iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How big should my pump be?

Started by CX3, September 23, 2010, 10:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

Quick question.  I am building a firewood processor, and am putting a 36 inch stroke, 3 inch ram, 6.5 inch bore cylinder.  I need to know what kind of pump to get and what size to make this thing work rather fast.  I understand that my cylinder is pretty large, I could get a smaller cylinder but will be splitting oak six ways.  Also advice on an engine would be helpful also. 

I have access to a backhoe pump, but dont know what type of power will suffice.  Any advice appreciated. 
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

beenthere

If you have a 25gmp pump, I calculate it will take about 12 sec to travel the 36".
That doesn't seem very fast.
And, that's a quick calculation. About 5 gal of oil in the extended cylinder.

What size pump do you think you can get ahold of?

How fast do you want the stroke?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gary_C

Quote from: CX3 on September 23, 2010, 10:47:29 PM
I need to know what kind of pump to get and what size to make this thing work rather fast. 

Define rather fast first. Then you have two different cycle times to consider.

First the out or pressure stroke. Find the area of the piston times the stroke length and you have the number of cubic inches of hydraulic fluid to move and divide that number by the time you wish to run that cycle. By my calculations you have 1194.6 cubic inches for a full stroke and if you want to complete that cycle in say 6 seconds you will need 11946 cubic inches or 51.7 gallons per minute of pump capacity. (231 cubic inches per gallon) That's going to be hard to do with most pumps you will find as that's a big pump.

Then you must do the same for the return cycle but remember to subtract the diameter of the rod from the volume needed. So the return cycle will be faster.

Now that should give you the tools to do the calculations and adjust from there. You may not want to consider a full length cycle as you most likely do not need the full 36 inch stroke each time. And there are two stage pumps that can pump at a higher rate when not under much load.

Then after you do those calculations, the max pressure you will need will determind the HP required to spin that pump and of course you will also need to consider the hose size to carry that much hydraulic fluid.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

CX3

OK.  After running all over town today and asking questions I am going to use a 5 inch bore, 24 inch stroke cylinder.  With a 22gpm two stage pump.  The calculator says I need a 90hp gas engine to run it.  I was hoping for a smaller engine size. 
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Gary_C

There is something wrong with your calculator. That pump should not need that much horsepower. I'd say 10-15 max.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Larry

I built a 3-point splitter for the tractor using a 5" X 30" cylinder.  Put it on a JD 4030 which has 23 gpm flow and 80 HP.  Operation speed was quite reasonable.  Sold all my farm tractors and the only thing I have around now is a Ford 1720.  Flow is 7 gpm with 27 HP or so.  The splitter still has the same amount of power but now I can take a nap while the cylinder extends. :D

Gary's power estimate seems in the ball park.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

madmari

90 HP outta fire the split wood through the wedge so fast you won't need an elevator; just park the truck about a hundred yards away and fire the wood into it. A 3/4" plate should stop the wood from going through the cab. ;D

A two stage pump will make that size cylinder quite fast with a smaller motor. Very large processors are run with 18hp motors and 23 GPM pumps. 
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

Thank You Sponsors!