iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Door smoke

Started by Highlander, October 11, 2010, 04:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

I noticed i had some coming out around the door of my eclassic 2300.  How would i know if its just the gasket, which seems to be hard, or if the door is warped??
thanks

jason1977

i dont no but i was just wondering how old it is because i have heard of this.  i just bought mine 2300 in the spring

MudBud

Highlander, I just changed my door gasket after 2 years because I let the fire roar one day while the door was open and it melted and crisped one section. 

Each season I adjust the door adjusters to make it a little tighter.  If you close the door handle with hardly any resistance adjust the two mechanisms a little, even 1/8-1/4".  This should help.  If not try a little more but there will be a point where you wont be able to latch the door closed. 

If that doesn't work, might be time for a new gasket, kit is roughly $60 and includes the sealant and enough gasket material.  It takes about 1 hour to replace.  Just make sure your fire is out.

Highlander

This is my second year with the stove and in the past im sure that flames have rolled out the door at one point or another. I will try to adjust it and see if that helps. i have no idea how i would tell if it was warped or not...

stumper

Scrape the door clear, then place a straight edge on the plate.  I used a level.  If it is not flat check for a space behind the plate.  Report the problem to your dealer if you have  any warping or a space behind the plate. 

I assumed,  incorrectly, that this plate was sheilding like of the reaction chamber and that some warping would be normal.  This is not the case.  My dealer told me of doors that have lost this plate shutting down the boiler.  They have replaced many.  Mine  is on  order.  In the interim I have added some sheet metal screws at the direction  of my dealer.

MudBud

Stumper, good to know.  I see a slight warp on the edge of the plate, will do what you suggested and then call the dealer.  What are the purpose of the sheet metal screws?

stumper

According to my dealer the plate covers insulation and once it warps it allows moisture to get behind the plate and rust out the mounting bolts.  If that happens the plate can fall off.  This exposes the insulation and  is "bad".  There is apparently a flange behind the plate to which the sheet metal screws will attach the plate .  The hope is to cain some added attachment to prevent the plate from falling off until the door can be replaced.  Apparently,  my dealer has numerous doors on order but there is an issues with shipping.  This  is a warranty item but like the other issues they cover the part but expect the owner to pick it up from the dealer (1 3/4 hours away) and install it.

MudBud

Good to know, I see a little warp, less than a 1/16" on the outside of the door.  CB does not like to ship to customers, I have a 1.5 hour drive each way to my dealer as well.  So will you be getting a whole new door or just the plate thats attached by the 4 bolts?  I hope they increase the thickness of the plate.

stumper

I think it is a whole new door.  We probably go see the same farmer for our parts.

MudBud

CP Enterprises in Beverly Mass?

Highlander

just went to my dealer and told him about the smoke coming out of the door. He told me that on the old design, where the bolts come from the outside in, are the doors having the problem. He said the bolt get to hot and break then the door has enough play to move and warp. He told me that it covered under warranty. I can take it off and bring it in and it will take them 1 hour to change out the whole inner door to a new one, or they would come to me and of course charge me their labor to take off and such.

Highlander

Does anyone know the easiest way to remove the door of the 2300??

Thank You Sponsors!