iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What size to cut

Started by Qweaver, October 14, 2010, 08:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

After building a house and seven sheds I've decided that I like my framing lumber to be cut full size at 1.625" x 4 or 6 or 8, etc.  I also cut siding at 1" which gives me slightly less than .875" including the saw kerf and drying.
But what do I cut when a customer wants 2x4, 2x6, etc.  Often when I ask them whether they want actual size or the size they would get from the box store...they just don't know.  Full 2"wide boards are over kill in most cases and also harder to nail properly. 
If they are adding on to an existing structure then using full size lumber can be a problem.  I've had several customers recently that really could not decide what they wanted and ended up saying "just cut it how you usually do".  I hate that!  If they are building a shed, no problem, but if it's going to be a finished house then it can be.  It's easy if the customer tells me exactly what they want it's OK...but often they don't.  I cut at 1.625 by .125 over ( 3.635", 5.625", etc.)on the long side if they want dimensional lumber.  How do you do it?
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

northwoods1

I just ask the customer what there intended use is and suggest to them what size to cut. Also explain about what kind of shrinkage they might expect and allowance for planing if that is what they need. If they know exactly what they want it can make things easier. Your size for framing lumber sounds about right to me.

paul case

i try to cut the rough size of framing lumber same as box store lumber. what if they didnt get enough out of their logs to finish a project? it is good to be able to go pick up what extra they may need at the box store and get finished with lumber that matches the rough sawn.
as far as my own projects my 2x4's probably will be 3 3/8x1 3/8 . just because its easy. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

isawlogs

I usualy cut all to nominal size and tell them that they really should get there lumber planed if they are building a house , it just makes life easier to finish. No matter how good a sawyer you can be , there will be a board or three that just aint the same thickness, width or a wave/dip... It happens it is what it is ... a mill. This is why someone came up with a planer  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Larry

Stock windows and doors won't fit full size lumber without adjustments.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Chuck White

I've only had a couple of customers that asked for anything other than full size, ie: 2x4, 2x6, etc.

For 2x4's/6's, they wanted 6/4.  They said that by using 6/4, they can use 16 penny nails.

Makes sense to me.  If you drive a 16 nail through a full 2x4, there's only about 1/4 inch sticking out the other side.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bugdust

I try not to change a customers mind if he already knows what he wants, but I won't hesitate to suggest that a full dimensional 2" X 8" is stronger than the same in a nominal size. It seems most customer like the idea of full dimension. I've even had a couple ask for over dimension so they can plan to full size. Since that hasn't happen to often I just charge to the nearest full size. As for my preference, the bigger the better.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Magicman

In almost 9 years of sawing, I have sawed full sized 2X4's and 2X6's, etc.  for only one customer.   He told me later, "never again".    He was building a barn and had to buy spikes to nail it together.   Air nailer was no good.   I think he spent most of his time nailin'-n-cussin'.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

snowshoveler

I built a shed for myself this summer and cut everything full dimension 2x4,2x6 2x8 and so on.
I used galvanized nails and i can tell you that a 70 dollar box of nails(50lbs) dosent go very far with this sized lumber.
Next building (later this fall for my 4 sided planer) will try coated screws,seems lot of contracters here are useing them.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

redbeard

I use Full dimension lumber for visual effect most of the fastening is done with Timberlok screws  or joinery I wouldnt want to nail 6" galv. spikes all day rather use a cordless driver much easier but they do cost alot more than nails.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Okrafarmer

My dad framed the main floor of the house he built with rough cut full size 2x4's. Since he did the entire level out of it, there were no compatibility issues. When he did the upstairs a few years later, he used planed 2x4's.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

isawlogs

I have a pasload air gun and used to get the four inche nails for it .. are they obsolete now ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

barbender

I sawed a bunch of 2x6 I intended to use for my house. I sawed them at 1 3/4"x5 3/4" so I could plane them. I ended up buying finished lumber, because at the time the price was so low for finished 2x6  I couldn't justify the price to plane mine.At any rate, a friend with a logosol planer told me he doesn't like them any more than 1/4" over finished size, with his smaller planer he has to take it down in 2 passes if it is more than 1/4" over.
Too many irons in the fire

okie

Quote from: Chuck White on October 14, 2010, 09:22:06 AM
I've only had a couple of customers that asked for anything other than full size, ie: 2x4, 2x6, etc.

For 2x4's/6's, they wanted 6/4.  They said that by using 6/4, they can use 16 penny nails.

Makes sense to me.  If you drive a 16 nail through a full 2x4, there's only about 1/4 inch sticking out the other side.

??? Your 2x4's are thicker than mine. 16 penny common is 3 1/2" long.  
Drive that through a full 2" and you have 1 1/2" sticking out. I think 16 penny sinker and box are shorter, definitely smaller dia. Nail gun nails may be too, I don't know, but 16 penny common are fine for full 2" lumber, at least my chicken house thinks so  ;)
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

jcoleman

Good point about nail guns - most guns can only take a 3 1/4" nail or 12d nail (16d "short"), never mind it's not always easy to get a real 16d ( 3 1/2") for a nail gun, if the nailer can take it. Ask the customer how he plans to nail things together. Before having a mill I bought some 2" material for repairs and the nail gun didn't make it, even with some 16d nails in it; ended up doing a bunch of hand nailing with 20d nails to hold good.

Other than that, if I have dead dry spruce to saw, I saw it to "standard" planed sizes, since I don't worry about shrinkage; otherwise it's 1- 5/8" x whatever plus the 1/8" and it usually shrinks to standard size (close) fairly quickly; keeping in mind I live in a fairly dry climate (SW Colorado). Measure some store bought sometime - it isn't perfect by any means.
Husky 272, Makita 6401, TimberKing 1600

sigidi

Down here in Aus most our house frame stuff is now softwood and it is sized at 70x35mm, so that starts life as a full 3x1.5" and then gets dressed back. Most the nail guns use a 75mm (3") long nail which is 3.05mm thick dunno how that converts back to your numbers, but they are easy enough to get and the gun sends them through really easy.
Always willing to help - Allan

customsawyer

I have done a lot of work on my house with the full size lumber and was able to get 3 1/2" ring shank nails that fit my paslode nail gun worked like a dream.
MagicMan when you cut for your customer a store bought size 2X4 do you charge for 1 1/2 X 3 1/2 or do you charge for a 2X4?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Chuck White

Quote from: okie on October 16, 2010, 11:50:39 PM
Quote from: Chuck White on October 14, 2010, 09:22:06 AM

For 2x4's/6's, they wanted 6/4.  They said that by using 6/4, they can use 16 penny nails.

Makes sense to me.  If you drive a 16 nail through a full 2x4, there's only about 1/4 inch sticking out the other side.

??? Your 2x4's are thicker than mine. 16 penny common is 3 1/2" long.  
Drive that through a full 2" and you have 1 1/2" sticking out. I think 16 penny sinker and box are shorter, definitely smaller dia. Nail gun nails may be too, I don't know, but 16 penny common are fine for full 2" lumber, at least my chicken house thinks so  ;)

My mistake,  :-[ that customer was intending on using a nail gun and I just assumed that nail guns used #16 nails!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

paul case

custom,
when i saw a 1.5''x3.5'' the customer is usually the first to call it a 2x4 and so that is what i charge for ,a 2x4.   i call it what it is a nominal size(same as the lumberyard) 2x4.   .66bdft per linear foot. pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Captain

I'm impressed by anybody that can cut to the nearest thousandth of an inch.  I'm usually quite happy if I'm within a 1/16th.

Captain

paul case

.5 was easier than 1/2 to type!!!! pc
pc

Thank You Sponsors!