Spam email going around?

Started by Jim_Rogers, September 28, 2010, 01:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

I have just gotten this email a second time:

Dear Sir/Madam
    I would like to purchase Timber from your shop.What types of them
do you have in the size and what would be the prices?What types of
payments do you accept? looking forward to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Sean Rice

I have sent his email to the spam filter department on my ISP so that they will stop him from emailing me again.

Is anyone else getting this one?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jeff

Yea, lots over the years.  Some examples from this week. What ever you do, never reply to one of them. They come from different email addresses and I.P.
s so you won't stop them that way.

I'm pretty sure these are generated from the whois for domain name ownerships, then they send emails out with products that might be related somehow to your domain.

Dear Sir / Madam

Am Mr. David  i got in contact with your company to see if you sell
( Wood Splitter ) , if you do i will like you to email me with the picked
up price including tax and if you accept Master or Visa credit card as a
form of payment , but if you don't have this type kindly email me with
the types that you have or the one nearer to the one am requesting or
you can direct me to you website so i can see what you have for sale .

Thank you
God Bless
Mr. David

Hello,                                                                

My name is Chris Gardner, and i would like to Order some of your Barbar Chairs
also i will like to know the types you have in stock......so kindly get  
back to me with the price  and also wants to know the form of payment that
you accept and i would proceed with payment, Moreover this is for a Pick  
up so kindly get back to me with the price on the Barbar Chairs Only and we would  
proceed from there, Thank you and Hope to hear back from you.            

Regards
Chris Gardner  

Hello Good Day,
      This is Harry Smith With regards to your Company i am sending this email Regards to order some (Workbench and Trestle)
with    
*  Top Width: 19 - 3/4''
   * Top Length: 53 - 1/2''
   * Total length with vise: 58 - 1/2''
   * Front end vise capacity: 5 - 7/8''
   * Thickness at edge: 2 - 3/4''
   * Thickness at Center: 1 - 1/8'' .
i will like you to get me the sales price of one so that i will tell you the quantity i will be ordering, and if you accept  credit card as a form of payment.hope to read from you soon about my order request....
With Kind Regards
Harry

Good Day,
Am Robert Wood by my name in regards to my company am sending you this inquiry to know whether you carry Slab Saws,if yes then kindly let me know the prices on each or send me your website so that it will enable me to know the quantities of Slab Saws to purchase from your company.Well I look forward to hear from you soon .
Thank you very much.

with kind regards,
Robert Wood !

Good Day,
Am Lee Wilson by my name in regards to my company am sending you this inquiry to know whether you carry Drum Chippers,if yes then kindly let me know the prices on each or send me your website so that it will enable me to know the quantities of Drum Chippers to purchase from your company.Well I look forward to hear from you soon .
Thank you very much.

with kind regards,
Lee Wilson !

Hello

This is Godfred and I will like to order (Bale splitter).Do get back to me with the types and cost for the ones you do carry and let me know if there is an extra cost when using visa or master Card.Kindly get back to me with your name Are you the sales manager or the Owner?

Regards....
Godfred Gibson

Hello
This is Bob and I will like to order ( Tow Tugger  )Do get back to me
with the types and cost for the ones you do carry and let me know if
there is an extra cost when using visa or master Card.Kindly get back
to me with your name Are you the sales manager or the Owner?
Regards....
Bob Wilson
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

terrifictimbersllc

Jim yes I get a few every week which seem directed at wood products I might have to sell but there's always enough wrong with them, non specific in your case, that I can tell they're machine made as jeff points out. It's clearly a step beyond a language translation thing.   Looked for them just now but there are 522 junk mails in last 20 days and I couldn't find them.  I have a mac and I click on junk button which takes them out of my mailbox and supposedly adds info in them to the filter.  but it doesn't stop 500 more from getting through.  It does stop many, because my i-phone does not have a junk filter and on that I have to delete probably 50-75 of them a day. All because I have my email address posted on my web site. dennis
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jeff

It might not be your website where they got it, it may be your domain name registration page using a whois bot. However, you should try and avoid using an email address on your website if you can and use some sort of secure form for contact instead that guards your email address.

Piston

What do these guys do if someone replied back?  Is it just a way for them to confirm that your email address is an actual address?  I know we all see this kind of thing on craigslist all the time as well.  danG spammer people!  >:(
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Raider Bill

I get hundreds a day here at the office. I have used a program called Spam Arrest now for 5 years and found it to work great!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

terrifictimbersllc

Here's one this morning from Phil Larry, I have heard from him before but this one is new:

Dear Madam/Sir,
Am Phil Larry.I would like to know if you carry sawmills with the following specification's:

1.18 with a 6.5 hp ... hud-son Brand.
2. a228 with a 10 hp ..hud-son brand

Kindly advice on pricing and mode of payment you accept.

Regards.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SwampDonkey

Some may even get started on that site that buys and sells lumber globally if you signed up and made a profile. I keep getting solicitations from there (not hundreds, just one once in awhile) and I'm not even selling anything.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I never have. The items mentioned for purchase in the spams are usually of wide variety, but almost everyone I can attribute to somewhere on the Forestry Forum. My email address comes I'm sure was obtained via the Forum domain registration

Brucer

I get lots, all related to wood/forestry activities -- and I don't have a registered domain. In fact, the only wood-related web page I have is the one Jeff put up for me. My e-mail address isn't available on that page.  ??? ???

Most of the ones I get have the product name enclosed in brackets. It's like someone wrote a form letter with (insert product name) in it. But the people using the form letter don't clue in that you're not supposed to include the brackets.

I just trash 'em.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Bibbyman

We don't use Windows Outlook or any other e-mail managing software on our PC.  Instead we read our mail directly from logging into our internet provider's e-mail service that's meant to be used remote.  (If that makes any sense or difference)

Our IP filters the incoming mail and kills as many viruses as they can and filters out a lot of spam.  The other day I hit the statistics button just to see what it told me.  It told me that it had filtered out some 300+ spam messages that day.  It also has a quarantine file that always contain some questionable e-mails for some short time.  Still, probably half of the e-mail that does get through is junk or spam.  I recognize them for what they are and delete them without opening them.

What does S.P.A.M. stand for anyway? 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

WAG here Bib,

Spoofed Personal Attack Mail

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

Spam comes from way back when most all folks on the internet were computer geeks (and geeks in general).

Spam comes from a monty python skit where a resturaunt served nothing spam, with the underlying idea is a little bit of some things is good, but too much is annoying.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

Dan, I recall that episode. I have the whole box set.  8)

ohsoloco

Today I got an email with a new twist on an old scam.  It's the "millions of dollars in an out of country bank, and we need you to have it deposited in your bank account" scam, except it's from a 22 year-old woman that wants to spend the rest of her life with you  ::)

Ron Wenrich

I don't get that much spam.  I don't know what gets filtered out.  I have had several accounts over the years.  But, I currently have 3 accounts - one here at the forum, one on yahoo, and one on gmail.

I can't remember of ever getting a forestry or sawmill related spam message.  If it comes from the forum, I would surely be seeing them in my forum account.  I don't have a domain.

Gmail is used when I get to a site that absolutely wants an email address, but I'm suspect of it.  So, I give that and never open it.  I've only given it out a few times.

My Yahoo account is the one I use for all my relevant email.  I don't get much spam, except to places that I have given it out.  They haven't sold the address.  I have never received a forestry or sawmill related spam at this account. 

I used to have a Verizon account.  That one was a spam magnet.  It got so bad that 99% of it was spam.  I started receiving spam when I first signed up.  It was a business account.  That's when I went to Yahoo.  None of that spam was related to forestry.  They finally purged it after a few years and discontinued. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!