iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

flying squirrel season

Started by laffs, September 29, 2010, 08:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laffs

does anyone know if flying squirrels are protected in maine ? fall is here and its time for the squirrels to come home. this year should be better than the last couple because there should be less of them.
what do you do to be rid of these rodents? should i get a cat or a ferrit so far my best results have been rat traps and 22 bird shot in a pistol.  the bird shot being the most effective. my problem is that it does a number on my sheetrock but their doing a number on my insulation. is there a bag limit on the vermin? i think ive shot about 40 of them and trapped another 10
is there a better way to get rid of them or should i keep buying the 22 bird shot ?
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

beenthere

Do you have to shoot them on the sheetrock?

Or are you shooting through the sheetrock while they are in the insulation on the other side?

If that is the case, get a larger gauge shotgun.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

laffs

i  shoot them of the shower curtain arms of furniture, railings , throgh the insulation where there is no sheet rock. they tunnel in the insulation and sometimes you can see them moving across the paper. thats when i let the led fly
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

isawlogs

Keep shootin', I have heard of shooting mice on here with a 22 also .  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Woodwalker

Try to just shoot em in the head, don't mess up the meat that way. Squirrel and dumplings, squirrel and rice, fried squirrel............... digin1 digin_2 smiley_chef_hat going to take a bunch of em to make a mess though :D
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Corley5

Probably ought to plug up the holes where they're getting in first.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

IMERC

Quote from: Woodwalker on September 29, 2010, 09:04:51 PM
Try to just shoot em in the head, don't mess up the meat that way. Squirrel and dumplings, squirrel and rice, fried squirrel............... digin1 digin_2 smiley_chef_hat going to take a bunch of em to make a mess though :D

and we have another food thread...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

isawlogs

Corley, that would end the battle, he only asked if he could continue...  ;D ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

I've killed off 5 red squirrels this summer. I'm a ways from the woods and every once in awhile there needs a cleansing of the species.  ;D :D

They got too smart for the box trap. Actually, the skunks and coons wouldn't leave the boxes alone. :D So, it's a rat trap with peanut butter and a sherbet placed on top. Mighty tempting. :D 
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Piston

I would LOVE to see a picture of your living room!  I can see it now, birdshot holes through every wall and ceiling in the house  :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Slabs

I've had flying squirrel infestations on a few ocasions and the only thing that I have found effective is glue traps.  Got four of the miserable buggers in one night.   Place a trap on the "crawlway" that should be somewhat evident, check the traps each morning.  Many of the caught will die soon as there seems to be some toxin in the traps or the critter's constitution just isn't up to confinement and they succomb to psyche trauma.  Don't know which but  it works.

Closing the entry holes is a must but getting rid of the offenders comes first.  They're nocturnal feeders/movers.  Ya gotta get "em outa the house and seal up the entryway against their cousins.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the shootout with rat shot both .22 and .38.  Some of the scars are still in the soffit and it's been 20 years.

Good luck
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!