Blades

Started by LPitt, September 24, 2010, 07:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

Paul is that the blade you showed me a couple of weeks ago? bg

paul case

yes,
pictures move slower sometimes than me. nice isnt it? pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Bill Gaiche

Nice if you intend to put it in your show case. bg

paul case

if it were a ''wasted'' circle saw it would make a great sign.  pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

backwoods sawyer

Just round the rest of the teeth off and you have a saw that you can practice folding up with. :)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

paul case

it probably will be $140/ ton scrap metal now. was $22 now it is worth $.07 if it even weighs a pound! pc
pc

terrifictimbersllc

weld 'em into little circles in standard hat sizes and sell 'em online as crowns  ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

redbeard

I recieved a new batch of blades from a different source and my blade length is a bit shorter than normal. So I have a problem with tracking now when i tension them up and engage they are walking off and eventually popping off before i can get them in log. (not a good thing) Would a longer or shorter band interfere with tracking? I'am tempted to send them back due to i have to loosen idle wheel all the way in just to get them on. I havent messed with tracking adjustments yet because my other bands are working fine. Need some advise thanks.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ladylake

A little longer or shorter shouldn't make any difference on tracking, I bought a couple Cooks super sharp(the only brand that didn't track the same) once which tracked about 3/16" forward of my otheer blades but they didn't come off. I might send the ones you got back being so short, you could adjust the tracking for them but it would be a pain switching from your old blades to these.  If your mill is adjusted right the blade should track the same turning forwards or backwards.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

redbeard

The regular bands are tracked real good foward and back. Its just when i put these on they are definitely shorter than normal, I will fiddle with it some more before i mess with tracking, I have the top right tracking adjustment screw frozen up, I fear it breaking off real soon I better go spray it good with some rust buster.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ladylake

And a little never sieze if you get it loose. The only time I had blades come off was running  diesel for lube on well worn v belts, switched to water that day and the blades stayed on, then replaced the belts.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

Not only would I talk with the blade manufacturer about sending shorter blades, I would also give TK a call before I changed any adjustments.  Somehow the tracking may be changing when the bandwheels are closer together.  Doesn't really make sense, but the tracking changing with shorter blades doesn't make sense either.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

I'm running 1 shorter blade that broke in the weld, the saw shop shortened it a little and rewelded it, it barely goes on but it tracks the same as my other blades. Nothing wrong with TK tracking or adjustments.   I'd suspect the blades redbeard got have a little more or less tension built in the blade. When blades come off the roll before they are welded if placed agianst a stright edge on a 13' blade there will be about a 1/4" gap in the center due to built in tension.   Steve

Tom

I doubt that the band length has much to do with the tracking.  I think I would suspect the welds.  If the band is welded at an angle it's not going to track too good.

ladylake

Yes the welding or the built in tension, one of those 2.   I've seen the built in tension with my own eyes at the saw shop, a 13' blade is no where near straight before it's welded, the owner told me if  was it would not cut good and he has run across rolls like that.   Steve

barbender

The guy I get my bands from told me the same thing, a blade laid out straight shouldn't be flat across the back.
Too many irons in the fire

Larry

Quote from: ladylake on October 03, 2010, 04:51:11 PM
When blades come off the roll before they are welded if placed agianst a stright edge on a 13' blade there will be about a 1/4" gap in the center due to built in tension.   Steve

I did something really stupid the other day and put a kink in a near new blade. :o  Cut the band and threw it aside.  Next day I was curious as to how long of bands my new mill runs so I laid out that band on the mill frame for a measurement.  It didn't look straight so I got Kathy to help me hold the band on edge.  I couldn't believe how far out that band was when laid out straight. 

It was cutting great before I put the kink in it...just don't know what to think now.

Next time one of you guys break a band lay it out and report back here with your findings. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kansas

The blades on our "other mill" are 21 ft 2 inches long.

redbeard

I'm running 1 shorter blade that broke in the weld, the saw shop shortened it a little and rewelded it, it barely goes on but it tracks the same as my other blades. Nothing wrong with TK tracking or adjustments.   I'd suspect the blades redbeard got have a little more or less tension built in the blade. When blades come off the roll before they are welded if placed agianst a stright edge on a 13' blade there will be about a 1/4" gap in the center due to built in tension.   Steve
Problem solved When i put new blades on that were short they were .055 and when i tensioned them up it put more strain on Idler wheel. remember i said i had tracking lock down bolt was froze up all three were broke off in threads so that was what caused new band to walk off foward it was pulling the wheel in. what was weird was the other bands would work, anyway it was bound to get worse, had to pull idler wheel off and drill and re tap works great now. 3 1/2 hr job and 1.99 at the hardware store back in bussinese.

ladylake

Good to hear you got it fixed, if you switched from .042 to .055 I can see where they would track different. I should shoot a little PB and never sieze at my adjustment bolts, haven't had to use them for a long time.   Steve

Magicman

Score another one for the home team.  Good job Redbeard, and thanks for sharing your fix with others.  Someone else will probably have a similar problem.   :-\   We always learn from others.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

logfarmer

Quote: One fellow here used Dremel 8125 stones  for about #2.50 each instead of the Norwood stones for about $10 each and said they worked better and obviously were much cheaper. I just bought 6 of them including shipping for $20 by mail. Wont be able to report how well it works untill next week.
Martin

Martin, could you give us some more information about these stones   I just tried searching for them, and this post is the only match that comes up in google  [/font][/font]

I   transposed the numbers of the dremel stones it is supposed to be 8215. They came from mytoolstore.com for 6 stones for $20 including shipping. I still have not had a time to see how they work, getting firewood for the winter, and other things.
Norwod LM 2000 23hp Briggs on trailer, Kubota BX22, Kubota RTV 900, 1948 GMC flatbed dump, 73 Chev 3/4 4x4 plow truck

ladylake

Quote from: redbeard on October 11, 2010, 02:19:52 AM
Problem solved When i put new blades on that were short they were .055 and when i tensioned them up it put more strain on Idler wheel. remember i said i had tracking lock down bolt was froze up all three were broke off in threads so that was what caused new band to walk off foward it was pulling the wheel in. what was weird was the other bands would work, anyway it was bound to get worse, had to pull idler wheel off and drill and re tap works great now. 3 1/2 hr job and 1.99 at the hardware store back in bussinese.

Let us know how many sharpening you get out of the .55 blades, might be a tad thick for 19" wheels.     Steve

redbeard

If i had a bit more power i could get a little more milage out of them. Your diesel would be nice, when this kohler checks out i want to put a diesel on my B-20 like you did.

papow22

I liked video that you (Larry) put up,But just wondering about the plans to build one,And where would a person send for them????.
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

Thank You Sponsors!