iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Hickory?

Started by MartyParsons, October 14, 2010, 07:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyParsons

Hello,
Tomorrow we will be discussing how to saw Hickory at our field day. Do you have any advice I can share? I have a shag bark Hickory ready for the mill.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Autocar

I always pulled as much lose bark off as I could,it hurts like H when a small peace flys off and hits you.  :D Smells great in the mill shed when you saw it into lumber.
Bill

tyb525

Like Autocar said, remove the loose bark. Otherwise, saw like you would a fairly unstable wood. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to treat it for PPB. The contrasting heart and sapwood can be beautiful.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

JV

Ditto on the bark.  It can jam in the hose and control track.  I use 4 degree blades and turn the cant frequently to relieve stress.  Hickory is a way underrated wood.  The last I sawed was 6/4 for a hay floor and stall floor in a horse barn.  Once it is nailed down, it's like steel.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

MartyParsons

What can you tell me about the Power Post Beetle? Is there a way to prevent them? I read the Sawmill and Woodlot piece on them and it sounded like even if kiln dry it still could happen.

M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

ohsoloco

The best start for preventing powder post beetles would be to remove all of the bark.  Even if you have a wany board you can often peel it off...can't recall how well the bark peels off of hickory though. 

paul case

the hickory we have is not shag bark but the bark comes off board or cant edges real easy and leaves a clean surface.pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Chuck White

Hickory saws pretty nice when it's green.

If the logs have been cut for a year or two, they'll be a lot harder.

In 2007, I sawed 3 (approx. 16") hickory logs that had been stored in my garage since the Jan 1998 ice storm.  Being in dry storage for 9 years really made them saw hard.

Last year I sawed some 4x4's and 4x6's for cross-members on my brothers hay wagons and they were cut the day before I sawed them.  They didn't saw much different than Hemlock.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MartyParsons

We sawed three Shag Bark Hickory logs with a new LT50HDD47-RA today. 17 owners were here for the seminar. We changed blades from .045 4 degree to the .045 7 degree. The 4 degree blade showed heat after the 4th cut. The 7 degee we completed the rest of the cuts with no change in blade tension. It sawed straight.
Thanks for your input.

I did not get any pictures. I guess I need to hire a picture taker.

Open house tomorrow.

Marty

WDH

Like has been said, leave NO bark or even cambial remnants on the lumber.  Edge it all off.  Also, the lumber can be sprayed with a borax product like Timbor or Solubor at a rate of  one pound of borax dissolved in one gallon of water and sprayed on the green lumber before stickering.  You can save money by buying the agricultrial borax that is used as a fertilizer supplement versus the name brands Timbor and Solubor.  The active ingredient is the same and in the same percentage, but the cost is about 3 times lower since it is not a branded and labeled product.  Same borax though.  Check out you local Ag chemical supplier.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

carykong

I  have used Timbor with good results. In most cases, I did not spray the stickered boards but waited until application,such as, final cut for rafters,studs,or flooring.  Less waste of chemical.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Chuck White on October 15, 2010, 09:45:37 AMIn 2007, I sawed 3 (approx. 16") hickory logs that had been stored in my garage since the Jan 1988 ice storm.  Being in dry storage for 9 years really made them saw hard.

1988 or 1998? Or 19 years?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Chuck White

My mistake/mistype, "Ice Storm '98.  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ljmathias

There's a recipe somewhere on the forum using antifreeze (ethylene glycol), 20 mule team borax and boric acid which you can google to find.  I forget the exact amounts but you load up the antifreeze with so much of the two solids that you'd never think it will dissolve, and then add just a little water to help- stir vigorously and DON'T try to spray it on- don't ask... I use a paint roller with an extension handle, coat both sides when I sticker.  Powder post beetles do love them some hickory- had a whole cord go to frass over the fall and early winter- wood was so peppered with holes it was almost as light as balsa.

I agree with the comments on its beauty and utility, although it's a bear to work- hard and warps just enough that you can't plane it easy without taking off a bunch but then if you try to smooth it some with a belt sander, you won't need to go to the gym for a week.  Takes a nice finish and if you get the colors right, looks great.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Thank You Sponsors!