iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

saw for 24" Alaskan

Started by Stan, November 15, 2003, 05:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Picked up this mill at a flea market. Would like to make some 12' poles for a barn. The trees at my place can pretty much all be cut with a 16" blade. How much saw would I need to run a 24" bar? I've got a Stihl/Husky dealer about 20 miles from here and an Echo guy inside of 50.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Hey Stan,

Don't forget used saws.
        Stihl 066
         Husky 288,  or  394, or 395

Any of these would make the job easy.  Considering how limited your intended use is,  why buy new?

If you get a decent deal on used, you could turn around and get all your money back.
Phil L.        P.S.   Stihl 066 and Husky 395 are current mods.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

ADfields

I would not want smaller than a Stihl 066 or Husky 395 for milling, it soaks up the power big time.  I don't know what Echo has in this range if anything but you will want bigger no matter how big you get it.    I would go on and get a 30" or bigger bar from the get go.   It will let you get around odd spots on the log and give you some more teeth so more time between reshaping.   Also you need riping chain or regrind some to rip with.   Bucking chain will give you a very ruff rip cut.
Andy

IndyIan

Hi Stan,
I use a 372 on my alaskan, it works pretty good on small softwoods.  24" oak is a no go.  It's my only saw so that's as big as I wanted to go for general use.
If your going to do a few pine 6x6's you can get away with smaller saw.  If your going to saw alot then get a big saw and have fun!

Ian

Stan

Well how long a bar could I use on a 24" mill?  :-/

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Stan,

The max. you could use would be just over 30".  Too much bar and you would have either a dangerous condition, or an unbalanced one.

The mill can adjust down to cut with a shorter bar.  Theoretically, you could use a very short bar, but would only be able to cut the length of the bar, minus 6 to 7 inches.   You lose about that much bar capacity, when you attach the mill.  ( The mill has to clamp on.)
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Oregon_Rob

Depends what else you want the saw for. Here are some different thoughts

1.      If you: Want a saw to make poles from 16" logs once in a while and other than that will use it for general wood cutting. Get yourself a 372 with a 24" bar, open up the muffler and never look back. It is a great all around saw.

2.      If you: Want a saw that is big enough to rip through any milling project with the 24" mill, but don't want to spend too much. Get a used 394, 395, 288...

3.      If you: Want a saw that is big enough to rip through any milling project with the 24" mill, but don't care what it costs. Get a new 385 and have it modified.

I could go on and on.
Chainsaw Nerd

Stan

Gentlemen (?) thank you for all the information.  8)

Thank You Sponsors!