iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

EYE PROTECTION

Started by Kirk_Allen, November 15, 2003, 04:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

What is everyone using for eye protection.  

I have tried safety glasses of all types, goggles with the small vent holes and just about everyother type of eyeware you can imagine and I still cannot keep the sawdust out of my eyes.

Im now going to try swimmers goggles.  

Any fixes for this common problem is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kirk

Tom

Hey Kirk,
The best thing to do is keep the wind to your back.  Unfortunately the wind is smarter than most of us and changes after we get started.  :D

I have a chainsaw hat with earmuffs and a screen face shield.  It works real good when I'm working in a head-on wind.  It helps some in dry powdery cedar dust but not too good.  The dry dust seems to hang in the air.

I wear prescription lenses and have since I was 5 years old.  I guess I have gotten used to having eye protection from these.  Most anything in front of your eyeballs helps.  My lenses have either been case hardened glass or plastic (in later years).  You might consider trying an optomologist for either prescription or clear sports glasses.  Since these guys sell glasses they should be "up" on what is available. :)

SasquatchMan

You can buy "Dust Goggles", which are very similar in function to a set of ski goggles - more of a seal around the face.  I don't know how well they work, as regards fogging or anything.  In fact, ski goggles might be pretty good, as they are shatter resistant, and have anti-fog technology, often in the form of having two thin lenses (sort of a doublel-glazed goggle).  Might be worth a try.  

I usually wear CSA sunglasses, but as you say, a guy still gets dust in his eyes.  As a carpenter, I'm almost able to stand it, but not quite, and you sure as hell don't want to go blind half way through a cut!
Senior Member?  That's funny.

rebocardo

If fogging is a problem, try chemical safety glasses with the polycarbonate lens that meet the ANSI standard (87.1?) for impact. Instead of holes, they have little valves to prevent splashes from going inside the glasses while still allowing the glasses to vent to the outside.

Like this:

Since saw dust is a concern, I would get the padded ones that conform to yoru face better.

Ski glasses are for small branches, they will not prevent flung steel (bolts, chains, bullet casings, slivers, slag, etc.) from going through the lens and destroying your eye.

The test is stomp on the ski glasses and see how many slivers it breaks into. The exact same thing will happen when a piece of wood or a chain breaks and hits you in the head.

These types of goggles, through dorky, can save your eyesight in a worse case scenario and can be worn over regular glasses.

rebocardo

I wear prescription safety eyeglasses with side shields. When doing something that requires more impact protection or a lot of metal dust being thrown back I wear either a face shield or goggles. For sawdust, I would go with the goggles.

Thank You Sponsors!