iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what is your chainsaw MPG ?

Started by motif, September 21, 2010, 05:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I think it matters- Premium gas ain't cheap and when you add the pre-mix oil thingsstart getting expensive. My Husky 346xp burns way less gas than my Jonsered 2171, it has a tank half the size but seems to go twice as long. So, most of the time the 346 is the go to saw unless I'm cutting something that calls for the bigger saw.
Too many irons in the fire

Rocky_J

So the difference between burning $2 of gas per day and $3 of gas per day is enough to make that big of an influence on which saw you use? I'm not trying to be critical, but for that tiny amount of money I'll use whichever saw is the fastest for the task at hand without sweating over a few pennies worth of fuel. I usually use the smallest saw capable of handling the job, but the cost of fuel doesn't enter into my mental computations. But then I also won't drive a mile down the road to buy gas that's a penny cheaper per gallon.

motif

Quote from: Rocky_J on September 23, 2010, 10:23:34 PM
So the difference between burning $2 of gas per day and $3 of gas per day is enough to make that big of an influence on which saw you use?

well, don't underestimate 1$ - dollar to dollar and after 1 year you have 360$ or so savings without interest.
After 2 years you'll have enough money to buy second good chainsaw and a dinner for whole family.

barbender

No, a dollar a day difference doesn't make that big of an influence. All I am saying is that there is a big difference in the amount of gas my two saws burn, and it adds up at the end of the week. There are other reasons I go to the 346 most of the time, mainly, it's way lighter. If a guy was just looking for a firewood saw, not cutting big wood, I think a 50cc saw is more than adequate with the added benefit of lower fuel costs.
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

Even cutting brush 40 hours a week only costs $25 a week including the oil. I take a full 1 gallon jug in the woods each day and usually come out with 2 or 3 tank fulls left in it. I can get an hour a tank, sometimes 1.5 hours depending on density of the stems. Tank is a little under 0.7 litres, 56.5 cc. Fuel oil and propane is way past the tipping point to even compete with wood cost for heating around here. As my uncle says, if the government doesn't collect labour tax on my work to make the wood, it's (labour) not worth much. I know some of you guys will bulk at that. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: motif on September 24, 2010, 02:14:34 AM
well, don't underestimate 1$ - dollar to dollar and after 1 year you have 360$ or so savings without interest.
After 2 years you'll have enough money to buy second good chainsaw and a dinner for whole family.

I gotta laugh here, because you know why? There is always something else that so called saved dollar  a day get's eaten up by. For example, which is more beneficial, more wood cut to keep your but warm or throwing it on a lottery ticket. :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Rocky_J on September 23, 2010, 10:23:34 PM
But then I also won't drive a mile down the road to buy gas that's a penny cheaper per gallon.

Not even 10 miles to a Tim Hortan's for coffee that isn't even as good as at home? :D :D

I gotta roust a bit you know. ;D :D

bill m

In the woods when I am cutting and skidding I average 1.5 gal. of gas a day. If I am just chopping in front of a skidder 2.5 gal. a day. When I cut firewood I make about 10 to 20 cuts then shut the saw off, move the blocks and split them. No wasted fuel with the saw idling while I move wood.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

HolmenTree

When I think back when cutting pulpwood I would say my old Jonsered 630 when new had the best fuel economy of all the saws I ever owned.
Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

tjdub

I'm not nearly as concerned about how much gas a saw uses as I am about how long it will run on a tank of gas.  I have two old Jonsered 930s and they are not exactly fuel efficient, but I can fill my full-size pickup on one tank of gas.  The newer Jonsered/Huskies don't even come close to that.  Sometimes it's nice to just make a quick run for a load of firewood without having to worry about taking two saws or gas and oil with you.

I've been wondering if the Stihl 650 might be a similar setup since it has the same sized fuel tank as the 660 which has a larger motor than the 650.  Anyone know if this is the case?

Al_Smith

Who ever made that comment of a 50 cc saw is a good firewooder is pretty much dead on .Use whatever you have . In my case of having 45-50 saws I usually grab one of the 60- 70 cc saws of which I have several makes .Those 100 plus cc backbreakers only come out on very rare occasions .

SwampDonkey

Yeah my brother and I have Huskey model 55's for firewood. Trouble is we get it all processed at the door now and them saws hardly get used. Then be jiggered I had to go down to Jeff's and win a brand new saw the same size practically and ain't even near warn out the first one. :D

isawlogs

My firewooder is the 034/036 wich ever is the closest.
Swampdonkey , put that saw in the car this fall just before leaving to come here , I will take care of it for you.  ;) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

:D :D  Your in the same position as me, you haven't warn out what you've got there yet. ;)

I know, sure is an awful burden. :D

oldsaw

Rocky is right.  The extra buck or two in gas gets transferred into either a shorter day or larger load, depending on the weakest link...which could be you.  Sharp chains, properly tuned saws, and don't forget the extra buck or two in gas you could easily spend trying to get home a bit faster because you are running late.
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Al_Smith

Quote from: isawlogs on September 24, 2010, 08:09:53 PM

My firewooder is the 034/036 wich ever is the closest.

Would that 034 or 036 or 034 with an 036 top end .If so I have one and it does extremely well with just the stock 036 piston and cylinder .After I'm through with it it will do even better . 8)

isawlogs

No Al, its two saws , 034 and a 036. If one of the 034's ever have issues, it will get an 036 top end.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Al_Smith

With a little extra work an 034/036 top can be turned into a little torque monster .Surprising for only 60 cc.. Light weight to boot .

Thank You Sponsors!