iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Multi Queston ~ Chain Selection & Warranty Regristration for Efco 152 Chainsaw

Started by H60 Hawk Pilot, October 10, 2010, 03:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H60 Hawk Pilot

I bought a two chainsaw's (Efco 152 (Italian built) and Solo 681 (German built) on Friday. I bought them at a Freight Liquidator store & both saws were open box but brand new. I was able to Complete the Warranty Regristration with the USA based Solo distributor in Newport News, VA.

I have done several searches for the Efco (not Echo) chainsaw brand and nothing came up. I see that a lot of folks sell them - Northern, Amazon, and other's but No Warranty Location Listed on the net.

I'm asking if anyone own's one and has filled out a ~Warranty Reg. form or did the warranty form on the net ?

2nd Question

I bought the Efco saw with a 18" bar & chain combo; it's the anti kick back chain from Oregon.  I went to a 2nd store and bought a second chain and it's a H-72 Type from Oregon. I got it out of the package and found out it's anti kick back chain too.  I looked around on different web site's and never found a chain that did Not mention Anti Kick back on the chain description. The 2nd chain I bought  is: .325 Pitch, .050 Gauge and 72 links for 18 inch bar (H72). The other chain that was thrown in on the deal is the 95VP type and anti kick as well.

From what I read, a Full Chisel Tooth would be the --  20LPX-72 but the write up  still  say's anti kick back in the descripition.

My Question:

What is the Correct Chain No# _____________ to buy for the Efco 152 saw & the Real Deal Chain (No Anti Kick Junk) !   

Thanks'

Avery
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Rocky_J

I don't run Oregon chain and haven't in many years, but the Stihl chain number you would be looking for is 23RS-72. I think the new style is 23RSC-72 (C for Comfort, lower vibration). This is the full chisel .325 pitch, .050 gauge chain without the anti kickback bumpers.

If you work in dirtier conditions or want a chain that is not quite as aggressive but will hold an edge longer, then that would be 23RM-72. This has a more rounded cutter tooth instead of a sharp cornered chisel tooth. A much more forgiving style for dirty groundwork.

John Mc

Avery -

A lot of pro chains have some anti-kickback features (a slope on the front of the depth gauge, for example). These still cut rather well. Though there are many who will debate what style is best, I'm guessing most would not throw out a chain that had some of these features if it came with their saw.

The real chain you probably want to avoid is the safety chain that has the extra "bumper link" before each tooth. These are generally garbage.

Oregon 72 LPX

Oregon 72 LGX

Note the LPX chain has an extra ramped piece next to the depth gauge. This is an anti-kickback feature that does not have a significant adverse affect as compared to the LGX chain with the "plain" depth gauge. The LPX chain may not be as aggressive as the LGX, but both are still good cutting chains, IMO.

Here's the one you probably want to avoid:

Note the extra guard link in front of each depth gauge. It's considered a "consumer" chain for "occasional users". There may be some specialized applications where a pro might consider a design similar to this, but cutting performance generally suffers with a chain like this.

Hope this helps. (Note, I'm not saying any of these chains are the exact type you want to use on your 152, I just put up the pictures as an example of the styles.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

H60 Hawk Pilot

John Mc

You really made it simple for me (a picture is worth 1000 words) and I'm on track now.

I tried both of the saws (Solo 681 & Efco 152) today and was really pleased with the cutting performance of both the saws. I did not go past 3/4 throttle per break-in instructions. I was smilng with the 681 and it has some real power (based on only 3/4 power today). I did not bear into the wood to load it up at 3/4 power.  I know what they are after... in the break in period. Solo does not want to super heat the piston & cyl. and glaze the cyl. walls because the (super heated cyls.) rings do not have a chance to form a seat in the 1st (critial) few hours of saw operation. I'm a diesel engine builder and we have had this problem (glazed cyls.) in higher horse engines. Todays Diesel break-in around 1000 miles (proper ring seat) but use to take 5 to 7K mles to seat the rings to hold full power under a continuous load.

** I don't know how I got onto the diesel rings deal... must be old age and rambling on and/ or...  still droolling
from playing with the two saws today.  I don't have that much excitement in my life anymore ! !

I have been away from the wood business for thirty years + (playing U. S. Army & Diesel Bus.) and it's like learning all over again on some of this new stuff.

Thanks' Again,

Avery   

to tap in to
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Thank You Sponsors!