TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Margeson Insurance

Peterson Swingmills

Pacforest Supply Company

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Farmi Winch Direct

Comstock Logging

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Stihl vs Oregon Bars  (Read 16175 times)

Offline Rocky_J

• Senior Member x2
Re: Stihl vs Oregon Bars
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 11:06:57 pm »
Regardless of where they are made, there is a huge difference between the two brands of chain and bars. They use different formulations of steel with different hardness levels. I can tell the difference in the chains just by how they sharpen with a file. And if you run Stihl chain on an Oregon bar, then you will see a wear lip forming on the bar after 4-5 tanks of fuel.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 05:36:50 am »
They probabley wouldn't wear out as fast if the danged saws oiled like I think they should rather than the way the EPA dictates they do . Good grief they have some far fetched idea that a little oil spinnng off a chainsaw bar is akin to the wreck of the Exon Valdez .

Offline Warren

• Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord.... Col. 3:23
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 08:30:20 am »
They also make Oregon and Stihl saw chain in the same facility....  Now THAT is a job that I want NO part of...

-w-

Why is that?  ??? ???

Beenthere,

They make something in excess of 250,000 ft of saw chain per day at that facility....   one link at a time...  From an engineering stand point, it is (to me) interesting to see all of the equipment and how it can handle all of the small pieces and assembles them quickly and efficently.   Kinda like "WOW, how did someone come up with THAT neat idea ?"

However, being an operator...   watching an endless stream of saw chain...   and links...   and cutters...   and rivets...  and chain...   and links...  and cutters...   and rivets...   All day long...   Not my cup of tea....

I am not picking on, or denigrating, machine operators.  But for me,  I would sit there for about 5 minutes and fall asleep... 

-w-

LT40SHD42, Case 1845C, W&S Forklift, Baker Edger ...  And not near enough time in the day ...

Online HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there.....done that"
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 09:53:21 pm »
Warren I too toured that Oregon plant in Guelph, Ontario back in the early 1980s. The plant used to be called Planer Chain Ltd, and they made sawchain long before Oregon Saw Chain was even in business. Oregon Saw Chain bought them out in 1952. In 1953 Oregon was sold to Omark Industries, then in the 1980s Blount bought out the company.
But I never heard of Stihl sawchain being manufactured there. ???

Willard.

Offline bill m

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 08:08:15 am »
And if you run Stihl chain on an Oregon bar, then you will see a wear lip forming on the bar after 4-5 tanks of fuel.
I've never noticed this and have run many different chain / bar combinations. Maybe your running your chains to tight.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Offline Rocky_J

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 08:15:47 am »
Nope, that's not it.  8)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 05:41:21 am »
If you think about it the cutting conditions have a lot to do with how long  a bar will last .It would make sense that a saw used perhaps by an excavating contracter cutting up soil laden wood would wear faster than a northern fallers saw cutting clean wood .Stumping is hard on a bar and chain too not to mention the poor old saw .

Then too regardless of what people might think it appears at least to me that some bars are not quit as robust now of days as they were in past times .I suppose I might have half a dozen Stihl bars hanging on the wall that got beat up .Most of them I've worked over with a belt sander though and they seem to be okay .In addition I have maybe a dozen or so Stihl chain loops I have to spend some time on that got rocked and it was too much of a pain in the behind for the tree service owner to repair .

Rocked chains are the only time I use a Dremel type sharpener because you can wear out a dozen files not to mention your arm on a rocked Stihl chain .Tough rascals  to fix .

Offline Ed

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 07:58:54 am »
I picked up a 24" Stihl "ES" bar a couple of weeks ago. Pricing was a few bucks cheaper than an Oregon or Windsor from Baileys and 5 bucks more than the last 24" Total I bought.
Kind of suprised me, as I think the Stihl is a better bar.

Ed

Online HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2010, 11:14:27 am »
Stihl ES bars are good bars indeed. I have an old German made ES 28" bar that won't wear out. The rails have not one chip in them and sprocket nose still tight. But being a harder bar the bar is almost like a laminated consumer bar where the rails spread and can't be properly re-tightened anymore. So I don't use it anymore. The ES did take a tightening for the first 3 or 4 times but then that was it.
Al, forget the dremil on rocked chains. Clamp your saw in a bench vise, chain tight and bring back the cutters with a 4 1/2" hand held angle grinder. Ever so gently so you don't burn the teeth. Then finish with the file.
Worked for me for years.
Willard

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2010, 08:19:02 pm »
I've used a regular die grinder before just never thought about a small side grinder . I do have a dandy little DeWalt though that tried to digest my index finger a few months ago .Oh it felt sooo good after it quit hurting .Only took about a week .

Probabley not a smart thing to do is sharpening the mower blades still attached to the mower but of course not while the mower is running .I'm fast but not that fast . :)

Online HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2010, 10:53:03 pm »
 :D Yeah you gotta hang onto those side grinders they can be real dangerous especially the big guys. I wear heavy welding gloves when I do alot heavy zip cutting. The end of my gloves index finger are always cut off.
I find the dremil stone makes alot of heat on the cutters and actually tempers them harder making filing next to impossible. The bigger coarser side grinder disc doesn't put out near as much heat and alot faster then the dremil.

Willard.

Offline Ed

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2010, 11:40:32 pm »
FWIW, I took a quick look at my new Stihl 24" bar tonight. Laser etched....."Made in Germany". This wasn't one they had laying around, he took it from a new shipment that wasn't even sorted out.
Maybe Canadian bars are different.

Ed

Offline mad murdock

• Senior Member x2
  • The woods is the best "office"!
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2010, 03:54:24 pm »
I just got a new Carlton bar from Baileys closeout section, and it has stamped on it "made in Germany".  It is a decent bar, and it appears to use the same sprocket tip as the Oregon bars do (1 rivet style).  I like Pferd files, I have bought a dozen of them from Baileys a couple years back, and still have about 6 left, I have cut about 25 truckloads of wood so far, and have used 2 chains, and just replaced the  windsor bar with the Carlton, and new Oregon .063 skip-tooth full chisel chain.  Man the old 372XP RIPS through the Douglas Fir like butter now!  I usually touch up the chain with a swipe or 2 of the file each tank of gas, and it always cuts good, I keep the rakers a good 1/32"  below the cutters, so I never have to push the saw through the wood.
'64 Garrett 15A, Woodland Bumblebee CSM, Granberg Alaskan III, Logosol Timberjigg, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Offline dancan

• Full Member x2
  • Even when i'm not busy i'm busy.
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2010, 08:26:43 pm »
In my neck of the woods a Stihl 16" bar is in the 50.00$$ range and I can buy an Oregon bar and chain combo for less than 49.00$$ so Oregon it is .
Are Stihl's better , I'm not sure , I have more hours on my Oregon's than my Stihl's that I'm currently using and am finding that I have to dress the Oregon's more often but they both get wood on the ground .
Since most of my cutting is for $$ I consider bars and chains wear items and factor that in the job and since I quit smoking several years ago I equate a chain (16" to 18"are the most common around here ) to a couple of packs of smokes so I don't spend much time on rocked chains (unless they're long ones ) because it cuts into time that could be used for something more important or enjoyable .

Online HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2010, 11:02:19 pm »
FWIW, I took a quick look at my new Stihl 24" bar tonight. Laser etched....."Made in Germany". This wasn't one they had laying around, he took it from a new shipment that wasn't even sorted out.

Ed

Ed, for as long as I can remember Canadian trade laws stipulate Stihl can only sell their foreign made saws in Canada if they have a Canadian made product on it. That product is the guide bar which are made by Oregon with Stihl colors and logo on it. From the 1960s to about 1987 Windsor was the bar of choice for Stihl but then switched to Oregon after some oil hole issues with the Windsor bars.
But heres the catch Stihl saws sold in Canada with 24" b/c and longer can be all German made. Canadian made Oregon is only used for under 24" bars.

Willard.

Offline Cut4fun

• Senior Member x2
    • Chainsaw Repair Site
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2010, 07:52:18 am »

Ed

Ed, for as long as I can remember Canadian trade laws stipulate Stihl can only sell their foreign made saws in Canada if they have a Canadian made product on it. That product is the guide bar which are made by Oregon with Stihl colors and logo on it. From the 1960s to about 1987 Windsor was the bar of choice for Stihl but then switched to Oregon after some oil hole issues with the Windsor bars.
But heres the catch Stihl saws sold in Canada with 24" b/c and longer can be all German made. Canadian made Oregon is only used for under 24" bars.

Willard.

Now that all makes sense why my MS361 I bought from Canada had a Oregon bar in Stihl dress.

Offline Rocky_J

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2010, 08:03:08 am »
That also makes sense why Canadians all seem to run Oregon bars and no one thinks there's any difference between the brands. They have never run the real Stihl bars.

Online HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2010, 09:50:18 pm »
Like I said earlier Rocky I do have a German made 28" ES Stihl bar from when I bought my 066 brand new about 18 yrs ago. Hell of a tough bar.

Willard.