iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building the Crib for the twins (New Pics)***(Finished Product Pics)****

Started by CX3, October 11, 2010, 09:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

Well most  of you know that my wife and I are having twins in April.  I wanted to build their crib so we went to the timber and found a good cedar to take out.  This is me and Kati Jo standing by the big cedar that will eventually be the crib, cradle, changing table, and maybe a small dresser for the kids.

This is where I get a little disappointed.  I wanted to use the mules to skid the log out.  But we have to use the tractor to pull it down because we didnt want to spook the mules.  We were using a three year old on the right so we didnt know if he would come untrained or not so we opted for the tractor , at least until the tree hit the dirt.

This is after we used the tractor to pull the log up in the clearing.  This was a whole family ordeal.  Everyone wanted to go get the tree because they are all so excited about the twins.  They are sitting on the log.

In this picture we have already bucked the log into three 8 foot logs.  I am hooking the tongs getting ready to skid to the truck.

And this is the mules taking the load up to the landing.  More photos to come of the saw milling and building.  Thanks for looking.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

fishpharmer

That's a really special cedar tree.  Great looking family and mules, thanks for sharing.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Ianab

That's going to be a good story. Good that you have the photos to put in an album that can go with the crib and furniture. Hopefully it will stay in the family for generations, and your great-grandkids will be able to see the story behind the crib.

I build a crib for our daughter, from a tree I cut as well, but nothing as cool as dragging the logs out with the mules  ;D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Meadows Miller

Gday

That cedars going to make some  great things that will be passed down through the generations with a great story to go along with them Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

thecfarm

Keep it on the same thread would be better for the story and easier to follow. Which I plan on doing. Sounds like quite the adventure you and your wife are about to go on. Those ceder don't like to crash through other branches to well. Too light as you know.
I had one Haflinger that we thought we was going to cart ride and work in the woods. Took me a few days just to get him to walk through the woods. Than I had to get him use to the bushes under his belly. Wife could not take care of animals anymore so we sold him.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Piston

This is gonna be a great thread to follow.  I've had the idea of making a crib from my own lumber as well, I'll be especially interested in your build for some pointers.  Although I need to get going on step one first  ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thehardway

Congrats on the upcoming children and very nice pictures.  One word of caution, keep mama away from that cedar while you are sawing and working it as well as away from your clothes if they have a lot of sawdust or residue.  ERC contains some powerful essential oils.  It has some pesticidal, astrigent, sedative and toxicity effects which are not recommended for pregnant or nursing women.

"Cautions for Using Cedarwood Essential Oil

Cedarwood essential oil should not be used in pregnancy or with young children, due to its toxicity; in France, cedarwood essential oil use is restricted, due to its abortive and neuro toxic abilities. Do not confuse Atlas Cedarwood essential oil with Texas or Virginian Cedarwood as the oils are chemically different. Used with care, Cedarwood can be of great use but, as is the case when using any essential oil, professional advice should be sought, if unfamiliar in the use of essential oils."

Granted you are not using concentrated essential oils but the principle remains the same and it is better to err on the side of safety.

Can't wait to see pics of the furniture!

Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

That is a great story and the beginning of a tradition.  That is very special showing the tree, and it's journey into family history.  I built the cradle that all of our Grandchildren used and now a Great Grandchild. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

Nice video and song, says it very well....thanks for posting.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

CX3

Alright well I hauled the 3 logs to a good friend of mine to get milled.  It took about an hour and a half.  I dont know what the footage was we didnt measure.  Some of it was beautiful, some of it was ok looking, some was totally infested with ants and holes.  I may need to saw another and get some more 1X lumber, it really didnt make as much as I thought it would.  Oh Well. 

Also thank you all for the comments.  I really like the song.  I am working on it now with my guitar.   

I need to know how long before I can use the lumber for the crib?  It will be stacked on small one inch square slats.  In a barn.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.  God Bless.  Paul.

Heres the sawmill pics.

You Better Believe It!

rbarshaw

Quote from CX3 "I need to know how long before I can use the lumber for the crib?  It will be stacked on small one inch square slats.  In a barn.  Any thoughts?"

I cut some erc 3" thick thru and thru and stickered it in 1" slats, it was from a living tree and was dry when cut. I made a counter top out of it after 3 mo. air dry, and it is fine 5 years later.

Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Ron Scott

~Ron

clww

Great story and nice mules, too ;)
Should be interesting to follow over time. Keep the pictures coming!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Brad_bb

That's a great song Jeff.  I had to repost that one on the TFG forums and forward it to my mom. 
Congrats on the twins!  It looks like a great project.  Anxious to see the progress.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

CX3

Well I finally got the crib done.  It was a long drawn out ordeal, im sure some of you can relate LOL.  It turned out really great, we are extremely proud of it.  There are a few minor flaws, I mean character additions, but we can look around them.  I hope my boys will be proud of it someday.  Thanks for keeping up with the post and for all the support and feedback.  Enjoy!

You Better Believe It!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

D Hagens

Nice crib :)
Can I order one and upgrade the kids with the optional college adjumacation :D :D

submarinesailor

Been there, done that.......But, my twins are 31 now.  Just wait until they get to their 2's.  Boy will you and your wife have your hands full.

Bruce

thecfarm

A very nice crib and fine looking boys too. What are the twins names? These are the first children for you and your wife?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

All 'round nice story. Crib turned out just fine by the looks of it. Like the mules to. ;D Those two little guys will keep you occupied for awhile. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Just Me

Very cool! Twins. Awesome! You are indeed blessed.

I built a crib/daybed for my grandaughter 4 years ago. Had an accident and cut off my index finger, half way into my middle finger and thumb. So the crib has some special meaning.  ;D

Ironically what startled me was a backup beeper on a steel truck making a delivery. Great safety feature! In a twist of fate I ended up doing a job for the CEO of the company, Alro Steel, for the last year and a half. The accident was in no way tied to how he found me. Funny how things work out some times.

Larry

dnalley

Congratulations on the twins and the crib, but just one more thing......those corner posts extending above the sides of the crib :o.  Crib safety standards have shown this to be very dangerous when a child gets old enough to start pulling up  on the sides of the cradle.  Just something to catch clothes on and then possible injury when they can't get loose.  And we all know small fry can do some amazing things, especially when were not looking.  It's not my intention to meddle or criticise, just something you might consider.  Google it...should be no higher than one-sixteenth inch, or really not at all.  Just trying to keep this a joyous occasion.  thanks, Dwight

Thank You Sponsors!