iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sinker cypress

Started by Cpt.Mike, September 30, 2010, 03:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpt.Mike

First off hello to all as i am new here. The question I have for you experts is I have access to a large quantity of 18-24" diameter by 12' long sinker cypress in Louisiana. I am now trying to find a buyer for this product. I am new to this as I am a professional sportfishing captain by trade but am branching out the business I started during the recent oil spill. I have commercial divers, the boat is rigged, and the logs are located. I just need an outlet for them. Any advice or help is appreciated!

Mike

fishpharmer

Welcome to forestry forum Cpt.Mike.

Glad to have you.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

bill m

I don't know about marketing your logs but make sure you have all necessary permits to be working in wetlands before you harvest your first log. I read that S&S aqua logging of the American loggers show got into a lot of trouble for not having the proper permits
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Cpt.Mike

Thankyou very much sir!

This is the first forum I have ever joined besides fishing related. I really appreciate the welcome! I am very new to the logging industry as the oil spill has hamstrung us all on the gulf coast. I am a sponge for knowledge and appeciate any tips and/or criticism. Let me have it. I am a thinker and a doer and respect anyones opinion. Thanks again for the welcome.

Mike

Cpt.Mike

Quote from: bill m on September 30, 2010, 07:59:13 PM
I don't know about marketing your logs but make sure you have all necessary permits to be working in wetlands before you harvest your first log. I read that S&S aqua logging of the American loggers show got into a lot of trouble for not having the proper permits

That was my first expectation of a problem but I cant seem to find a state that requires permits except Florida. I would appeciate any insight you guys have to offer.

Mike

Magicman

Welcome Cpt.Mike.  I generally try to buy what I want to sell first.  That will give you a feel for the market.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Fla._Deadheader

Try contacting your State's Dept. of Natural Resources. Also, try Fish & Game Dept. They should know who to send you to. Many States require Permits and USER FEES. Other States outright BAN taking of Sunken Timber.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum.Not trying to be a smart you know what, ;D but start to pull those sinkers up and stir up the bottom and you will know right off quick where to get permits from. I know Maine has alot of laws about cutting by water ways,I would expect sinkers too. You don't want to get into a mess trying to make some money.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cpt.Mike

Like I said thecfarm, I appreciate the criticism. What I have found(and it was not easy to find) is that La.'s permit is 500 bucks. Now I just to figure out who to pay...

Mike

Buck

Mike, you in the florida parishes? Oh,,, welcome! try googling sinker cypress. I recently got a name of jimmys cypress in the nola area but lost the trail.  i will try to get you more info.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

ljmathias

Welcome also- good to have new members; keeps us old pharts out of trouble (some).

I'm ignorant on the value and uses of sinker cypress also- in my experience, cypress is pretty soft and light though its natural bug and decay resistance make it very useful for outdoor applications.  I watched a timberframe go up that was made of cypress and while it was pretty clear of knots and stuff, it was pretty boring as to grain and color.  So do sinkers offer some density, color or grain advantage?  They surely are more dense (why they sank in the first place) so does that make them harder to work but more durable?  Thanks all... ???

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Cpt.Mike

I have had very positive responses from the buyers i have made contact with. I still dont trust the information I have found about permitting. It seems to be the normal government MODIFIED BY ADMIN of noone knowing what anyone else is doing. I am glad this *DanG oil spill taught me patience. Thanks for all the welcomes and also all the advice!

Mike

barbender

MN allows no sinker harvest, about 15 years ago they gave some outfits the go-ahead to gear up for sinker harvest. Well, many enviros and concerned citizens raised a stink and the state cancelled all the permits they had issued. If I remember right, the state bought the equipment from the outfits to try to smooth things over.
Too many irons in the fire

Ron Scott

Michigan is very tough also. It's very hard to get the required permits for removal of any woody debris from Michigan waters.

Cypress wood was favored by boat builders due to its being light and durable.
~Ron

LOGDOG

Hey Cpt. Mike,

Welcome to the Forum. Where are you at in LA? I'm up in the Shreveport/Bossier City area. I can help you out. I'm very familiar with the permitting process in LA and obtained my first permit to pull sinker logs back in 2004 I want to say. I have the contacts to get it done. I also have the buyers and truth be told may be interested in them myself. How deep is the water they're in? Is it freshwater, saltwater, or brackish? Depending on the depth of the water I've got access to a deck barge (which is in South LA right now) with a 15 ton crane & grapple on it. I love sinkers. Any pine in the mix? I'll tell you up front that sinker logging is frustrating, dangerous,messy, exhausting, and in many cases an activity that sucks every last dollar out of a guys pocket and leaves him with nothing but bills to pay. However, done right under the right circumstances with favorable permits, good wood, a good market, and experienced help it can be profitable and even addictive. I know most all of the players in the market.

I'll send you a PM and maybe we can get together. If you're up my way you can come by my office otherwise I'll maybe be in South LA down around Covington this week.

Cpt.Mike

I cant thank you enough sir!

email sent.

Mike

CajunNSC

Interested in same as Capt Mike, Sinker & Reclaimed hopping for some info and a leg up. Permitting and buyers will be main concerns to cover at this point. Thanks to anyone that can advise.

captain_crunch

Get in touch with Shelby the Swamp Logger 8) 8) 8) Sorry the devil made me do it
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

customsawyer

The only thing that I can add to this thread is that don't even think about it in Ga. or the "River keepers of Ga." will be 9' up your other end.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Buck

Jake, they getting special priveledge on the swanee? Axemen I mean....
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Raider Bill

Quote from: Buck on January 05, 2011, 07:55:36 PM
Jake, they getting special priveledge on the swanee? Axemen I mean....
They are in Florida. Still I think they need some kind of permit.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

metalspinner

They're gonna need a burial permit from the looks of their antics on the show last night. ::) ::)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

loggerheadman

Hi everyone, this is my very first post on this site. Thank you for having me. To Logdog, Im from south louisiana and have several logs iv found and want to pull outa the water near my house but i want to make sure i have everything legal first. Could you help me with getting the proper permits? I just dont know who exactly to call or who to talk to bc iv call LDEQ, Corps of engineers, Scenic River dept, etc, but no one seems to either want to help me or knows how. Any real help would be greatly appreciated. And if i can get permitted, maybe i could sell you some logs. Thank you.

Magicman

Hello neighbor to the South, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

The Louisiana DNR or DEQ should be able to help you and define what permits are needed.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!