iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Have you seen the new control module on the WM LT70?

Started by LOGDOG, October 05, 2010, 09:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LOGDOG

I just got the October issue of TMS Machinery Sales and on the cover is the WM LT70 with it's new control module complete with joystick controls. Awesome! Have you guys seen it yet? I looked on Woodmizer's site but couldn't find a picture of it.

Bibbyman

JB told us a little about it while we were at the Farmfest in Springfield last weekend.  But I thought he said it had one com cable connecting the control panel to the mill.

I just got our TMS Sales and seen what you saw.  I don't see a cable?  How could they have a cable and not have a cable track?

If I were 10 years younger! 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Larry

This clean and efficient system eliminates the cable track and offers proportional controls for the up/down and forward/reverse functions.

From an ad in Sawmill & Woodlot.

Not for sure what all that means but it sounds impressive. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

pineywoods

Wireless maybe? would be cheaper than all those cables and cable tracks. My ole LT40 has a home made wireless remote setup something like that. I used push buttons instead of joy sticks, just a personal preference.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

LOGDOG

I wish there was a way to post a picture of it here. I wonder if Sparks could hook us up? He'd probably have the answer to the cable question too. I can just see you Bibby in the lazy boy recliner at the head of the mill joysticks in hand, big smile on your face.  ;D

Warren

Saw the picture.  Thought that came to mind was "Could it be adapted to an operator chair type set up like the LT 300 ?"   The picture looks fine for a stand up operator.  But seems like it would not be too difficult to set it up like the LT 300 "driver seat".   I think maybe Baker has a similar set up on one of their high end mills.

Then Bibby would not have to "engineer it"....

:D
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

LOGDOG

Yep Warren I had similar thoughts. Actually I had the thought that if a guy was on the tall side his wrists may get fatigued from having them somewhat kinked to hold the controls. You know what would be great is a seat like they have on the bow of a bass boat. More of a cushion on a air pressured cylinder that moves up and down with a lever. That way you could roll on and roll off of it with ease. They could extend one of the base support towards the operator's position and have that seat plug into it. Wouldn't take much. That would get the operators forearms pointed more straight at the controls and let their wrists stay straight. I'm seeing heated cab in the North, maybe air conditioned in the South .... ;D

Bibbyman

Sawing since '94

paul case

now i got that picture stuck in my mind. i hope i dont have bad dreams because of it.pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

MMmmm, maybe that color won't show sawdust too badly.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sparks

The cable runs in a push/pull track inside the main frame.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

LOGDOG

Bibbyman

Just for you LOGDOG....

Mary and I have been there and seen that...  We got a wild hair and drove up to Indy to their open house.

The new 2011 LT70 Remote with Distributed Control System.. Control cable comes out of the back of the control box - as seen on the floor.

It plugs into the hydraulic box on the LT70...

It comes out of the rail side of the HD box and into the rail.  Yellow cable.

The yellow cable comes out the butt end of the rail..

The yellow cable runs under the tube to the saw head.

Here is a shot of the front panel. The display changes somewhat when in different modes.

Here's Mary figuring it all out.  I lost intrest when I fould out I couldn't get Gene Autry movies on it.  :D

Sawing since '94

Coon

By the looks of Mary, I think you are gonna be on the hook for an expensive mill in the near future Bibby.... gotta keep her happy you know.   :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Bibbyman

She was impressed.  I was impressed.  I think she liked the idea that the command center could be moved anywhere within the reach of the cable.  In fact, there was some setting that allowed you to orient the "left/right", "forward/reverse", "in/out" directions depending on the end of the mill you set the control.

Here is a closer look at the display screen.  The info on the top row looks to be the rate that the lube is being applied to the blade.  Next, if the laser sight is on or off.  Then if the debarker is on or off.  Then it tells the temperature!  I assume it's the ambient temperature.  The next row is monitoring the engine vital stuff.

The big numbers is the middle is the distance from the bed.  The box of numbers in the lower right is the drops to bed – in this case 1-1/4" all the way.

The joystick controls are proportional in at least some of the functions. That is, if you push the lever a little, that function works slow.  The further you push the lever, the faster the function goes. Mary said when you're moving the head forward – as in when you're sawing – you control the head speed by how far you push the joystick.  There is the familiar speed knob and it still works but it looks like it just sets the top speed the head will go.

Maybe they'll send one out for me to field test?  I don't think so.  They said they've had a customer do over 1,000 hours of sawing on the new command center so I figure they're ready to go with it.
Sawing since '94

LOGDOG

Wow! That's awesome Bibby. Thanks for the pictorial. I see the height on the pedestal is adjustable as well. That addresses the possible wrist fatigue for a tall sawyer. That WoodMizer ...they think of everything! ;D

Bandmill Bandit

Hi every body
Been a while since i did a post but i showed this thread to my son. He is a computer systems/ robotics engineer and I raised em and he is mostly german with a bit of ukranianian tossed in from his moms side for good measure. He looked through the thread and had a good chuckle. He went in shop and grabed my 7 Chanel RC radio and told me that with that radio and  3k to 5K, some blue tooth gear, a few cameras he could probably set it up so i could saw from my lazy boy in our theatre in my pajamas watching the mill on a 10 foot screen in HD.

He was being a bit facisious cause of bibby's picture, but  he said that making my LT40HD28G mill totaly remote for ALL functions would not be that difficult and would set me back about 4K max, getting the stuff to do it at the price he pays his suppliers, and him and I doing all the work. He figured 2 weeks start to finsh working evenings and weekends as he has to work at his day job. He then gave me a real quick over veiw of what he would do. It is so dam simple it stinks. Converting the Hydralics is where most of  the money would get spent.

He is going to do a little design work and see what he comes up with. He said I should look at the set works option as it would be a good time to integrate every thing.

Also figures he could give it an auto function so that once you have it canted out that you dont have to touch the mill while it finishes the log and I stack the lumber since it is "good exercise" for me. He must be wanting to keep me around for awhile with a comment like that.

He said if I wanted to get real fancy He could do a total laser?computer system that would read the logs and make the best use of the log while I just run my ass off stacking lumber since that is what really is "best for you, Dad".

Good thing I cant afford his ideas.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Bibbyman

My thoughts were..  "Why don't he work at figuring out how to automate the hard (labor) part of the opperation?"
Sawing since '94

Magicman

The best way to saw and avoid the  "hard (labor) part of the operation" is to just hire someone to do it all, but then we miss out on all of the fun.   :)    I think mine is automated just right.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Coon

Bandmill Bandit..... I think you better just sell me that mill and get that LT50 and forget about the automation.  Just tell him to build a robot that can run the mill from time to time when you don't wanna run the mill but have deadlines to meet.   :D  Better buy some new britches a size or two smaller two cuz you'll probably lose some weight keeping up to the robot.   :D   

Bibbyman

I don't have a robot but I got a good woman.  Mary finished sawing a bundle of flooring lumber as I delivered a load of cants to a customer.  As I was filling the Dodge with gas on my return home,  I saw the log truck go by.  I called Mary to give her a heads up.  When I got there she was unloading the load.  She'd finished the bundle of lumber, came in and started washing dishes, put a chicken in the oven to bake and started the coffee.  Hard to get a robot to do all that!  Got to go... Coffee to drink and home-made bannana bread to eat.
Sawing since '94

submarinesailor

Wonder Woman Mary. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Bandmill Bandit

I Dont need any one to give this kid ideas. he has enough of his own. only thing lacking is money and i aint so sure that is a bad thing. lol
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

trapper

Bibby
When I had my wife read this she said dont get ideas.
Marv
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Coon

Well now..... maybe that robot best be programmed like Mary... to cook, clean, unload logs, saw lumber.... you'd have it made in the shade.   

BTW .... Bibby don't let that Mary slip away between the cracks, they just don't make to many of em like that these days.  ;) 

Brad.

LOGDOG

I wish I could see Mary's face when Bibby's reading these posts off to her.  :)

Papa1stuff

1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Bibbyman

Quote from: Papa1stuff on October 21, 2010, 03:34:56 PM
I'll bet Mary can read them her self ;D

Even lucker for me... Mary don't have time to read the Forum!

Say!  I hear that the WM web site has been updated to include the new LT70 DCS and LT35.

http://www.woodmizer.com/us/promo/

Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!