iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What chainsaw compable to a Stihl MS 260 PRO has a primer bulb and starts easil

Started by chris jensen, September 30, 2010, 05:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris jensen

My Stihl MS 260 pro with 20 inch bar is my most  used saw. I ha50 had it since it was new and starting is not easy.  My 048 stihl , old , but is easy starting. Have a 750 Echo which has a compression release as does my Stihl MS 260.  Both of these saws are heavy and I no longer cut the large trees these saws seem to be designed to cut.

Does Echo, Jonsereds, Husky, or any other brand chainsaw with 20 inch bar, 3/8 chain, make a saw that is easy to start?  I have a squit can with chainsaw mix and when I remove the air cleaner on my MS 260 cold starts are easy. The 260 starts easily after is is warm.

Al_Smith

FWIW on most saws it takes about 6 to 8 pulls just to get the gas from the tank to the carb if they have sat for a spell .Just the nature of a diaphragm carb .I suppose a primer bulb might help some .

If however you encounter a saw that needs primed with a squirt can every time it gets a cold start then either the carb needs attention or the choke is not operating properly .You might try opening up the low speed jet just a tad bit and see if that helps .

ladylake

a Echo CS400 can be bought off Ebay for right around $200. These are nice light easy to start saws with a primer bulb. Most times when cold 2 pulls to fire and 1 more to start and it has some kind of sytem that makes pulling real easy. With a muff mod and proper tuning they really cut, faster than my 45cc Echo and my 53cc Husky. Without a muff mod and tuning they are doggy as they come set way to lean , and the muffs really clogged up. This saw turned into my favorite around the mill and for limbing.  Mine has a 16" bar which it pulls good buried in WO, 20" would be pushing it as it is on a 260.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

John Mc

From the fact that the squirt can solves your problem, I'm guessing your problem with hard starting is the number of pulls it takes, not how hard it is to pull. Is that correct?

If that is the case, then Al's suggestion of richening up on the low speed mixture is a good place to start. (while you are at it, it wouldn't hurt to check the high speed mix as well, just to be on the safe side... though this will have little, if any, effect on starting).

Was the saw always like this, or has it gotten worse recently?

If it is time for a new saw, Stihl does make some "easy2start" saws, but last time I checked, they were more in the "homeowner" end of the quality range, and not of the same caliber as your 260. Other saws to consider in the same 50cc size range as your 260:  Husky 353/Jonsered 2152 (sister saws). Dolmar PS-5105.

Most of these, including your 260, I would have figured were a better match for .325 pitch chain, especially if you are running a 20" bar. Others on here have a lot more experience in this area than I do, however.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

celliott

I dont think you will find a "pro" quality saw with easy to start features. The only ones that I have seen are homeowner type saws, as John said. although, the husky website advertises the new 346 xp, with "smart start" which says resistance on the pull cord is reduced by 40%, and it has a decomp. valve. I dont know how much the smart start really works, I havent tried it. But many people on here can attest to the 346xp's reputation, which is very good.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Cut4fun

John Mc

I don't know how I left the 346 XP off the list. If I didn't already own a decent 50cc saw, that would top my list.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

terrifictimbersllc

My MS460 has 20" 3/8 and usually starts on 3 or 4 pulls when cold and during the day on 1 or 2.  Never had any 6-8 pull situations except maybe some of the time when the 090 is cold.  But the 460 is  heavy and I'm not ashamed to say I'm going to get a 346xp as my main saw and my first Husky.  Am weighing the MS260 pro too but your comments aren't helping its case.  Carry around an 090 with 41" bar and 404/063 027 for crosscutting and 404/063 052 chain filed for ripping,  but use it selectively.  Tired old and fat need to save every bit of energy during the day.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

chris jensen

I appeciate the information regarding responses to my questions regarding a chain saw that starts easily and has a primer bulb. I have had my MS 260 since it was new. It has always taken 4-5 pulls to get it started when cold. Starts easily after being warm. My older 026 has cut cords of wood and still runs good. It starts easier than my MS260. The compression release on the MS260 is supposed to make starting easier. Lawn mower engines with primer bulbs seem to start easy. I realize they are 4 cycle.
The MS260 Stihl is good saw for cutting wood. In my opinion the one I have should start easier as it was an expensive saw.  Over 500 dollars.

sablatnic

I would suggest the new Stihl MS261. The MS260 replacement to be. The problem is, that it hasn't got a primer pump, but it doesn't seem to need it either.
Btw. Are any of you using it, and is it ok. It feels really good when starting and testing it.

JHBC

Hi, I can't think of anything that would replace the MS260 in the same power, size, weight, and price range.  The same saw just north of the border is over $600, and the 346XP is about $700.  Maybe a bit more power, but more weight and dollars too.  If you don't need the saw for frequent use, you might try an MS290, about two pounds more, roughly the same power, and around here about $150 less than a 260.  It's just not designed for all day, every day  heavy use.  For a big jump in price the 361/362 would be my choice for 20".
MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

Cut4fun

Quote from: JHBC on October 02, 2010, 04:18:04 PM
  If you don't need the saw for frequent use, you might try an MS290, about two pounds more, roughly the same power, and around here about $150 less than a 260.  It's just not designed for all day, every day  heavy use.  For a big jump in price the 361/362 would be my choice for 20".

When did they start putting primer bulbs on the MS290?  OP thread says   What chainsaw comparable to a Stihl MS 260 PRO has a primer bulb and starts easily

JHBC

They don't.  Just giving another option.  I could have suggested a 50cc Poulan I guess.

Cut4fun

There's 49cc Poulans I would take over the 026 any day of the week.  Definitely over a 290, No primer bulbs though.  ;)

Al_Smith

Well truth be known some of the 3 cube Poulans are grossly underestimated .They aren't bad saws at all .

The 029 might be okay for what it was designed for but they certainly will not stand up to professional useage  as I can attest to by the ones in boxes in my shed the trimmers went through .Occasional firewooder,just fine .

The 026 okay for a 3 cube but it doesn't have as much as a stock 200 T unless it's been souped a tad. Then you soup the 200 and right back to square one .

JHBC

Ok, Ok.  I'm not trying to slam Poulans that hard.  I've owned a couple of early eighties 100cc models, and used them fairly heavy.  But they were unpredictable, and unreliable most of the time.  But they did the job when things were working.  As for the small ones the only one I've ever used is a 40-50cc model Poulan"Pro" with the adjuster on the bar and a primer bulb.  My dad bought it a couple of years ago as a backup for his 029, he does have an 066 for falling, but the small "homeowner" unit does blow away his yellow "pro" toy.  He should have grabbed a 260, but the hardware store was walking distance, and any Husky/Stihl dealer was at least a ferry ride away. 

Al_Smith

Well as general rule a 3 cuber no matter who made it is just more or less a small firewooder .A little small for my preference but to each their own .

On the subject of "hard starting " saws that too is a perception to those involved . I mean if you who think that a 3 cuber is tough to make make putt you ought to try tugging on my 2100 Husky some time if you want a work out for the old arm and shoulder .That one a toughy,ask anybody who owns one .

The primer button I suppose is fine ,they've had them on blowers and weedwackers forever .Of course more times than not you flood the danged things then spent as much time tugging and cussing as you would on one without a primer .

ladylake

Al    I think primer bulbs on saws just get gas to the carb  and will not flood a engine unless the needle is leaking.  On Ski Doo snowmobile they pumped gas right into the crankcase and if you primed them a little too much you'ld be pulling on the rpoe a long time.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

You're right from what I've seen of them they just fill the fuel side of the diaphragm chamber .However if the shut off lever leaks just a tad bit you can tug until you're blue in the face once you flood one .After a while you think you are rope starting a Harley even on a weedwacker .

Now that's another thing .I have lost count of how many of those darn things I fiddle with come spring time after they've sat with old gas in them all winter .Even my own and I for one should know better . :D Like the old story goes though if you point a finger you have three pointing back at you .

Cut4fun

The poulan you could buy a few years ago would have been the plastic crankcase 46cc and lower ones.  I dont count those as pro, those are homeowner.

I'm talking about magnesium cased ones that are real 3 cube 49cc saws. Poulan pro 305, and the green mag case 3000 etc, then you got the big bore 54cc 335 on 3ci body. .

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/83d0edc32fa80b3888256f77001779be?OpenDocument

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/ac4577f51a69e10688256bfc0013b59b?OpenDocument

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/f876d263d81a4c4888256f77001804b3?OpenDocument

isawlogs

I am not sure if it is too hard for you to turn over after four five pulls , (saw compression ) if so , have you looked into the Stihl elasto start handle. I have one on my 036 and it makes a big difference when starting the saw.
You may only need to have one of these on your saw to make it an easy start for you.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Al_Smith

Actually Baileys sold something like that with a spring gizmo in the handle .Gregg Grande sent a bunch of them to one of our GTGs in Oho a few years back .For some reason I can't seem to find them on their web site any more  ???
I have  a little one on a Stihl 200T .

Now on a 3 cuber unless it were set up as an alkie  racer I can't imagine why it would be hard to turn over but if so an an 046 Stihl rescue saw d-handle will tame it down .Those I have on a souped up 038 mag ,a 2100 Husky and an 084 Stihl .They cost less than 5 bucks ,big deal .

Cut4fun

I had to put some of the D-ring rescue handles on my dad in his 70's  saws too.  Hands just cant take the no-decomp kick backs anymore.

Guydreads

I think the Husky 550xp MK2 has a primer bulb, and it should be pretty easy to start... I know the Jonsered cs 2253 has one and it's the cousin of the Husky. The 550xp I'm sure will run a 20" bar, so that would be my recomendation, either the Jonsered cs 2253, or the Husky 550xp MK2.

Thank You Sponsors!