iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New stuff at Wood-Mizer - Fall 2010

Started by Bibbyman, October 10, 2010, 05:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Mary and I got wild and crazy Saturday and drove 6 hours east to Indy to attend the Wood-Mizer open house.  We wanted to see the new product showroom dedicated to Steve Clark.  

We could only spend a couple of hours there but it was worth the effort.  We got to see all kinds of new products and ask questions.  We were not disappointed.  In fact, some will no doubt think ill of me for saying this.  But even after 16 years of association with Wood-Mizer I'm still impressed with the company, people and products.

In this whatever you want to call it;  recession, depression, turndown in the economy or slow recovery,  Wood-Mizer continues to press forward introducing new products and trying to match the needs of an ever more cost concerned customer.

When early this spring Wood-Mizer introduced an LT28 package at a phenomenal price, I was blown away! Here was a mill that was equal to and in some ways better than the LT40 manual mill we bought in 94 and for less money!  About the only thing I can think of that's got better and prices lower are imported electronics.

Then they backed that up by just introducing the new LT35.  Again, a mill in many ways equal to an LT40 Standard Hydraulic at about 20% lower price.

But on the other end of the scale; they introduced the new WM3000 that replaced the LT300 industrial mill.  And a new, bigger WM3500!  Note the two chain turner, three roller toe boards and three back supports.  And a wider head to saw up to 40" dia logs!

Then there are a few other items that have been introduced.   A new trailer package for the LT15,  a plainer head system for the LT15 bed and a host of other resaws and attachments.

Then there is the new small log system and the big 4250 headrig.  I even spotted an edger I'd not see before – the EG300.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Larry

On the WM3600 how does the dust collection work?  I see a pipe that goes into a trough but I can't figure out how it works.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Larry on October 10, 2010, 06:51:47 PM
On the WM3600 how does the dust collection work?  I see a pipe that goes into a trough but I can't figure out how it works.

Gary Moore WM blades demoing the WM3500 sawing a very dry soft maple log.

In the center and left is the WM industrial small log system.  We didn't get there in time to see it run.  But logs (bolts) are gripped by a chain that pulls them between two vertical cutting heads.  On the other side are sorting decks.  Then the cant is run through a bank of resaws.
Sawing since '94

Brucer

In other words, the trough is a belt  :).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Bibbyman

Quote from: Brucer on October 10, 2010, 08:27:41 PM
In other words, the trough is a belt  :).

Yea.

Note too that the new WM3500 does not have the cable track like the LT300 and any of the WM mills with Command Control.
Sawing since '94

Piston

Does that trailer package for the LT15 come as a complete frame to go underneath the existing bed extensions?  Or is it just an axle and tongue that you put under the existing frame? 
It looks like the pic on the right is the trailer itself, with a whole new frame, and then you just plop the entire mill right on top of the trailer?  the one shown on the website right now is just the 'kit' for about $1,000.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Bibbyman

Quote from: Piston on October 11, 2010, 04:58:59 AM
Does that trailer package for the LT15 come as a complete frame to go underneath the existing bed extensions?  Or is it just an axle and tongue that you put under the existing frame? 
It looks like the pic on the right is the trailer itself, with a whole new frame, and then you just plop the entire mill right on top of the trailer?  the one shown on the website right now is just the 'kit' for about $1,000.

Sure looks to me like a complete frame with lights, outrigger stands and all.  Maybe I showed something I shouldn't have??
Sawing since '94

Piston

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

DR_Buck

I got to see the new shingle/lapsider & resaw combo that can be added onto a LT40 series mill down at the Richmond Logging Expo this past spring.  I think it is on my future "got to have" list.   Didn't get any pictures though.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Bibbyman

I keep checking the Wood-Mizer web site for the updates on the new products.  But so far....  ::)
Sawing since '94

DR_Buck

Here's the link to the unit I saw in Richmond.   I think this will be my next big investmentin milling equipment.  ;D

WoodMizer Resaw/Lapsider
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

MartyParsons

We have the LT35HD at the shop and the RS2 Resaw. What pictures do you want me to capture this weekend?
The LT35 does not have any drum switch for up down or power feed. It looks like a video game joy stick. I hope to get to saw with it tomorrow.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Piston

That would be great to get some more pics of the LT35 Marty.  Thanks for posting, you know us, the more pics you take of the mill the better. 
I'm really interested in how it works.

Bibbyman, I've also been checking quite a bit, eagerly awaiting the update with more info and pricing  8)
-Matt

Coon

I have been trying to make up my mind on which mill to purchase in the next short while but now with these new mills and options.............  I dunno.  I need to make up my mind ASAP and get things moving ahead but it just ain't no easy task.  :-\  I do like what I see with these new mill options and it would be interesting to know the prices to help with the decision. 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Piston

Coon I hear what your sayin'
I'm trying to make up my mind whether to stick with the little LT15 and spend some money on options for it or skip that step and go up to a bigger one.  I've always considered the LT40 to be out of my range and unneccesary for what I do but when I get some larger logs on there I can see the appeal of hydraulics.  This LT35 coming out has my name written all over it, I just keep trying to pretend it doesn't exist so I don't have to make the decision....but it just keeps becoming more and more real as a good option  :D
-Matt

weisyboy

i heard that woodmizer is bringing out a big mill with a 1500mm (5') cut.

bloke i know in western Australia is looking at buying one.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Bibbyman

Quote from: weisyboy on October 15, 2010, 06:54:27 AM
i heard that woodmizer is bringing out a big mill with a 1500mm (5') cut.

bloke i know in western Australia is looking at buying one.

This is the lagest WM I've seen or hear about.  

Here is a link to the AWMV web site for the 4250..  Click on the Specifcations tab.

http://www.awmv.com/awmv/Products/Saw_and_Carriage_System/4250_version1_overview.aspx

48" max log -7500 lbs...  That's a lot of log!

Sawing since '94

LOGDOG

Any pictures of the Planer head that goes on the LT15 chassis?

Bibbyman

Quote from: LOGDOG on October 15, 2010, 07:45:00 AM
Any pictures of the Planer heah that goes on the LT15 chassis?

They didn't have one in Indy when we were up there.  :-\
Sawing since '94

LOGDOG

Bummer. I've been waiting to see what they do with that. Last time I saw a video of it in the R&D stage they hadn't come up with a sawdust removal port on it. Did they comment on when they'll release it?

weisyboy

this was a horasontal bandsaw similar to a forester mill. sat ont the ground no trailer mounted.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Bibbyman

Sawing since '94

sdunston

Another great idea on the placement of the loading winch,WM is listening very close on the things we talking about on this fourm, hats off to them
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Kevin

That's a nice looking mill, good job on reworking that model.
Do they have an mechanical toeboard for it?

Thank You Sponsors!