iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pictures of my old hewn log home start to finish

Started by fred in montana, October 12, 2010, 10:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred in montana

I built this cabin in Alabama over the course of about 3 1/2 years. I didn't have a sawmill in those days and I didn't have a dovetail jig. (Wish I would have!) I hewed timbers for a full year before starting on the foundation. I did buy a few sawn timbers for the first course.

Mostly red oak. 28x32 inside dimensions plus the porches. Story and a half. I used McRaven's book and methods.

I sold that place and moved to Montana. Wish I could have hauled it out here!

woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

barbender

Wow Fred- I bet it was hard to leave that place, it's beautiful, not to mention all the work you put into it. What brought you to Montana?
Too many irons in the fire

CX3

I bet I could sit on that front porch and wear that guitar plumb out :)
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

1938farmall

Fred,  that is pure artistry.  nice stonework also.  just like paging thru McRaven's book.  al
aka oldnorskie

okie

I saw these pictures on your web site but they look better here  :)  Man, you have some real talent buddy. When I think of a log cabin, what you built complete with foundation is the exact picture that comes to mind. Never saw an old saddle notched log cabin (although I know there are plenty), but there are numerous civil war era hewn dovetailed cabins of the civil war era close to my neck of the woods. Thank you for sharing.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Bill Gaiche

Great cabin and photos. Okie have you moved to Murphy yet? bg

okie

Not yet Bill, working on making a hard used trailer house livable. We got the trailer cheap, will still be cheap after I'm done. Living there without payments is the only way we'll ever make progress on building our house out there, it'll be cramped and uncomfortable but being debt free will be worth it. Hopefully be there in the next two weeks, but of course I said that two weeks ago ::)
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Bill Gaiche

Okie let me know and i will come down and say howdy. if you need anything just holler, bg

sprucebunny

Beautiful house ! It's exactly what I'd like to build but I'm not sure I have the patience. Thanks for the pictures  :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

fred in montana

Thanks everyone.

It wasn't too hard to leave it for Montana. I love it out here.

I live in an old cabin here that I fixed up. It is also for sale by the way if anyone is interested:

http://montanacreeksidecabinforsalebyowner.blogspot.com/
logdovetailjig.com

broadaxe48

Fred, beautiful work. Very inspiring. My question to you relates to plans and county building departments. What plans did you work from to build this cabin? Did you draw them up yourself or work from stock plans? Could you direct me to the ones you used? Thanks for any help.
Steve

fred in montana

I drew my own plans. Building inspection was not too strict at that time.
logdovetailjig.com

Magicman

I'm glad that this got bumped up.  I still enjoy looking at those pictures of your progress and reward.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!