iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Soon to be swinging!

Started by woodbeard, November 12, 2003, 05:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbeard

Just got off the phone with a gentleman down in Mississippi who will soon be selling me a Peterson 8"WPF mill.
 8) 8) 8) 8)
Thanks very much to Mitch (LSUno1) for referring me to him!

My significant other is also very excited about this purchase, but is adamant that the kitchen cabinets must be finished first!
Looks like some late nights in the shop for me. ::)

Hey UrbanLogger, I will be "swinging" thru Memphis on my way back. Got any more huge logs? ;D

oakiemac

Good deal Woodbeard! Hope it works good for you.
Oakie
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Tom

Can I be jealous now?  I want one.

woodbeard

No, Tom, you must wait 'til I finish the kitchen. :D

LSUNo1

Glad to hear you were able to work things out. Peterson gave me his name to contact for a demo and when I called him he told me he was thinking of selling. Sounded like a good deal for what he was asking.

By the way I have narrowed my search to four choices...

96 Woodmizer LT40HD
97 Woodmizer LT40HD
99 Timberking B-20
No Mill at all (This one gets my wife's vote).

Anybody else taking heat from the missus for maybe spending a little too much time chasing logs and sawing lumber? I may have to lay low for a while  >:(

ScottAR

QuoteNo, Tom, you must wait 'til I finish the kitchen. :D

:D :D :D I love this place! :D :D :D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

WV_hillbilly

LSU  
        I feel your pain . My missus is not real keen on some of my recent purchases. Lets take an invetory of newly acquired toys I mean equipment in the last few months.

72  Ford 3000 diesel tractor with 6 implements
 16 '  tandem axle trailer
Husky 350 chainsaw
Husky 372 chainsaw
pickaroon
cant hook
skidding tongs
12 new chains for new saws

The next 2 things on my list are a mill and a skid steer loader. But since today was her Bday I had to buy her a new diamond necklace to some what pacify her .So I have to let my mad money build up again before I get some more things . ;)
Hillbilly

Norm

Way to go woodbeard, I'm anxious to see some pictures when you get it. Now get out there and hustle on those cabinets.

WV you seem to have gotten this bribery thing down. Course you can't wear a sawmill but they're just as nice to look at. :D

woodbeard

Hi, Mitch. Thanks again! Sorry to hear of your plight.
Not to rub it in, but all I had to do was show mine the Peterson demo video, and she was all set to go get one too! ;D
Then she went downstairs and tried making dinner. ::)
Well, that was months ago, and between all the other things on my list I have managed to get the kitchen about 80% done which is apparently enough to lay a deposit down on a mill. ;)

Also, I already have some sawing work lined up. The sawmill where folks used to buy dimension lumber and siding for barns and such has shut down, and the local fellow with the Woodmizer has become even less dependable than he already was due to his ongoing affair with the bottle. :-/ Though I lament both these circumstances, I realise there is nothing I can do about either, and folks still need wood (myself included).

RevCant

Woodbeard - congrats :) :) :)  You will soon be making a million like the rest of us swingers ;D ;D.  Seriously, when you set up, level is the key thought here.  Sure you can be portable, but stationary makes life nice.

LSU - go for the 97 WM,  especially if its a super model.  Hydraulics and bed frame improved in 97.

Have fun guys.  BTW, my wife has approved 4 sawmill purchases in the last 9 years.  Am I blessed or what!!!!!! 8)
If cows could only tail....

LeeB

HAd a fellow call me this afternoon with an enormous pecan log. Told him no way could I handle it. Any swingers in the central Texas area? LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Fla._Deadheader

Way to go George. 8) 8)  Keep us informed. I want all the info you can offer about yer larnin curve :D :D :D

Why not invite Tom to hep ya with that there kichen. That way he can get jealous sooner ;) ;) :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodbeard

RevCant, a million what? Trips up and down the log? :D
Our property is anything but flat, but I have one spot I had bulldozed years ago, never built on it, and managed to keep from parking dead fords there. With a little more work, it will make a nice sawmill spot.
 Deadheader, my learning curve is more like an orbit, keeps coming back to point A and starting over. ;D
 Tom, I will stock up on peas.

DanG

Congrats, Woodbeard! 8) 8)  I remember the day when we went to look at our mill the first time.  Linda got out of the truck and took a quick glance, then got back in the truck and started reading a book. I satisfied myself that the mill was ok, and went to start the "discussion phase," expecting a bit of resistance. She never stopped reading; just handed me the checkbook and said, "buy it."  She scarfed up a little 1/4x 2 inch strip I had cut and asked to keep it. She made a little shelf above the living room window to display some nick-nacks on. Turns out she was just as excited as me. :)
You are in for an exciting time when you bring that mill home and start whacking up everything in sight. 8) 8)
You gonna travel down there to get it, or have it shipped? If you travel, you could zip over into Texas on the way back and pay for your trip off of that pecan log. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Wife Problems?   Naw!  All you gotta do is let it entertain a little bit.  

"Hey Honey, the sawmill told me  to take some of this money it earned today and take you out for supper."

"Hey Darlin', here's some flowers the sawmill bought for you today."

"Sweet-heart! The sawmill figures there's  enough in the kitty to take a little vacation this weekend.  Ya wanta go to the beach?  ......maybe fishin?"      :P :D :D

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Hey Woodbeard,

Does this mean you'll be selling your chainsaw milling rig, soon?   I have been eyeing the new GB brand mill - much more substantial than the Granberg, but also more money.

See the new frame here:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=654f7d1afffcc2f664b46a238085bae4&threadid=11326

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Thank You Sponsors!