iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black powder rifle !

Started by isawlogs, October 13, 2010, 12:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

After wanting one for a long time I am the proud owner of one. I saye of one cause I aint sure what exactly the nephew picked up for me , other then " Its good lookin' " ( Not that I have ever herd that line before and been somewhat disapointed  ::) )  But I do trust my nephews to a certain extant. I will be going over there over the weekend and get to see it up close. I figured that it would make me a nice birthday gift for myself.
Deer hunting is just around the corner  8)

Just talked to the nephew , CVA Staghorn inline muzzelloader.  Comes with see through scope mounts, I really like that type of mount , have it on all my guns.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Well, don't post something like this without pictures.  ::) You know your going to get lots of onlookers. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

Good for you Marcel. A buddy of mine has an inline and says they work real well with the pyrodex pellets.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

isawlogs

SD , Will get pics as soon as I can , it being 4hours to the left of me (when looking nord) aint helpin'  ;)

Jon , I got some pyrodex with the gun , it is new in the box. Was on sale, my nephew called and told me about it. I made the call to the gun shop and he picked i up for me. will be going to my dads this coming weekend and it will be mounted witth a scope , then off to the firing range we have set up there.  8) I love going out and firing a bunch of rounds.  ;D
Will have pics when I get back next week .   
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ely

i shoot the power belt bullets in all the inlines i have . they shoot well. be certain to take a brass brush with you that way you can brush her out after every 5 shots or so. they tend to get a mite tite on the bore after several rounds. ;D

Raider Bill

What's a inline?
I know nothing about black powder.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Texas Ranger

Bill, a modern change in bp shooting.  The firearm usually has no hammer, but an internal striker that hits a cap that is "in line" with the bore, at the back of the barrel.  It is a little safer, and a lot more weather proof.  Kinda looks like a single shot break open shotgun.I have seen three varieties, one with a lever, one with a bolt, and one break open.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ron Scott

I shoot the power belt bullets also in my 50 cal. inline Thompson Triumph. 
~Ron

isawlogs

Bill , I don't know much about them. TR pretty much explained it, mine is a bolt action, my nephews have the break open type , those are much easier to clean , well that is what my nephews claimed, I told them that the only thing that was easier on them was the putting in and removing of the primer, better access to it. With the bolt action type you need a little tool to go and get the primer.
Now I need go and search power bullets ..  :P   

Marcel

Raider Bill

Thanks guys. My Son has expressed interest in black powder. Now that he's got most of my guns at his house he thinks I should start buying black powder so he can borrow them too. ;D

I used to have a safe full of toys. He bought a  safe and now his is full and mine is empty. He doesn't like 1911's, lever action nor double barrell's so that's all I have left. ::)

MAybe for Christmas I'll get him a black powder something.

Texas Ranger

I like the traditional rifles, but, the in lines are easier to clean, generally.  I also like the contained cap, kinda weather proof.  Your milage may very.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

ely

i like what you like bill, plus probably what your son likes also. ;D

Raider Bill

He's always coming up and telling me about some great deal on a gun, "just what you need dad!" Hum... more like just what he wants.  :D
His 30 th birthday's tomorrow. My first born.  8)  I bought him a membership at the gun club.

I'll probaly be in the black powder business by christmas. :D

celliott

I have a CVA Kodiak .50 cal. inline, and I found that the powerbelt bullets (full size with a gas jacket on the bottom) load a heck of alot easier than the saboted bullets, regardless of how many shots youve fired. I broke a ramrod trying to seat a saboted bullet.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

VT_Forestry

I was always wanting a BP gun, and last year I finally went down to Bass Pro and found a CVA Buckhorn on sale for $99.  Nothing pretty to look at but it'll handle 150 grains of powder and it's pretty darn accurate to boot.  Plus it gives me a few extra weeks of hunting every year, so it's definitely worth it.  The Pyrodex pellets are easy to load and shoot fairly clean. 
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

chain

I try to be as true to tradition as possible; I shoot a TC Hawken .50 caplock. This rifle well balanced, accurate but I also have a inter-changeable Green Mountain .36 barrel for it as used for smaller game, i.e. squirrels, rabbits. The GM is a heavy piece of steel but very accurate.

I just couldn't bring myself to the more modern inline BP rifles. I hunt the very hills and hollows my ancestors did one hundred and fifty years ago, can't let 'em down, but I realize how 'second growth' I am to their toughness in foraging , hunting, and providing for their families. 

Weekend_Sawyer

I have 2 Cabellas Hawkens in 50 and 54. I like them but with bow and rifel seasons I don't hunt too much with them, couple of days a year.

Jon

ely

jon , i have one of those cabelas jobs in .58 cal. and it aint so much to look at any more but it is my go to BP rifle. i once had to epoxy the stock back together and build me a new wedge out of aluminum to hold the barrel in. also sporting a new fiber type ramrod.
apparently that model was not designed to club a wounded doe with as she ran thru the woods ;D.

northwoods1

Blackpowder is fun to shoot and hunt with. I like the traditional guns, percussion or flintlock is better, and shoot traditionally with patched pure lead round ball and real honest to goodness black powder. Use bear grease for patch lube and to wipe the bore and gun down with. I like to do it the way Daniel Boone did!! ha ha :)
I build them too. My little hunting rifle is iron mounted with hadforge mounts, a 42" s1in60 twist barrel w/round bottom rifling, flintlock with set triggers. Parts cost about $250 then just the labor of taking a board and whittling away everything that wasn't a gun 8)

[img width=550 height=371]h

Weekend_Sawyer

Ron Scott

~Ron

ARKANSAWYER

Northwoods knows what a black powder rifle is.  Mine is a 35 year old CVA Kentucky and only shoots patched balls.  It is real good out to 75 years and has taken many deer.  As soon as this election is over I am going to take it to the woods and get some freash deer meat.
  The in-lines are neat and some shoot as well as my .270 but if you want black powder and white smoke then you need the old style guns.  Do not make fun of my .45 round ball as it has never failed if I popped the cap and the thing go off in a cloud of smoke.  The last deer I shot with it was coming in at last light and at 40 yards I touched the trigger and it looked like the flame could have burned the hair off that deer.  :D  By the time the smoke cleared it was so dark I had to get a flashlight to see if I drew blood.  There it laid right where I shot it and it probably died from the shock of the muzzle blast coming out at it in the night.   :D
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!