iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chess

Started by Dan_Shade, September 23, 2010, 08:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

Any of you fellas like to play chess?

I play pretty regular on yahoo! games, i'm not that good, but I enjoy it.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

I used to have a chess game programmed into the forum. Not sure what I ever did with that....
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mrcaptainbob

Randy88

I never learned as a kid but now my kids are teaching me, this last winter I was getting good enough to even beat them at it once in a while, I never thought my own kids someday would teach me, that never crossed my mind when I was a kid, gosh I'm getting old

Coon

I used to play one in a while but haven't played for a few years.  Might have to play against you sometime and see how good you is.  ;D

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

barbender

I used to play a little, I'm not that good and I hate losing. Bad combination. ::)
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

I was never any good at it. The pass time around here was always auction 45 or cribbage. My grandmother was a 45's pro. If you bid without the 5 of trump or ace of hearts, she either had it or got it on the draw. I like fast card players, not the ones that keep thumbing their hand of cards and can't decide what to play. Like pulling teeth. My grandmother was that way to. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warbird

I play.  A bit rusty but can still hold my own.  ;)

ARKANSAWYER

I have not played in years.  Won 2nd place back in the 80's in Korea in a Armed Forces Tourney.  Used to be pretty good.  Played alot with a guy stationed over there with me.  He won first place.  Do not like playing computer games.
  A few years ago I was at a fancy party for the hospital my wife works at and this Doc saw me looking at a fancy chess set that was out on a side table.  He asked if I played.  "Yep! I know how they move" says I.    So we played for a spell and I could tell the Doc was good and thought that he could just whup me.  So I just fiddled around and ended up the first game in a draw.  We were on the second game with quite a crowd watching when my wife came by to see what I was up to.  Someone told her that they were surprised that I was quite good.  Then she spilled the beans and told them I had lots of awards and trophies for playing chess when I was in the Army.  It is hard to hussle people when you wife is giving it all away.  ::)  The Doc just looked up at me and said "I thought that you just knew how they moved!"   "I do" says I "just did not tell you how well I know to move them."
  She learned years earlier that I could play when she found my chess set in a box with the kids toys.  I taught all my kids to play.  Not many play around here.  Dominos are big here.  I like playing them alot. 
ARKANSAWYER

Gary_C

I played in the Army too, but that was a lot of years ago. My division spent three days in tents in Hanau, West Germany when Pres. Kennedy came over to visit. Took about two hours standing on a huge parade field as Kennedy drove past so far away from me that we were all craning our necks trying to just see his limo. Spent the rest of the time playing chess in the tent.  ::)

I also played a lot of Pinochle in the Army also. We mostly played four handed but sometimes played double deck and cutthroat pinochle. Those were some wild games.

Good to see you back among us Arky.  ;D ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

nas

Quote from: barbender on September 24, 2010, 07:29:28 AM
I used to play a little, I'm not that good and I hate losing. Bad combination. ::)
x2
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Warbird

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on September 24, 2010, 01:38:26 PM
  I have not played in years.  Won 2nd place back in the 80's in Korea in a Armed Forces Tourney.  Used to be pretty good.  Played alot with a guy stationed over there with me.  He won first place.  Do not like playing computer games.
  A few years ago I was at a fancy party for the hospital my wife works at and this Doc saw me looking at a fancy chess set that was out on a side table.  He asked if I played.  "Yep! I know how they move" says I.    So we played for a spell and I could tell the Doc was good and thought that he could just whup me.  So I just fiddled around and ended up the first game in a draw.  We were on the second game with quite a crowd watching when my wife came by to see what I was up to.  Someone told her that they were surprised that I was quite good.  Then she spilled the beans and told them I had lots of awards and trophies for playing chess when I was in the Army.  It is hard to hussle people when you wife is giving it all away.  ::)  The Doc just looked up at me and said "I thought that you just knew how they moved!"   "I do" says I "just did not tell you how well I know to move them."
  She learned years earlier that I could play when she found my chess set in a box with the kids toys.  I taught all my kids to play.  Not many play around here.  Dominos are big here.  I like playing them alot. 

If the Mrs & I end up in Arkansas, I'd love to play a game of chess with you.  I don't have any official awards but I held my own in online tournaments a few years back.

DonT

Play alot with my daughter.

Dan_Shade

I've never minded losing in a game of chess.  It's not fun to be beat in 10 moves, but I can appreciate another player that is better than I am. 

Maybe we should have a forestry forum tournament!

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Frickman

I played alot in high school and college. Went to some tournaments too. I don't know if I even remember how the pieces move anymore, it's been so long since I played.

Back in college there was a card game called spades that was fairly popular. Maybe even more popular than poker. I don't recall how to play it either. I spend most of my time now playing logger and sawyer.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

SwampDonkey

Auction 45, basically Euchre, is played in any hall and yep some church halls all over this part of the world. Mostly 4-6 players with partners. In most of the halls it's played so that winners move onto a new table but the two losers at that table partner with the winners, so it's winner and loser as a partner in the table shuffle. Never played for money, just a simple door prize is given at the end. Nothing to get excited over. ;) The younger generation isn't into this type of social gathering (cards), well those with kids know more about it than me, but cards aren't usually the "in thing". ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mrcaptainbob

Hey, Arkansawyer, I was in Paju-Ri in1965. I bet there were more trees around when you were there....

JimMoore

Quote from: Dan_Shade on September 24, 2010, 08:23:06 PM

Maybe we should have a forestry forum tournament!

I'm not that good but I Love to play. 

Coon

Hey Frickman,  spades is a pretty fun game.  I learned to play it quite a few years ago and got pretty good at it. Just don't get stuck with the Queen of spades or you'll be counting lots of points.   ;D 

Have a hard time finding anyone around here to play any of these mentioned games and I'd like to play once in a while.  Guess I am going to have to install my Hoyle Card Games into the computer.  ;)

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Corley5

We used to play a lot of Euchre but not so much anymore.  When I was a kid we played Smear; High, Low, Jack, and Game.  I haven't played it in years now.  We also played Pedro for awhile.
  We played Chess quite a bit in grade and high school and I've played a few times in my adult life.  This thread prompted me to ask Dee where our set was so we could start teaching Zach  8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

woodsteach

I just learned chess last Thanksgiving (2009) and have been playing it with my daughters ever since.

I've told our friends that my girls are going to be chess players and not vb or bb players ....the shoes are cheaper and so are the doctors visits. ;D ;D

Oh, the oldest is 11 and stands 5' something in her socks did I mention she wears size 9 womens shoes, the bb coach is already trying to sign her up. ::)  She might have some height to her, when she grows up! ;) ;D

woods
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

SwampDonkey

In college the Forestry and Geology Building student lounge always had a game of Euchre or cribbage going on at a table in the mornings before class and noon before them long brutal 3 hour afternoon laboratory sessions. Always accompanied by lots of fresh coffee. Something about the smell of wood and brewed coffee in the air. As there was always a fresh piece of wood someone was carting in and out of there. :D ;D

JJ

I find corespondance chess site called www.chess-mail.com which is free.
Since it used email, I play friends on blackberry and Iphone.

If you like to play, register and let me know your login, so I can email to start a game.
I am not an expert, but hold my own (maybe about rank 1700 or so).  Been long time since I play any game which rankings are used.

JJ

ahlkey

Chess is a great great adventure that doesn't get enough credit.  It teaches strategic reasoning and if you can plan your moves 4-5 steps ahead of your opponent you should do well.  I always was teased by my buddies when I joined the chess team in High School as it just wasn't cool for an athlete to do.  Went on to play college sports but when I look back I really valued my chess playing days in my 20's.  I did attend chess tournments and did very well but never won many but at the end did achieve by the Chess Federation  an expert rating.  If you want to get a Master level you really have to be dedicated to a lot of tournments and somy serious study.   Teached all my kids to play before they were in kindergarden.  Son won a few tournaments as well.  Right now haven't played in maybe 10 years but someday will get back to it I am sure.

Thank You Sponsors!