iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Custom sill beam anchors.

Started by Rooster, November 17, 2010, 12:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster

Well, I don't know if anyone out there has done this before, but I needed to anchor 7x7 treated sill timbers to a concrete foundation.  So I bought a bunch of 5 in. threaded concrete sleeve anchors, some matching threaded rod, and some steel tubing (used as sleeve extender).

I cut the rod to gain the length I needed to pass through the sill and well enough into the concrete foundation.

I then welded the threaded rod to the internal anchor bolt making it significantly longer.

Grinding the weld down close to the diameter of the rod so that an added sleeve extender can be slipped onto the rod.

These longer anchors allowed me to position the sill, and then drill through the top with a slightly larger auger bit, stopping short of the concrete underneath, and then switching to a long concrete rotary hammer bit to drill the remaining depth into the concrete foundation.

Rooster

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Brad_bb

I suggested to Rooster that he switch out the copper tube for steel.  Dissimilar metals don't tend to work well together - accelerated corrosion.   If using bare steel, I'd try to protect it some by plating, or dipping in epoxy sealer etc.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

witterbound

Looks like a good solution.  What is the purpose of the sleve extensions?  Wouldn't it work the same without them? 

Rooster

Quote from: witterbound on November 18, 2010, 09:04:23 AM
What is the purpose of the sleve extensions?  Wouldn't it work the same without them? 

The type of expansion bolt that I used has a sleeve that is split at the end. As the hex nut is turned the bolt with the bell/ wedge tip travels up. The nut is above a washer, which prevents the sleeve from also traveling, and the wedge is allowed to spit the sleeve, causing it to expand and apply force to the inside surface of the concrete hole.  Without the sleeve extension, I might run the risk of the sleeve being pushed back up the hole when the hex nut is tightened.  If there was enough surface pressure inside the hole, then I guess the sleeve might stay put. But if that were the case, then I guess I would have to wonder why there was an upper sleeve on the shorter/ original design.  I do know that other expansion bolt manufacturers use a knob or button to wedge the sleeve into the hole, but the ones I used didn't have that.  :)

Rooster

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

laffs

looks like a good idea to me. what brad said is true also. there are some epoxys out there you could us for all thread also. avanti has some industrial stuff, a bit pricey but its one of the better ones I've used
brent
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Thank You Sponsors!