iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaws and fire hazards

Started by motif, September 23, 2010, 08:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motif

Last time I played with my chainsaw in my garage I got a phone call and had to go out
quickly so I turned off my toy and put it on the ground full of wood shavings and went away.
Later in my car I thought what if those shavings got enough heat from hot chainsaw motor
to set a fire? Hence my question is there something to worry about or not really?
I mean my garage is not attached to my house so I would be fine but still it's a good looking garage  ;)
Have you heard any cases of fire because of the chainsaw?

Nate Surveyor

That question seems to hinge on 3 main things: Moisture content of the wood shavings, the degree of protection built into the saw, and does it have a catalytic converter. The last 2 are sort of together, however, the older saws don't have them.

I used to live in Central Ca. , where it was DRY. I mean REAL DRY. Out there, you could start a fire with a bush hog, or mower smacking a rock, generating a spark.

Also, I used to hear about special spark arrestors REQUIRED on small engines. (this was in CA too) There were aftermarket spark arrestors for sale. Some of them were added to the existing mufflers, and others were a full replacement. Since moving to Arkansas, this seems to much less important.

So, the specific answer to your question is going to have to answered by you....
How moist...?
How well designed is that saw & muffler? If the saw is old, and has rusted holes in the muffler... (due to damp environment or salt etc) then it may be an issue.

I will comment, that sometimes fires are started by catalytic converters, on autos, and modern saws have a version of a catalytic converter in them.... so it could conceivably make it an issue more often. Catalytic converters often get hot. Real hot.

So, be careful out there. I dunno. Be careful. A land surveyor burned his nice new truck to the ground, and nearly killed himself this way. He had to run on foot from the fire, that his truck catalytic converter started, and it nearly got him.

I don't think many chain saw users know that there are now catalytic converters on their saws. Once again, it well depend on the design alot. Local humidity is a factor.

Best wishes on being safe.

Nate

I know less than I used to.

motif

thanks Nate for tips,
I didn't realized the chainsaws may have catalytic converter.
Anyway same concern I have  when putting chainsaw into the car after job in woods,
it's hot and gasoline smells....\
It is covered with plastic almost 100% though so maybe it is kinda protection.

thecfarm

Anything can happen.I've been around chainsaws for 30 years and have never happen to me,YET. Tell you the truth I never gave it a thought. Your climate is kinda like what I have here. I would not think about setting my saw down in some sawdust that I just sawed.But I would set it down right side up.I would not lay the exhaust down onto the ground.If cutting trees that are alive the sawdust is damp,but cutting dead wood the sawdust would be dry.I suppose it could caught on fire,but doubt it.But saying all this,it could happen and once would be too many times.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HolmenTree

Saws with the mufflers on the side like the old Homelites, Macs etc. were  fire hazard prone saws while felling close to the ground. Even spark arrestor screens didn't help in some instances.

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

oldsaw

Highly unlikely to start a fire, don't have the heat needed.  Catalytic converter could change that a bit, but on a front mounted muffler with the saw sitting right side up, just about impossible. 
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

HolmenTree

Dry grass with a side mounted muffler blowing on it only a inch away or closer from the outlet can start an ember.  Especially during a long hard cut in big timber  when the saw is working hard. Add a dry wind to it under hot weather conditions, whamo.
When I used to cut 54" dia. paper rolls at the local paper mill with my front mounted muffler Stihl 090, I started a fire halfways through the cut at a area on the roll where the outside layers were ripped and frayed. It was hot and windy at the time.
Alot of heat comes out of the exhaust outlet at WOT, hold your finger there and see.

Willard  :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!