iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl vs Oregon Bars

Started by John R, October 11, 2010, 04:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John R

I've noticed that the Stihl bars hold up a lot better than the Oregon bars.
Is it just me having this luck with the Oregon bars, or do you find the same thing?

The Stihl bars seem to be harder, and not wear out as quick.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

Rocky_J

Oregon uses softer steel in their chains, sprockets and bars. Some users prefer the softer chain because they think Stihl chain is too difficult to file. You just have to get a better file because the Oregon files are designed to file the softer Oregon chain.

But yes, all Oregon stuff is softer and faster wearing than the Stihl stuff.

John R

I've never had any trouble filing Stihl chain, but I do use Stihl files, I quit using Oregon chains and bars, I buy everything Stihl now, seems to last longer.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar

Cut4fun

Quote from: John R on October 11, 2010, 07:01:42 PM
but I do use Stihl files,

Just so you know Stihl files come from out sourced company and stihl stamped on them.  My stihl  dealer even quit handling the stihl square files and went with another name brand. Said it was cheaper for him to buy them and resale. Still sales stihl round files though since they were same same  ;).

HolmenTree

Funny here in Canada  brand new Stihl saws are sold equipped with  Oregon bars up to 24". Painted Stihl grey and "Stihl" on them.
The radial port rim sprockets on these saws with Stihl stamped on them are also made by Oregon. Oregon and Stihl files are made in the same Swiss factory.
Willard. :D

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

CX3

I'm with HolmenTree.  All the same stuff, different color paint.  Lots of new saws come with oregon parts on them right out of the factory.  Just depends on how much you like to pay for the paint. 

Its kind of like motor oils and gasoline and diesel fuels.  How many different company's actually make the stuff? About 3.  How many companys sell the stuff with different names?  About 600000000.  Its the same exact product with different prices and advertisement gimmicks.

My .02
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Al_Smith

I don't know if there is any difference in the bars or not .I've seen as many worn out Stihl bars as I have Oregon .

Now the Stihl chain is definately harder,a known fact .As for files and to add my two cents ,I've had better luck using I think "arbor pro " sold by Baileys .It seems at least to me these files are less agressive and appear to file easier than any other I've used on that hard chain .

The Oregon files in my opinion are just about the worst on the market .They won't even hold up to Oregon chain for very long .Pferd is a much better file .

Magicman

I too prefer to use the "PFERD" file.  It is German made and sold by Bailey's
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bill m

I agree with Al_Smith. I have used both and find sometimes a Stihl bar will last a long time and sometimes it will not. Same with Oregon. As for files I like Pferd best.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

northwoods1

Stihl bars are most likely better but how much more do they $$ over Oregon? I've been using these GB bars and chain for a while now and have no complaints. Got a real deal on the chain in loops and it holds up really well boy did I put it to the test. For files I use Oregon or the saw shops around here mostly carry an off brand for 9.99 a box of 12 and I will buy a bunch of those. I found the key is to just go through a lot of them. For a raker file I just buy a 10 or 12" fine or 2nd cut file from the hardware store and keep it where it doesn't get damaged when I'm not using it like being loose in the toolbox. I've never used Stihl bars I always thought they were to expensive same thing with there chain. Yes I'm a real cheapo :D when it comes to some things at least.

Cut4fun

I've tried a lot of different files and ended up using these. What's really cool, they are a Ohio company.  
They even resharpen files in larger lots if you check into it. Good deal if your using them square files.  ;)   www.saveedge.com

John R

Quote from: Cut4fun on October 12, 2010, 01:49:30 PM
I've tried a lot of different files and ended up using these. What's really cool, they are a Ohio company.  
They even resharpen files in larger lots if you check into it. Good deal if your using them square files.  ;)   www.saveedge.com

Wonder how they re sharpen a file and keep it from getting smaller.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar

Cut4fun

Quote from: John R on October 12, 2010, 06:18:20 PM
Quote from: Cut4fun on October 12, 2010, 01:49:30 PM

Wonder how they re sharpen a file and keep it from getting smaller.

QUOTE from SE. Most files can be resharpened from 2 to 6 times depending on the use.

All you got to do is ask those in charge. I dont work there  :D.    Here is the info once again and you can call them  http://www.saveedge.com/resharpening.html   INFO

chevytaHOE5674

Save edge files are where its at for sharpening. They hold an edge longer and IMO/IME leave a little better edge on the chain. Also stihl chain lasts longer than anything I've tried and its all we run on any of our saws at work (maybe 20 or so saws of every color/make/model). For bars I prefer Stihl ES bars/ GB titanium bars (if you can find them) or Sugi Hara (also if you can find them).

donny hochstetler

some years ago I had a bad experiance with oregon bars fought that saw for three days till I figured out that the new bar was bent checked two more new bars at the shop   bent must have been there press or something anyways I started using TOTALbars these are the best bars out there IMO this steel is so hard n high tensil you have to see it to believe it

CX3

I am glad to hear some info on the pferd files. I have been wanting to try some.  Gonna order from baileys in the mornin.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

northwoods1

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on October 12, 2010, 08:34:29 PM
For bars I prefer Stihl ES bars/ GB titanium bars (if you can find them) or Sugi Hara (also if you can find them).

Haven't seen those Sugi Hara bars around for years but I beleive they were one of the best bars I have ever used, absolutely top quality steel very tough and wear resistant. GB titanium bars are good too lots of guys running them on processors around here.

I am not a big fan of file resharpening or paying very much for a file that will see hard use such as a chainsaw file. For a really expensive file I might see it to be cost effective to resharpen maybe in an industrial setting but to have saw files chemically sharpened seems crazy and a was of time they only cost so little. In fact it is probably one of the cheapest things there is buy a couple boxes and your good to go for one heck of a long time even with the 9.99 per dozen files.

Warren

I hate to spoil anyone's day, however, I toured the Blount facility in Guelph, Ontario, Canada last fall.  This is the location where they make some portion of "hand held" size Oregon saw bars.   They also make Stihl saw bars in the same facility, as well as a couple other brands I can not remember off the top of my head.  Very interesting process.   Each bar is tempered a total of 3 times after certain processes.

They also make Oregon and Stihl saw chain in the same facility....  Now THAT is a job that I want NO part of...

-w-
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

JimMartin9999

Wow, Don´t kid yourself.  <It is almost impossible to ost something contrary to the editors´s viewpoint.
Jim

beenthere

Quote from: Warren on October 16, 2010, 10:03:06 PM
They also make Oregon and Stihl saw chain in the same facility....  Now THAT is a job that I want NO part of...

-w-

Why is that?  ??? ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rocky_J

Regardless of where they are made, there is a huge difference between the two brands of chain and bars. They use different formulations of steel with different hardness levels. I can tell the difference in the chains just by how they sharpen with a file. And if you run Stihl chain on an Oregon bar, then you will see a wear lip forming on the bar after 4-5 tanks of fuel.

Al_Smith

They probabley wouldn't wear out as fast if the danged saws oiled like I think they should rather than the way the EPA dictates they do . Good grief they have some far fetched idea that a little oil spinnng off a chainsaw bar is akin to the wreck of the Exon Valdez .

Warren

Quote from: beenthere on October 16, 2010, 11:01:00 PM
Quote from: Warren on October 16, 2010, 10:03:06 PM

-w-

Why is that?  ??? ???

Beenthere,

They make something in excess of 250,000 ft of saw chain per day at that facility....   one link at a time...  From an engineering stand point, it is (to me) interesting to see all of the equipment and how it can handle all of the small pieces and assembles them quickly and efficently.   Kinda like "WOW, how did someone come up with THAT neat idea ?"

However, being an operator...   watching an endless stream of saw chain...   and links...   and cutters...   and rivets...  and chain...   and links...  and cutters...   and rivets...   All day long...   Not my cup of tea....

I am not picking on, or denigrating, machine operators.  But for me,  I would sit there for about 5 minutes and fall asleep... 

-w-

LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

HolmenTree

Warren I too toured that Oregon plant in Guelph, Ontario back in the early 1980s. The plant used to be called Planer Chain Ltd, and they made sawchain long before Oregon Saw Chain was even in business. Oregon Saw Chain bought them out in 1952. In 1953 Oregon was sold to Omark Industries, then in the 1980s Blount bought out the company.
But I never heard of Stihl sawchain being manufactured there. ???

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

bill m

Quote from: Rocky_J on October 16, 2010, 11:06:57 PM
And if you run Stihl chain on an Oregon bar, then you will see a wear lip forming on the bar after 4-5 tanks of fuel.
I've never noticed this and have run many different chain / bar combinations. Maybe your running your chains to tight.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Thank You Sponsors!