iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing trash to treasure.

Started by Don K, October 04, 2010, 10:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don K

The last of the big woods on our hunting lease was cut this spring. I found two 14 foot white oak logs that the loggers left by the road because of heart rot. I pulled them to the top of the hill with my truck yesterday and took the mill to them this morning. I cut the second log back to 10' because of two limbs and cut the butt log in half.

It was a pleasant day to saw. In the low 40's this morning and a north wind at my back to push the sawdust away from me.

This was the view from the end of the mill. You can see the skid marks where I pulled the logs up the hill. Most of the countryside looks like that around here. Clearcutting and pine regeneration are the going thing in Alabama.

My stepson was out of school today because of teacher inservice. I had his help until time for football practice. He is sitting on the butt log.

Sawing 4/4 boards to get some QS oak. The dark spot in the middle is the rot I'm sawing around.

This is the other end of the log. It is a shame this tree couldn't have been left. I bet it was loaded with acorns every fall.

This is what I had at the end of the day. 430 bdft of mostly QSawn WO. Widths from 4" to 9". Definitely my treasure from someone else's trash.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

customdave

Don, good thing you came along so they totaly did'nt waste! Nice find...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

paul case

i just love happy endings don. i try to get everything a tree has to offer if i am going to cut one down. logs like those if they werent worth the time to make some boards , they would ride to the mill to be busted up for my wood stove.  just hate to see those marginal logs wasted.
i trash someonelses treasure once in a while too.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Okrafarmer

I've got some center rot maple and walnut logs waiting for me, if I ever get time to do it.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

fishpharmer

DonK, a nice day to saw indeed.  Nice lumber too.  Thanks for sharing.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

A good days work and some nice lumber to haul home. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

I sawed 3 logs like that about 1½ months ago, only they were Red Oak.

The customer was really pleased with what was taken from the logs.

Nice batch of lumber you got by the end of the day.

Great pics.  Wish I was good a posting pics, but I do get some posted once in a while.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

weisyboy

nice job.

iv got some firewood to cut into fence rails tomorow will get some pics.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Magicman

Good job Don.  Yup, the timber co. wants them down so they can plant as many pines as possible.  Clear cutting practices also brings me ERC jobs from loggers.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rph816

Good work on salvaging those logs.  We cut up a few cedars that were rotten down the middle this weekend, it's amazing how much good wood you can pull off the sides if you just take the time to do it.  At local prices, that's a $900 pile of wood (after it's dry).

Ryan

Banjo picker

Don thats a nice stack of WO  ....Thats my favorite wood..But you just can't tell about that middle...I cut a bigen a while back I was thinking I would get a lot of boards out of...It was so rotten and hollar that I didn't even put it on the mill....

TTTT....Don probably knows what that means.  It may have played a part in the subject name.....If not I will clarify.....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WDH

It is great to utilize what to the logger was cull wood, Don.  That LT40 sure looks good on you  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Sure wish they would do that with white cedar left on all the woods yards. Now, not all of it has some good jacket wood, but there is certainly lots that does. Heck some piles have 4 cords in them. Raspberry canes 7 feet tall and 12 foot tall pin cherry growing up around them now. Besides that, most will go as kindling wood if not lumber. Bundle it like the service stations and make your fortune. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 06, 2010, 03:57:22 AMBesides that, most will go as kindling wood if not lumber. Bundle it like the service stations and make your fortune. :D

You are so right. I wonder if there is a machine that can process a firewood sized piece into hundreds of long, splintery kindling pieces in one pass?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

jimparamedic

Okrafarmer

Quote from: jimparamedic on October 06, 2010, 10:57:44 PM
T-N-T

True.

I was just in the store tonight and saw where they had boxed wood kindling-- a pound and a half for like $4-5.

Thank You Sponsors!