iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using sycamore for construction lumber

Started by sawyerkirk, October 15, 2010, 01:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawyerkirk

I'm going to be building a small shed, and have some huge sycamore llogs. I was wondering about cutting it into 2x6's and 1x6's to build it with. Any thoughts?

ely

build it green and let it dry. or buy a new drill and build it dry.

Bibbyman

Quote from: ely on October 15, 2010, 02:42:26 PM
build it green and let it dry. or buy a new drill and build it dry.

Here is a shed extention to our sawshed.  All the truss and purlins were sawn from sycamore and put up fresh off the mill.

I'd add... build with it with fresh sawn lumber right off the mill while the water is still running out of it. (We have a number of times.)   

If you're thinking about letting it dry, better stack and stick and weight it down good and band it with load binders.  Then like ely said,  you'll have to drill every nail hole.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sawyerkirk

that's my plan, it'll come off the mill and be put up. Thanks

WDH

If you don't put it up green and straight, it will warp and walk around on you as it dries unless restrained in a straight-jacket  :D.  Sycamore has more moves than the Dallas Cowboy's Cheerleaders  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Skip

Try quarter sawing some for flooring really looks great and makes a nice floor.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on October 15, 2010, 08:35:51 PM
If you don't put it up green and straight, it will warp and walk around on you as it dries unless restrained in a straight-jacket  :D.  Sycamore has more moves than the Dallas Cowboy's Cheerleaders  :).

Am I missing something? How can you build with green lumber and not have it warp and twist and your building all fall apart as it dries>

If you do build with green sycamore, is this the only species you can do it safely with? Which species can you use green, and which can't you?

We have lots of sycamore available around here.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Bibbyman

I suppose you can use any type of green hardwood for constructing an open structure like a pole barn.   

I wouldn't use any kind of green lumber to build a finished building like a house with full sheeting and interior closed tight like with drywall. 
Sawing since '94

sawyerkirk

If I didn't have a huge pile of sycamore logs, I wouldn't be thinking of using it, but I do, so I am. I'm still very tempted to throw it in the kiln first. with a couple tons of weight on top. Everything is going to be 2x6 and 1x6. I have huge logs, so I will quarter saw as much as possible. maybe this will minimize the movement some.

sawyerkirk

My other option was hackberry, and I know it's even worse than sycamore when it comes to moving.

bill m

If you are using it for framing lumber won't it be weaker if you quarter saw it?
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

scsmith42

Quartersawn sycamore does not move very much, unless there is some type of defect in the board.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Qweaver

Maybe I was just lucky in getting some good logs but I build one of my larger sheds (24x36) using mostly sycamore framing and I have not had any problem with warping.  The lumber had been stacked for about 3 months so it was still a little moist.  I wonder if it would work for making posts and beams?  We are thinking about building another cabin using post and beam construction and I have a lot of large and small sycamore logs.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Magicman

I realize that this thread is about Sycamore, but using other species green may be of interest. 

I have sawed and sold SYP to a builder.  I sawed it one day, and he nailed it up the next.  He would then come to the mill and tell me what to saw next.  He built two homes and was very unhappy when I ran out of logs and had to move.
I never got a chance to see either of these homes being built, and have no idea what happened as the framing lumber cured.

There is a third home that I do regularly see that was also built with my fresh sawed SYP.   After the OSB sheeting is nailed to the studs, nothing can really move.

I'm not saying that I recommend using green lumber, but these are three instances of entire homes being built that I personally know of.  There have been numerous barns, outbuildings, etc. that I have sawed for that were built with fresh sawed pine and poplar lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bibbyman

We sawed a house out of oak for a couple.  They'd bring a few logs and I'd saw this or that.  They'd nail that up and bring more logs.  The project lasted more than a year. The framed in house with roof staid empty for some time before siding and interior finishing was done.  It looked good when finished.

It's a shame there ain't more and better markets for sycamore.  We have a lot of it and most make real nice lumber. 

Years ago when we were getting lumber dried for sale to the local craftsmen,  we sawed and dried out a 1,000 bf of sycamore just to sale to customers that wanted wide boards for shelves and such.  A do-it-yourself cabinet maker bought most of it and made kitchen cabinets out of it.  I didn't get to see them but he was pleased.  I would think you could stain it to look like maple or cherry. 
Sawing since '94

beenthere

QuoteIf you are using it for framing lumber won't it be weaker if you quarter saw it?

How do you figure that to be?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

Quote from: Skip on October 15, 2010, 09:00:16 PM
Try quarter sawing some for flooring really looks great and makes a nice floor.

That's interesting.  Never thought of a quarter sawed sycamore floor.  I bet it is quite distinctive.  Wonder if there is any problem with it being too soft?

I quit wearing high heels when I hit 60 so don't suppose if it would make any difference. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Skip

Larry, it looks very good and holds up very well. Quarter sawed some for a customer about 5 yrs ago for his cabin and it still looks great. He told me he gets a lot of compliments on it and when he tells them it is sycamore they are amazed.

paul case

a pic of my red oak paneling put u green, you can see some shrink if you look close.                                                               

a pic of my dads add on to his barn. all framed with green oak lumber i sawed. even the posts were green oak.
i built my home out of green sawn oak lumber. it adds some interesting different challenges to building. we didnt get too concerned with shrinkage. it did some but we were going for the rustic look. it turned out great and we really enjoy it . plus there isnt a mortgage payment to contend with since i sawed all the lumber for it.  we did saw and put it up. some days i would have to go cut logs to saw so we could finish one part. it works just fine and yes all the windows and doors still work like they did when we put them in.
i have used some sycamore on projects like barns and yes put it up green or you will be drilling every nail hole. my experience is it is still pretty heavy even when dried out some. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!