iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a saw for ripping

Started by woodsy, October 13, 2010, 06:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsy

What's your opinion on the Husky 395xp and the Stihl 660?  I'm looking to purchase a new saw that will primarily be used for free hand ripping large diameter logs in half with a 36 inch bar. Putting cost aside, which one would you prefer and why?  Pro's and cons? 

Also, any thoughts on a particular brand of bar or chain for free hand ripping?

Thanks for your insight.
LT40HDG38, Logrite T36 log arch, 42 hp Kubota, 6 foot cross cut saw, lots of axes and not enough time

OAP

I have a 395 and I'm happy with it but I never used it for riping just felling and bucking, I'd say the lack of vibration on this saw would be a big plus when free hand ripping compared to the 660. Having said that the 660 has a lot of fans and I've never used one.  :-\

Nate Surveyor

I used to have a 66 on a Logosol. Worked good.
Dunno about the Husky.

If I were you, I think I'd go cut for an hour with both saws, and take the one that "felt good" to me. (Insert friends with saws!)

Of course, you could locate that big V8 monster chainsaw!

Nate
I know less than I used to.

Al_Smith

Quote from: woodsy on October 13, 2010, 06:13:52 PM
Also, any thoughts on a particular brand of bar or chain for free hand ripping?

Thanks for your insight.

Any bar will work .A standard round ground chisel chain will cut about as good as anything .Hold about a 45 or so degree angle cut so as not to jam the saw full of french flies .

Too much in parrellel with the log will pull big long nasty chips ,clogs the saw .Directly at 90 degrees is cross grain and slow as a snail .Play with it a little , it'll come to you .

Jim H

I have a 394, which is an older version of the 395, and I've done some ripping with a 660. Both are great saws, the only thing I noticed is the 660's oiler is marginal when ripping with a 36" bar. The husky puts out plenty of oil and isn't turned all the way up.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Jim Spencer

You should buy ripping chain from Baileys.
Do not use low profile chain for free hand cutting.  It will break too easily.
Lots of experience,(about 10 years) with my Logosol.
Jim

otherguy

Quote from: Jim Spencer on October 14, 2010, 10:45:51 PM
You should buy ripping chain from Baileys.
Do not use low profile chain for free hand cutting.  It will break too easily.
Lots of experience,(about 10 years) with my Logosol.
Jim

I have the 660 and have only used it for milling.  Has worked great, of course works really good when the chain is sharp so be prepared to have a few ripping chains on hand.

Right now I only have 4 but want to get more so I can switch out more often so it will go faster, and like Jim I have gotten all my ripping chains from Bailey's

jteneyck

When it comes to ripping chains, I favor Oregon's over Baileys by a wide margin.  Much less stretch and the links never bind as they often do on Baileys, at least in my experience.  I wish Stihl made ripping chains because their other chains are pre-stretched and have harder chrome than everyone else. 

otherguy

Quote from: jteneyck on October 17, 2010, 03:06:28 PM
When it comes to ripping chains, I favor Oregon's over Baileys by a wide margin.  Much less stretch and the links never bind as they often do on Baileys, at least in my experience.  I wish Stihl made ripping chains because their other chains are pre-stretched and have harder chrome than everyone else. 

don't want to hijack the thread, sorry, but where do you get Oregon's ripping chains?  I couldn't find them at Bailey's

Cut4fun

Quote from: otherguy on October 17, 2010, 05:39:54 PM

don't want to hijack the thread, sorry, but where do you get Oregon's ripping chains?  I couldn't find them at Bailey's

ripping chain link  http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?skw=ripping+chain&PageNo=1&x=9&y=7

otherguy

Quote from: Cut4fun on October 17, 2010, 07:09:48 PM
Quote from: otherguy on October 17, 2010, 05:39:54 PM

ripping chain link  http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?skw=ripping+chain&PageNo=1&x=9&y=7

Doesn't look like they sell the Oregon 3/8 (.375)x .050

Rocky_J

otherguy, there's three pages of results on that link. Look on the second page for the Oregon 30RP.
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=WP100+30RP&catID=

woodsy

No one is hijacking the thread, it's all good info and I appreciate it.

Has anyone used or is anyone familar with the Total Super Bar?
LT40HDG38, Logrite T36 log arch, 42 hp Kubota, 6 foot cross cut saw, lots of axes and not enough time

bill m

I have free hand ripped thousands of logs with both ripping chain and regular chain and the only difference I see is the ripping chain gives a little smoother cut.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

otherguy

Quote from: Rocky_J on October 17, 2010, 07:30:21 PM
otherguy, there's three pages of results on that link. Look on the second page for the Oregon 30RP.

The link you posted is the Woodland Pro, only Oregon ripping on page 2 i saw was .063 gauge.

jteneyck

QuoteI have free hand ripped thousands of logs with both ripping chain and regular chain and the only difference I see is the ripping chain gives a little smoother cut.

You are absolutely correct.  If smoothness is not a requirement save your money and just use a robust regular chain.  If you're freehand ripping I don't know how you'd be able to cut in a really straight line anyway, making the benefit of a ripping chain a moot point.   

Cut4fun

Quote from: otherguy on October 17, 2010, 08:53:48 PM
Quote from: Rocky_J on October 17, 2010, 07:30:21 PM

The link you posted is the Woodland Pro, only Oregon ripping on page 2 i saw was .063 gauge.

Dude dont you have a search feature like the rest of us. Just type in 3/8 050 Oregon ripping chain, page after page for you to dissect.

I have had good luck with Tony making chain to order before. here is OREGON 3/8 050 RIPPING CHAIN in only 20" 24" lengths,   http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Oregon_Chainsaw_Chains_s/194.htm

kelLOGg

Quote from: jteneyck on October 17, 2010, 09:12:13 PM
You are absolutely correct.  If smoothness is not a requirement save your money and just use a robust regular chain.  If you're freehand ripping I don't know how you'd be able to cut in a really straight line anyway, making the benefit of a ripping chain a moot point.   

Based on one the big 43 inch log I ripped I could not tell the difference either. I switched chains during the cut, too. I was free hand-halving the log to get it on my mill and the cut was certainly not straight. I've bought my first and last ripping chain.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Al_Smith

Quote from: jteneyck on October 17, 2010, 09:12:13 PM
  If you're freehand ripping I don't know how you'd be able to cut in a really straight line anyway, making the benefit of a ripping chain a moot point.   
Granberg makes a little device they call a mini mill or I assume they still make them .Others make them too

You nail a guide piece on the log ,2 by 4 or something and cut away . I have one that was given to me and I can rip pretty straight with it .It's not my favorite use of a chainsaw but on the other hand you can salvage logs that would otherwise just be firewood  or cut down a big log for further break down on a band mill or something .

jteneyck

QuoteGranberg makes a little device they call a mini mill

Yes, but then it's not freehand.  Anyway, I have a similar device but even with it it's hard to rip through a 20" diameter log and have it come out all in plane.  It's better than pure freehanding it, and maybe good enough for getting the cut log onto a mill, but that's about it, IMO.  Then again, I make lumber which I later use for furniture making so maybe I'm just more particular than some. 

Al_Smith

:D Yes of course .I doubt anybody has the idea you can get good finish grade lumber from a chainsaw although for some reason a few think you can .

In my case all I was doing was cutting 12 and 18" oak planks 4 inches thick for loading planks .I edged them with a 12" direct drive table saw .Try that sometime it's about like wrestling a railroad tie .

Thank You Sponsors!