iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood Arrived

Started by metljakt, September 23, 2010, 01:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metljakt

My new Norwood MX Pro-34 arrived.  Two skids, 44 boxes.........................................God help me.

DeepWoods

When I got my LM 2000 from Norwood I was a little overwhelmed as well.  First thing to do is find the box with the assembly instructions and start reading.  I found that the boxes and hardware were well marked and after reading through the instructions a couple of times it was easy to get things assembled correctly the first time.  The other thing that was very helpful was to use a pneumatic wrench to speed things up during the assembly.  Take your time, and follow the instructions, and you should have a nice mill that will cut good lumber for you.  Remember, we like pictures, so take a few during the assembly so we can see your progress.
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

metljakt

Thanx.  I found the box with the manual.  Your advice about pneumatic wrenches is taken as gospel.  I think I also want to hire a mechanic part time.

As far as the pictures go....I can't seem to upload them.  I think Java needs updating.

By the way I'm getting calls from people wanting logs cut.

logfarmer

Congrats on the new mill. I just bought a used LM 2000 so it is allready assembled. A trailer kit is on the way so I can share a very small portion of your pain when putting that together. I did watch the video of how to assemble the mill and though there are a lot of parts it looks like it is straightforward enough and the sugestion of a pnematic wrench is probably good. My favorite is a battery powered impact wrench use it all the time or even a drill motor with a clutch would maybe work.
Martin
Norwod LM 2000 23hp Briggs on trailer, Kubota BX22, Kubota RTV 900, 1948 GMC flatbed dump, 73 Chev 3/4 4x4 plow truck

pyrocasto

Congrats that looks like a nice mill.

What's more scary than putting that together? Making one from scratch without instructions. This mill makes me feel stupid sometimes while building it. Good luck on your project.  :)

cutterboy

I'v e seen the video of that mill and it looks great. I bought a LM2000 back in 2001 and I've had really good luck with it. While you're putting your mill together, just think about all the fun you'll have sawing lumber and that will keep you going.
  Good luck with your project! I'd love to see pictures of you sawing your first log.

Ralph
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Jeff

Sounds like great fun to me.  8) Then again, as a kid, I had 3 complete erector sets.  :)

I always thought that once a Norwood owner got his mill together, he had a great advantage when it came to maintaining and repairing as he new every nut and every bolt and every adjustment on his mill.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

paul case

Quote from: metljakt on September 23, 2010, 02:19:20 PM
I think I also want to hire a mechanic part time.
By the way I'm getting calls from people wanting logs cut.

i wouldnt hire a mechanic. once you get the mill up and running you probably wont have much trouble with it. thats my experience anyway. my mill is not a norwood but there isnt too much that goes wrong with them that cant be fixed usually before a mechanic could drive out. my mill has 340 hours on the motor and it just now needs one belt replaced. oil changes come more frequent for me than any breakdowns.
getting calls for custom work is good. line them up. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

barbender

Like Jeff said, you will know your mill inside and out once you get it together, and that's a good thing.
Too many irons in the fire

bandmiller2

Nothing worthwile is easy,when your done no fear making adjustments,So many folks put up with maladjusted mills because they don't know or are afrade to make adjustments.Consider assembly, bandmill 101,don't rush. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

metljakt

Thanx for the encouragement gentlemen.

DeepWoods

I don't know if the new MX Pro 34 comes with one, but if it doesn't, you might want to consider putting a hour meter on your new toy.  My Lumbermate 2000 did not have one, but for a few bucks you can start with zero hours on a meter and keep track of your maintenance schedules a lot easier.  There are several types out there.  Some have their own battery, and some have to be wired through the key switch.  Both would be  easy to install while you are putting things together. 
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

isawlogs

Modifying/adding before its out of the box ,  8)  Congrats on your new mill.  Take your time read the intruction book a couple of times and have a go. I think I have seen on here somewheres theres a mill put together step by step and I do beleive it was a norwood , I could be shooting in the dark too.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

metljakt

I'm gonna love it!  Canadians build good stuff!  Fortunatley for me I speak fluent Canadian, eh!

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

nas

Quote from: metljakt on September 24, 2010, 03:01:44 PM
I'm gonna love it!  Canadians build good stuff!  Fortunatley for me I speak fluent Canadian, eh!
Sorry :D That's Canehjun eh! ;D

Nick from Milton, just westa Trona
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Mike@Norwood

Hello Metljakt

Welcome aboard to the Norwood family. Should you have any questions or concerns, remember we're only a phone call away. We can be reached toll-free at 1-800-567-0404.

Happy milling and have a great day

Mike@Norwood

Ironwood

Just checked out the new Norwood, (I have a fully optioned LM4000) and I REALLY like the new one. I saw it at Paul Bunyan Fest. and it IS NICE.

Enjoy. Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!