iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Barn relocation project finished.

Started by Rooster, October 06, 2010, 12:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster

This is the barn we relocated and re-raised this past May.  It was originally built in 1897 as a 34ft x 50ft timber-frame dairy barn.  It is now a multi-purpose "outbuilding" on a small horse farm in south central Wisconsin.  I want to give credit to C&D Builders for working with me on re-raising the frame, and for all the work involved with finishing the structure.  Attaboy Guys!

And now for the pics!!!

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Rooster

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Rooster

Mike Rowe

Rooster

Rooster

Mike Rowe

Rooster

Rooster

Mike Rowe

Rooster

Rooster

Mike Rowe

Rooster

Piston

Rooster,
Thanks for posting these pics.  It makes me look at old barns in a "what's the potential" kind of way rather than "wow that barn is ready to fall down" kind of way. 
It looks great!   8)  and thanks for preserving some more of our 'barn' history 8)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Jim_Rogers

Great job, and thanks for post the pictures.

These types of shots are what we see at the "slide show" at a conference......
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

witterbound

Bill Gaiche

Really good photos. Very nice project with great results. You have to be proud of what you have done, bg

Qweaver

So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

CX3

John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Rooster

Thanks everyone!  It looks even better on the inside.

I posted a bunch of pics in my album...under Projects.

I don't have it organized yet, so you will have to muddle through.

And I also want to remind everyone that the barn was roofed, Sip'd and sided buy C&D Builders, but I tf'd the front entryway.

Thanks again,

Rooster
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Brad_bb

I don't remember that siding or the entryway there when I was there.  It does look very nice on the inside.  They reused cypress that was part of an old grainery I believe and native cherry, right? for some of the interior walls etc.  Very nice looking styff.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

jim king

Kind of makes This Old House look like a biginner.  I would assume it cost a lot more than building from new.

Beautiful work.

Rooster

JK,

I would somewhat agree with you, that the project does have the outward appearance of an "over-the-top" episode of This Old House.  I enjoyed that show for the contractors...not so much the production/ project selection.  I think that they went to extremes on some of those projects for the "shock value"...sort of not much "reality" in a reality show.

This barn has been a dream of the customer (Mr. and Mrs.) for over thirty years.  They were smart about it and did their homework.  They were also frugal by doing all the painting and staining themselves, bought the flooring from Lumber Liquidators as a conciderable savings, used hardwood cut from their woods for the interior wall covering, did all the landscaping themselves, and generaled the project with help from myself and C&D Builders.

And so the question of cost comparison between relocation of an existing frame and building one new was raised.  I have seen similar frames already dismantled, id'd, and stored, ready to be shipped and re-raised between $18,000-$25,000.  I am not sure if you could frame one new for the same money.  And on top of that, it is already 113 years old with nicely aged timbers.  That is the look they were going for, so an existing barn frame made the most sense.

Thanks for the question, JK. ;)

So maybe others could share their take on the old vs. new debate.  Can someone build a 34ft x 50ft x 18ft eave, four bay barn, three levels of girts, with a purlin system and common rafters for $18,000 or less?  How about built out of reclaimed barn beams...that all match?

I think it would be a challenge....what say you all?

Rooster
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Piston

Rooster,
I say that even if you could build one for that price or cheaper, one thing you can't build is the 113 year old character of that barn. 
As far as I'm concerned, a barn like that is priceless... 8)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Ron Scott

~Ron

Rooster

Just want to show everyone the finished product.

Mike Rowe

Rooster

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

Rooster
Very nice work. Looks absolutely great.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

~Ron

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Woodchuck53

That was a lot of grunt work but the result sure was worth it. You saved an old barn and gave it another purpose. Thanks for sharing.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Rooster

Thanks Guys!!!

I'll be sure to pass along your comments to the property owners and all those involved with the project.

Rooster
Mike Rowe

Rooster

giant splinter

Rooster
Great photos and very beautiful work, You have given this barn a new life.
roll with it

Thank You Sponsors!