iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Howe

Started by Bridgewright, October 07, 2010, 04:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bridgewright

Hey -

Some of you know me from the TFG board, where I've been posting for a little better than ten years.

I recently registered here at the FF, because I thought it might be a good place to search for a portable bandmill sawyer a few hours from home, to play into our current preservation project. I posted about that quest here - https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,46227.0.html

Thought some of you timber afflicted might have interest in our out of the ordinary project...

This bridge was lost to arson in '04, we swang it off the abutments then, and it has been sitting nearby waiting on funding. This has now been realized, dismantling is nearly complete, New framing to mate to the Rods and Cast Angle Blocks (One casting in need of repair)-(graduated rods, the largest being 3 1/2" with 6" nuts) will soon begin.

Some of the small scantling Counter Bracing and other detailing was lost to the fire. We recently surveyed The Moose Brook's sister bridge, also a Howe (though of shorter span) built just up the line by the same RR the same year. It is the last of its kind (RR Boxed Pony Howe) in existence ~ Short sldeshow here -   (link removed by admin)

Howe's are not particularly fun (challenging wise) from a timber framers / bridgewrights perspective, but the timing is good (economy wise) and bridge work is good work.

How does the insert image function work here ? Something's not working for me.

-- Will

Tom

Bridgewright,
Your thread will be an interesting one and well appreciated as well.  To insure that photos used in posts remain with the forum for the life of the forum, it is a requirement that they be stored in your gallery on the Forestry Forum.  Instructions can be found in the topic "Behind the Forum".  The pictures must be optimized to Forum requirements of size and density.  Some folks have a little trouble getting started, but most find it not difficult at all.  Along with the written instructions, most of the members will offer help, if asked.

We don't allow linking to off-site storage sites because of the threat to Security. :)

Jim_Rogers

Welcome to the forum Will.....

If you need help posting pictures just let me know... and I'll post them for you....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Bridgewright

Hey Jim - Thanks for the offer ! But I'll work my way through it.

Tom - Sorry about that. I will read the primer. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
I did upload an image to a gallery here, but it was not automatically attaching to the thread, and I knew I was going wrong somehow

Was it that the link was to P-bucket? (an off site storage site) or all links to photos. Since I was not attempting to embed I thought the link was kosher.

More info on both the Moose Brook and its sister bridge here - http://twitter.com/Bridgewright

Jeff

You upload the photo to your gallery, then you use the url for your photo and put it in your post just like if you were tying to inset a picture from an offsite gallery somewhere.

We don't allow links to any offsite photos in order to maintain the integrity of our photos for years to come.

This is the photo you uploaded. Good job on that. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!