber and that sawdust has to be dried as well as the board. It doesn't absolutely have to be removed, but it does speed up drying as there is just that much less moisture to be removed and the air flow across the surface of the board is better.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

tyb525

Okrafarmer,

I am a one man operation, and I try to get all the sawdust off. What I do is after I get several boards (a "layer') on the stack, and I'm ready to put stickers down for another layer, I take a wide push broom and make one or two passes to get most of it off. It seems to do a good job, and it's not that time consuming, maybe 15-30 seconds a time. Sometime's I will do the same with the cant, if there is a lot left on it.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Okrafarmer

Ok, I guess that makes sense.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

poolman

Cleaning your lumber from sawdust before you stack is smart.When the sawdust dries it will blow around up your nose and get in your eyes.Even if it is just a hobby, taking the time to get the crap off the wood will pay off later.In the winter months a solar kiln with all vents closed and a dehumidifier inside worked well for me.I used a garden hose for my drain and duct tape to seal around the hose.I use a push broom or the garden hose to clean sawdust off my boards.Dry stickers help prevent mold on the stack. Happy milling, brian

woodmills1

one hint to reduce the need to sweep dust of is to give the boards a good thawk

meaning have them in your hand while removing from the mill...hold them on edge and then let them fall to a suddend stop   thawk  much of the dust is thrown off......see newtons laws for why....reduces amount to be swept away
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Okrafarmer

I do that, but, the tulip poplar is so juicy it all just sticks there, and I wouldn't want to break the wood (yes, I can break anything).

WDH

Getting the sawdust off the green lumber is a pain no matter how you do it.  I stand the green boards together against the side of the shed and sweep off the sawdust with a push broom after I have about 20 or 30 boards sawn.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

In addition to the above methods, I've been known to use a backpack leaf blower to blow the sawdust out of stacked and stickered piles.  Works pretty well too.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

woodmills1

and yes the sawdust will cause more stain or mold in summer
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!