iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Emerald Ash Borer

Started by sharp-shod, October 07, 2010, 07:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharp-shod

Hey,

what have you guys out in the midwest seen as far as the destruction caused by the EAB ?  the DEC here in NY says that all species of ash are doomed. is it really that bad - no ash left alive at all ?

what measures were taken to try to fight the spread of the borer ?

thanks

Autocar

Doomed thats the best way to tell you about ash here in Ohio. It is all around me now its just a matter of time.
Bill

beenthere

Measures appear to be to shut (or try) the small barn door (limit firewood movement) after the horse ran out. But leave the big doors open (logs and pulp wood movement) for the horses to run out anytime.
Sorry to be so pessemistic, but the focus (IMO) has been to put on a show that "something" is being done. When in fact, what is done is only after the EAB has struck, admitting that it probably was there for 4-5 years before it was noticable in dead trees.  Put out a quarantine just for that county where dead trees were found with the EAB.
And no way will the Feds or local Gov'ts put the limits on the larger industry that has a stake in all this.
Just my opinion, and could be debated. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chevytaHOE5674

Trouble with quarantines is that even the best one that is followed 100% will only slow the spread. The little buggers can FLY...  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

ahlkey

The only thing that I heard was from the Minnesota Department of Agriculture.  The following is the information:   " MDA released the state's first release of stingless wasps as a biological control in an effort to slow the spread of emerald ash borer (EAB) in Minnesota. The release took place in the Upper Mississippi River Fish and Wildlife Area, in Houston County.  This biocontrol, is a pest control strategy that pairs an invasive pest species with natural enemies that restrict the pest population in its native range. MDA released two species of tiny, stingless wasps that had been approved for EAB biocontrol by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS). MDA and partners including APHIS, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, released the stingless wasps after extensive testing confirmed the wasps will not harm people, other animals or the environment.
The goal of the wasp release is to introduce a natural control that mitigates damage and moves with EAB as it spreads. The wasps may be used in other infested areas in the future".

It would be nice if this helped and of course did not result in something like the Asian Beetle problem. 

Okrafarmer

Yeah, no kidding. I used to be given little packets of stingless wasp eggs to throw around the farm for the little wasps to help control flies. So how do we know if it works? I never could see any decrease in the fly population. Could we try billions of ladybugs?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Ed

Total devastation, there will be none left. Accept reality.
This is nothing like Dutch Elm disease, we still have Elm, they grow and die, some small, some large.
EAB is totally different, its a more efficient killer, 100% effective, 100% destruction. The tree dies a slow death, starving for nutrients, it sprouts suckers from the trunk and the base, it tries to grow leaves so it can live, to no avail. The borrers will travel from the ground to the top, 100% disruption of the cambium layer, from the time the first larva hatches, the tree is doomed.

Ed

tjdub

Quote from: ahlkey on October 07, 2010, 10:18:56 PM
The only thing that I heard was from the Minnesota Department of Agriculture.  The following is the information:   " MDA released the state's first release of stingless wasps as a biological control in an effort to slow the spread of emerald ash borer (EAB) in Minnesota. The release took place in the Upper Mississippi River Fish and Wildlife Area, in Houston County.  This biocontrol, is a pest control strategy that pairs an invasive pest species with natural enemies that restrict the pest population in its native range. MDA released two species of tiny, stingless wasps that had been approved for EAB biocontrol by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS). MDA and partners including APHIS, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, released the stingless wasps after extensive testing confirmed the wasps will not harm people, other animals or the environment.
The goal of the wasp release is to introduce a natural control that mitigates damage and moves with EAB as it spreads. The wasps may be used in other infested areas in the future".

It would be nice if this helped and of course did not result in something like the Asian Beetle problem.  

The MN DNR has had some great success introducing species to counteract invasives.  They released two seperate insects to battle Purple Loosetrife with some very good success.  Hopefully this release isn't backed up by over-confidence.

I live very close to ground zero for this wasp release, so I'll let you know how it turns out just as soon asALL HAIL TO THE PARASITIC BRAIN WASPS!

RynSmith

tjdub

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 07, 2010, 10:29:48 PM
Yeah, no kidding. I used to be given little packets of stingless wasp eggs to throw around the farm for the little wasps to help control flies. So how do we know if it works? I never could see any decrease in the fly population. Could we try billions of ladybugs?

I think the reason they chose this spot for the release of the wasp is that EAB just entered the area this year.   They've been purple-trapping the heck of the area for years waiting for it to hop over the Mississippi from Wisconsin and just caught their first one this summer.  They will know if these wasps work by studying how quickly the Ash trees are killed here in the next few years.  Probably they  have a good baseline for measurement by studying the invasion in other areas.

JDeere

Hats off to MN DNR for being so pro-active. Sure hope it works.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

Okrafarmer

Quote from: JDeere on October 08, 2010, 07:22:44 PM
Hats off to MN DNR for being so pro-active. Sure hope it works.

And keep us posted. We don't have many ash right here but we cut one this spring. A nice big white ash, I think, though I don't know my individual species real well.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

barbender

I agree with beenthere, and I get alittle sick of all the regs that get dumped on the "little man" when these things happen. We can get large fines here in MN now for not having 100% of our bilge and livewell water drained out of our boats before leaving a lake access because of invasives. Well, why don't we make the big ships that bring the garbage here do the same thing? Why do we have to allow imports of nursery stock and other plants, where these diseases have came from? $$$ >:(
Too many irons in the fire

Okrafarmer

Quote from: barbender on October 09, 2010, 11:24:18 PM
I agree with beenthere, and I get alittle sick of all the regs that get dumped on the "little man" when these things happen. We can get large fines here in MN now for not having 100% of our bilge and livewell water drained out of our boats before leaving a lake access because of invasives. Well, why don't we make the big ships that bring the garbage here do the same thing? Why do we have to allow imports of nursery stock and other plants, where these diseases have came from? $$$ >:(

Yep X2

tjdub

Quote from: barbender on October 09, 2010, 11:24:18 PM

I agree, but the Minnesota Dept. of Agriculture will come and inspect your firewood for free and give you per-load permits to transport.   My dad runs a firewood business for retirement income and most of his sales are out of the county, so the firewood quarantine ban hit him hard.  I do have to give the state govt. some credit for trying to help the little guy, though.  On the other hand, they only give him the transport permits for bark-less firewood even though he doesn't even sell Ash, which seems pretty stupid considering that you can move Ash logs out of the county without any inspection (I think).

SwampDonkey

It's like I told them on the radio (via email) quarantine is just on paper. No one to enforce anything to do roadside checks. What I got for a response was a prepared written statement, not allowed to give an intelligent answer off the top of their heads. It was the same response to every question being fielded. My friend who works as an entomologist with Forestry Canada said that the Food Inspection Agency weren't a very effective bunch to deal with it. Besides that, it's almost impossible to control something that flies and top of that to respond after it's found. A day late and a dime short.

In my neck of the woods ash is everywhere in woodlots near the settlements. It's going to happen eventually.  :-\ Most hardwood pulp being moved here however is maple and birch. We do have Garant that takes tool handle logs. The rest of those tree tops would be firewood.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

It's probably "all firewood species" because both the public and someone not well trained to ID wood by bark and grain would miss a load of ash. Also, factor in a load of wood on the move and not just simply sitting on the side of the road to look at.

Our Marketing boards here have taken on duties that the Customs and Immigration guys would have no clue as to species or where it came from under "Load Slip" legislation. They don't have the training required nor the staff to go out to woodlots to do any ground work. To most of them "it's just a stick of wood".  ;)  My brother grew up on the farm here and he knows maple and birch, but throw a stick of ash, ironwood or elm in the wood pile and it's all "maple". ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

Glad we don't have to deal with it down here-- this is a very species-rich area, and it wouldn't surprise me if we have well over 100 species of native trees here, not to mention the exotics that people plant in their yards. I can identify a lot of them-- more all the time-- but there are always some that stump me.

John Mc

Is there a map that is kept updated for confirmed presence of EAB in the US and Canada? (and while we're at it, how about Asian Longhorned Beetle, Hemlock Woolly Adelgid, etc.) We don't have a big problem with any of them in Vermont yet, but it's only a matter of time. HWA has shown up in our southern counties.

I've heard EAB is just across the St Lawrence in Quebec.

As far as I know, no ALB yet, but it's only a matter of time -- It's been present for so long in Central Massachusetts (and for a number of years before anyone identified the threat), that I'm sure it's been transported up to here at some point. What else is someone in Worcester going to do with that dead maple in their back yard? Hey, I know! Let's bring it with us for firewood next time we go up to the camp/summer place in Vermont! (Not intending to dis Worcester. My mom grew up there. It's a great place, just has the dubious distinction of being the epicenter of the ALB infestation.)

Oops.. almost forgot: Beech bark disease, which is already here. (And Dutch Elm Disease and the Chestnut Blight, which have already run their course)

I shudder to think what we'll have left when they all finally get here in force. What is going to happen to our struggling Forest products industry? Vermont Maple syrup? Leef-peeper tourism industry (believe it or not, a major factor in Vermont's economy).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SwampDonkey

Hemlock Woolly Adelgid won't be up here in NB, too cold. Asian spruce Longhorn is in NS, but not in NB yet. There is a very narrow land bridge across the Tantramar Marsh from NS into NB. So far so good. No softwood flow between provinces, which is on a completely volunteer basis, "self imposed" by big industry. Nothing holding back a woodlot owner, only conscience.

Jamie_C

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 10, 2010, 09:51:11 AM
Hemlock Woolly Adelgid won't be up here in NB, too cold. Asian spruce Longhorn is in NS, but not in NB yet. There is a very narrow land bridge across the Tantramar Marsh from NS into NB. So far so good. No softwood flow between provinces, which is on a completely volunteer basis, "self imposed" by big industry. Nothing holding back a woodlot owner, only conscience.

Swamp ... Bowater here in NS is buying logs from southern NB, NewPage is buying studs and pulp from NB and the way JDI has gone here in NS i imagine they will soon be trucking wood in from NB as well. Not much wood heading from NS to NB though that i am aware of so that should help keep you guys safe for the time being but i am quite sure you guys will see it there before too much longer.

The quarantine area here was a joke ...

SwampDonkey

Just as my buddy said about the quarantine for ash borer, no one keeping fire at the house.  ::) I did read that they had spot inspections in camp grounds in Ontario, something like 340 spot inspections I think and a handful of non compliance. That volume is small potatoes compared to the firewood business overall.

There are other life priorities and trees take a back seat I'm afraid.

Okrafarmer

I'm wondering, if a decrease in the availability of ash will increase the demand for hickory and other strong hardwoods for tool handles, ball bats, etc.

Warren

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 10, 2010, 05:27:21 AM
It's like I told them on the radio (via email) quarantine is just on paper. No one to enforce anything to do roadside checks.

Swamp,   I attended an EAB meeting in August.  Posted by a combination of USDA Aphis, KY Div Forestry, UK Ag Extension group.  Regarding the lack of enforcement, the USDA rep (I think) had a picture of a pickup truck with visible Ohio state licences plates, loaded across the bed with fire wood, right off of I-75 in Lexington, kY in a gas station.  He claimed that even with clear picture, with visible license plate #, he could not find anyone interested to pursue the guy for violating the EAB firewood ban...

If the USDA can not get someone to enforce the ban... why bother ?

Quote from: John Mc on October 10, 2010, 08:00:26 AM
Is there a map that is kept updated for confirmed presence of EAB in the US and Canada?

John,    At the EAB meeting above, the APHIS rep showed a map that tracked the progression of observed EAB from Michigan down into Kentucky.   According to that map, the progression seems to follow interstates, especially popular camp grounds, state parks, etc.  I think they had a small numebr to hand out.   I didn't bother taking one since my county is already under quarantine...

-w-
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Okrafarmer

Also: ash is not very common in our area though we do have a little. Does anybody know the extent of this firewood ban-- what states-- what areas-- what exactly does the firewood ban prohibit? You can't haul ANY firewood, even if it is not ash? And how far?

tjdub

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 10, 2010, 11:23:56 PM
Also: ash is not very common in our area though we do have a little. Does anybody know the extent of this firewood ban-- what states-- what areas-- what exactly does the firewood ban prohibit? You can't haul ANY firewood, even if it is not ash? And how far?

I can only speak for Minnesota, but here, it is a ban on transporting ANY type of firewood over county lines (unless you have a permit).  The ban is imposed on a county-by-county basis when EAB has been confirmed in a neighboring county.  If they tried to be more specific it wouldn't be reasonable to expect police to be able to enforce it.  I'm not sure what the fine is, but with profit margins in the firewood business what they are, it's not worth risking a fine at any price.

My fear is that even once the EAB spreads well past the area, the bans won't get lifted.  I know some communities around here put ordinance bans on Elm firewood way back when Dutch Elm was going through, and those bans are still on the books. 

SwampDonkey

The Canadian Prairies has elm wood transport restrictions to. Some towns it matters because they manage the disease. Here in NB there is no such restriction, people don't use it for firewood, or very rare unless it's their yard tree that died or something. No one wants to bust their guts trying to split the stuff usually. :D

Warren

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 10, 2010, 11:23:56 PM
In KY, the original ban was no firewood across county lines, "firewood" = anything less than 8 ft length.  As of August 2010, the ban was no firewood moved outside of the quarantine area, "firewood" = anything less than 4 ft length.  Still no firewood across state lines.
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Okrafarmer

So they relaxed it in KY? I'm interested because my parents live there now and I'd like to know so I can tell my dad not to do something that would get him in trouble.

Warren

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 11, 2010, 10:51:00 PM
So they relaxed it in KY? I'm interested because my parents live there now and I'd like to know so I can tell my dad not to do something that would get him in trouble.

Yeah, they relaxed a bit.  Allowing movement WITHIN the quarantine area makes sense.   It was also a break for me, since all of my regular firewood customers, who do not live in my home county, are still in the quarantine area (NORTH of me where the critter passed thru to get to MY county...)

Key piece of information is that it is the BUYER's responsibility to be aware of where they can and can not haul firewood.  The seller is not responsible if the buyer violates the quarantine / ban.  ie: If a buyer purchases firewood within the quarantine area, and transports it outside the quarantine area, the sawmill operator / firewood producer can not be held accountable...

Here is the current KY Div of Forestry EAB website:

http://pest.ca.uky.edu/EXT/EAB/welcome.html

-w-

northwoods1

Quote from: beenthere on October 07, 2010, 08:33:06 PM
Measures appear to be to shut (or try) the small barn door (limit firewood movement) after the horse ran out. But leave the big doors open (logs and pulp wood movement) for the horses to run out anytime.
Sorry to be so pessemistic, but the focus (IMO) has been to put on a show that "something" is being done. When in fact, what is done is only after the EAB has struck, admitting that it probably was there for 4-5 years before it was noticable in dead trees.  Put out a quarantine just for that county where dead trees were found with the EAB.
And no way will the Feds or local Gov'ts put the limits on the larger industry that has a stake in all this.
Just my opinion, and could be debated. :)

Well yes that doesn't seem fair now does it? OK, fairness aside it still seems to me that limiting some people from moving wood is better than leaving every body do whatever they want, doesn't it? And what would happen if you were to limit the loggers and sawmillers & people in the wood products industry from moving it? That doesn't seem possible or at least to be a very sound idea at all. I think it might help actually from having folks in general move it for firewood at least in urban areas because it isn't necessary really there are other species available for firewood in most places and it might slow the spread. But I know that if its coming this way I want to be prepared to cut/saw some ash as there are quite large quanitities of it spread out over most of the northern part of the state here. I remember when the elm died boy was there a lot of good firewood available in those years, and the morel picking got to be great. Ash is one of the best firewoods too I think.

Coon

Swamp as far as it goes with the Dutch Elm Disease control on the prairies here I have yet to see anyone even remotely care about the restrictions.  Many of the towns here in Saskatchewan have hundreds if not thousands of elm trees that line the streets and were planted many many moons ago.  There are also a great number of old homestead sites that have elm trees present.  Just yesterday I saw a pickup pulling a pickup box trailer and they were loaded to the hilts with elm firewood.  Where were they going and where did they come from? Who knows.   I do know that if I was to cut a few elms down here in town not one person would even care or say anything about it. 

This situation brings me to also tell you how pathetic this area of the province is in regards to any trees of any species.  I on a regular basis see so much good wood go to the dump because the people just don't want any of it.  Several times I have stopped to talk to land owners removing trees and have offered to do all of the tree cutting and clean up the mess just for the wood itself.  I get answers of anything from a simple NO to Why would you want any of this junk? when in all reality it would make for some beautiful firewood if not sawlogs.  Farmers are clearing off any of the bushland they have just to try get a few more acres.  More time than not the land they are clearing won't produce any decent famable land anyhow and is why the oldtimers never cleared it in the first place.  There is absolutely no respect for the land around here IMHO even when there are proven facts how we can benefit from the trees.

Sorry for the ranting....

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

John Mc

Quote from: Coon on October 12, 2010, 12:07:01 PM
Just yesterday I saw a pickup pulling a pickup box trailer and they were loaded to the hilts with elm firewood.

If that was American Elm, I wouldn't want to be the one splitting it. By hand is a real pain. Even with a hydraulic splitter it's no fun.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

estiers

Quarantine regs are a funny thing (speaking as one of those people who enforced these specific rules for a couple of years).  When they are in place, affecting people negatively, then they are burdensome and over the top.  However, if they were not in place, many would be asking why the local / state / federal government is not doing anything to stop the thing.  Can't win for trying, I guess.

As for regulating logs / lumber - they are also regualted.  Mills and other processing plants within the quarantined area and on the outside of the quarantined area should be placed under compliance and follow specific procedures to minimize the risk of spread of the insect.  I cannot speak to if all locations are under compliance, but I suspect that because it is difficult to up and move a processing plant, that the regulators have been there and if they are processing ash, they are in compliance.  You happen to hear more about firewood, because anyone can sell firewood - all they need is a downed tree in their yard.  Firewood is the culprit of most of the "outlier" populations you see on the map, so the majority of outreach goes to the squeaky wheel, I suppose.

For EAB: You can visit www.emeraldashborer.info for the most recent map of quarantine boundaries and positive finds.
For ALB: You can visit www.beetlebusters.info for the most recent map of quarantine boundaries and positive finds.

Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

John Mc

Thanks for those links. Just what I was looking for.

chevytaHOE5674

As a sawmill in an area with EAB quarantines we have to have a compliance agreement with the department of Ag for the ash that we are to process. They have to come in and inspect where the ash was bought from, how is it being processed, where is the residue going, where are the boards going, can't be any bark on lumber or ties, yada yada. What it means for us is that we refuse to buy ash because it is too much of a headache.

Okrafarmer

Makes me glad I live outside the zone. I think I'm going to see if I can retrieve the 18" ash we dropped early this summer, and see if it's any good for processing.

SwampDonkey

Bugs have probably found a good home by now in the sapwood. Typically we get oval buprestid holes and ambrosia.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 13, 2010, 03:34:38 AM
Bugs have probably found a good home by now in the sapwood. Typically we get oval buprestid holes and ambrosia.

You're probably right. I'll still have to have a look.

Clark

Quote from: Ed on October 07, 2010, 11:36:19 PMTotal devastation, there will be none left. Accept reality.
This is nothing like Dutch Elm disease, we still have Elm, they grow and die, some small, some large.
EAB is totally different, its a more efficient killer, 100% effective, 100% destruction. The tree dies a slow death, starving for nutrients, it sprouts suckers from the trunk and the base, it tries to grow leaves so it can live, to no avail. The borrers will travel from the ground to the top, 100% disruption of the cambium layer, from the time the first larva hatches, the tree is doomed.

Ed

From what I've read there will not be total devastation.  Those areas in Michigan where it hit first apparently have scattered ash that the EAB didn't hit.  If I recall correctly, this was in a town where most every ash was dead except several scattered individual trees.  They aren't sure exactly why this is the case.  Random chance doesn't fully explain it because an urban area would have a near 100% inoculation of EAB once they got a foothold. 

The other ash trees that will survive are the small ones.  I'm not sure how small a tree EAB will attack but I'm guessing those under 1" dbh will be fine.  In this part of the country there are acres and acres of forestland with ash blanketing the understory.  It won't be pretty when it comes but I have no doubt that ash will continue to live for at least one more generation.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Okrafarmer

I suspect you're right, Clark. But I'm not a forester and I don't play one on TV either.

Thank You Sponsors!