iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

my mcculloch chainsaw has bulged...

Started by motif, October 06, 2010, 04:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motif

after just few weeks of bucking plastic part where these 2 bolts are holding bar cracked and bulged. (at the 1 bolt only)
Still sits solid but not sure for how long. I'm disappointed with this chainsaw durability. Is it possible
it happened because I tightened them too much? or maybe when my chain got hot few times (with visible smoke) plastic got melted and bulged?  Anyway looks like I have killed my first chainsaw  :(  :-[

ladylake

Don't be running a chain that is dull enough to smoke or even close, that's hard on everything. Keep the chain out of the dirt, they will stay sharp quite a while. If your cutting dirty wood cut so the chain enters in clean wood if possible. The new Mac chainsaws are not built good, just a waste of money.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Cut4fun

I have seen several plastic cased saws that the bolts are pulling through due to owners over tightening the bar nuts.

ladylake

Any well made saw would have metal inserts for the bars studs, that would be one thing I'd look for when buying a new saw, if just screwed into plastic leave it stay where it is.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

motif

Quote from: ladylake on October 06, 2010, 07:12:46 AM
Any well made saw would have metal inserts for the bars studs, that would be one thing I'd look for when buying a new saw, if just screwed into plastic leave it stay where it is.   Steve

right, I'll be wiser next time. I guess I'll buy all metal case chainsaw.

Anyway it was cheap enough to learn few things about chainsaws on.

John Mc

SO are you in the market for a new one now, or is this one still usable?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

motif

Quote from: John Mc on October 06, 2010, 09:46:08 AM
SO are you in the market for a new one now, or is this one still usable?

it looks usable, I mean the bars studs are not moving yet. I'll see during my next cutting in a day or two
although it could be dangerous if one stud breaks completely during cut I guess.
I was thinking also about filing a complaint in the shop where I bought it.

Rocky_J

You bought a cheap piece of junk and then ran it dull, abusing it to the point of smoke coming off the chain several times. If you complain to the dealer he will have every right to laugh you out of his shop.

beenthere

motif
I think we could see this coming, from the very beginning.

Use it as a good experience, costly as it is.

And ... there will be more along the way. Trust me.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

motif,

While you might have not bought a saw with the longevity to do the work you expect of it,  I disagree with Rocky_J that you bought a piece of junk.  That opinion is a rather harsh assessment when I know that homeowner saws have done a yoeman's job for many in the past.  You just have to match your effort to the tool.

Using the nuts on the side of the saw to be the only things that hold the bar is asking too much of it.  Those bolts are studs and are only inserts in the side of a saw that is made from soft metal.  If you tighten them enough, you could actually pull the bolts (studs) out of the side of the motor. 

The chain tightener(adjuster) is actually the "bolt" that supports the bar from moving and creating a loose-chain problem.  While the two nuts on the side of the saw must be tight, they don't have to be tightened like a bolt holding the tracks on a bulldozer.

You might think that you are dealing with a tough piece of equipment, but, like band saw mill operators, you must learn finesse'.  It's the balance of power to effort, the sharpness, the alignment, the acknowledgment of the "clean zone" that allows your equipment to do its work properly.  Even bulldozer operators learn that their machine will do more work and last longer if they use a light touch.

Rocky_J

Tom,
If you disagree that the cheap McCulloch saw he bought is junk, then exactly how bad does a saw have to be in order for you to consider it junk? Perhaps your threshold is so low that there is no saw on the market you would consider junk? I cannot readily think of another saw lower on the scale of quality or durability available for sale in this country.

Some people think I'm harsh, others think I'm just brutally honest. I don't try to coddle people's feelings if they have bought a piece of junk and then ask me what I think of their saw. Should I lie and tell them it's a great saw? I think that is more of a disservice than falsely leading them to believe they have a finely crafted piece of machinery instead of a piece of junk.

Jeff

Rocky, would you expect the host to hand out Stetsons as party hats at a new years eve party?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Cut4fun

Quote from: ladylake on October 06, 2010, 07:12:46 AM
Any well made saw would have metal inserts for the bars studs, that would be one thing I'd look for when buying a new saw, if just screwed into plastic leave it stay where it is.   Steve

You might want to rephrase that  :D. ??? the 33cc green $99 poulans have metal inserts. The  :-X :-X still pull them through.

JohnG28

One other thought that may have happened is that you may not have loosened the chain tensioner before putting your saw back together.  If this was the case the tensioner would hit the solid part of the bar instead of the hole it should go into.  Then when you tightened the bar nuts back down it pushed the tensioner screw out through the plastic.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Tom

Rocky,
You are more than welcome to state your opinion, but you are doing a disservice when you don't specifically state it as your opinion.

Neither you nor I can claim to be right.  It's only our opinion of what we see.  There is a fine line, sometimes, in offering an opinion and being accusatory.  It is generally best to lean toward the first.

That is my opinion.

Cut4fun

Looks like a little 38cc poulan that cost about $129-$149 new. Should do what any homeowner has to do for yard clean up and limbing.  I wouldnt give it firewood detail.  

http://www.all4gardening.co.uk/product/McCulloch-Mac-738-Petrol-Chainsaw/08f0d6cf-efd9-478a-ad91-77455ed70edc.aspx

says 1 year warranty.

Rocky_J

So now I need to put a disclaimer in my signature line to remind everybody who might not be quick enough to know otherwise that my words are my opinion? Just how far do I have to bend over to satisfy everybody else's fragile little egos?  :-\

beenthere

Rocky
I appreciate your expert opinions, and look forward to them.

But when you use "junk", it doesn't ring of being an "expert opinion" any more.

IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I agree with Beenthere, but I will add in response to your last post:

Quote from: Rocky_J on October 06, 2010, 03:32:57 PM
Just how far do I have to bend over to satisfy everybody else's fragile little egos?  :-\

You don't. We all came to the realization that you have little to no social skills a long time ago, but because most of us do have some, we try and adjust how we respond in regards to your remarks in hopes that some will rub off and create a more lovable Rocky. If not lovable, at least tolerable.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

motif

Quote from: Rocky_J on October 06, 2010, 10:52:51 AM
You bought a cheap piece of junk and then ran it dull, abusing it to the point of smoke coming off the chain several times. If you complain to the dealer he will have every right to laugh you out of his shop.

well, for me a tool for 150$ should not be a complete junk, for 50$ maybe yes.
And I don't think so I did abuse it so hard unless you tell me chainsaw are just delicate toys.
I have long experience with electric tools like drills etc which I really abused and never burnt them, especially after just 4 weeks of sporadic usage. So Made in USA doesn't mean much these days? or there is no such thing anymore since all come from China...

Cut4fun

Quote from: motif on October 06, 2010, 04:39:04 PM
So Made in USA doesn't mean much these days? or there is no such thing anymore since all come from China...

No way in H LL that saw is USA made. China or Mexico at best. Maybe Taiwan and NO your NOT going to get a quality TOOL like a chainsaw for $150!

beenthere

Quote from: motif on October 06, 2010, 04:39:04 PM
well, for me a tool for 150$ should not be a complete junk, for 50$ maybe yes.
And I don't think so I did abuse it so hard unless you tell me chainsaw are just delicate toys.
I have long experience with electric tools like drills etc which I really abused and never burnt them, especially after just 4 weeks of sporadic usage. So Made in USA doesn't mean much these days? or there is no such thing anymore since all come from China...

motif
A chainsaw is/could be considered a delicate tool. At least mine I treat like it is delicate, and like an older fellow logger friend once told me..."my chainsaw is like my gold pocket watch". And mine is a $600 saw.

Your posts are very frustrating to analyze as to where we can help you (and they establish very emphatically that you do need help) and when we just need to leave you alone and let you stumble on.
Several here have tried to help. I am sure many have not tried because we don't understand what will help and what will hinder (or add to your confusion).

Some of your posts seem to just be idle questions like the "why?" post. They foster the question of "How old are you?".  No one here means to be rude to you, and in some way would like to get you more knowledgable with your desire to do some tree/log cutting for whatever your goals may be at present.

The FF way is to help. Not intended to put you down.
south central Wisconsin

Brian_Rhoad

I know Echo had problems about 15 years ago with the studs pulling out of the case on the 6700 saws. those saws were over $700 at the time.

ladylake

I've been running a Echo CS6700 for 10 years now , so far I've broken 1 AV mount. I can't imagine pulling a bar stud out of that series of saws but some people can break anything. The bar stud go in through the oil tank which is metal, they are a press fit with square heads on the back that fit into a a recess in the tank that keeps them from turning. I've heard  a lot of people have problems with pulling the stud out on the Stihl o29  MS290 series of saws where the stud screws into plastic.  Stihl even makes a oversized stud just for that.  Steve

motif

Quote from: ladylake on October 07, 2010, 06:06:44 AM
I've been running a Echo CS6700 for 10 years now , so far I've broken 1 AV mount. I can't imagine pulling a bar stud out of that series of saws but some people can break anything.

this is not a matter of some people but recently we noticed increased wave of junk goods on the market.
That goes the same with tools, cars and other items. Even respectable firms like Toyota started to lower theirs standards. I certainly didn't tight strong enough those studs to break well made chainsaw.
BTW it is still cutting good as I tried today, just I'm afraid some day that bolt come off completely so I went to the shop
and they took it for a repair under warranty. If it cannot be repaired I'll get exchange. We'll see.

Skiddah

Motif,
I'm glad to hear that the shop is going to go good on their warranty for you.  Hopefully the outcome is what you expected.
You're right about a wave of junk goods entering the market, it's been happening for years.  Reputable brands such as John Deere, Husqvarna, etc. are releasing verisons of models for sale at big box stores that don't hold up as well as their other products.  They sometimes even make adjustments to the model number.  Model 1234 becomes the Model 1234X cheaper version.  The reason is all about keeping the lower prices and driving up their market share through sales.  It's simple economics. 
I hear what you're saying about expecting a $150 tool to hold up well, but I hate to tell you that's not going to happen with chainsaws.  It's the old saying Good _________ ain't cheap, and cheap _________ ain't good.  Fill in the blank with whatever you want, in this case a chainsaw.  There's a reason why professional loggers such as myself and others, go and spend upwards of $700 to $1000+, we want it to hold up and last.  My saying is, "If it can't take it, I don't want it."  A $150 dollar chainsaw, ignoring the lack of demanded performance, wouldn't even last me a week.  It's just not built to hold up at those prices.  A $150 chainsaw's expected owner is one who if they used it twice in a year, that would be a lot.  That's just what it's designed for in my opinion.  So that's why I've gone out and invested a small fortune in my saws.  With regular mainatainence they can take it.  In fact, if I were to take a trip to the saw shop and buy chains, files, oils, etc. and only spend $150, I'd consider that getting off light.  It's just the nature of the logging business.
I realize that you're not a professional logger, and that's okay.  Chainsaws can be valuable for anyone.  As you widen your experience with chainsaws and read the posts on this website, you'll begin to see the importance of proper care of your machine.  Learn to file your saw quickly and effectively and you'll really enhance your cutting ability.  Always use the correct mixing oils, bar and chain oil, and keep your air filter clean.  Make sure the tension on your chain is where it needs to be.  This is what professional chainsaw users do day in and day out.  Lastly, if you don't know about something, ask.  You've done the right thing posting in a forum like this one and got a lot of good information.  Your local saw shop can help you out as well, and if you can find a mentor for cutting wood, USE THEM!  Good luck with your saw.

Thank You Sponsors!