iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gadgets and Gizmos

Started by RichlandSawyer, September 22, 2010, 03:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichlandSawyer

I was looking through some old woodworking magazines and admiring all the ingenious things people have come up with over the years to make theirs lives and hobbies easier. I was hoping some of you would like to share some of your home brew inventions. I can always use some new ideas.
Here is a couple of mine to start things off.

Richland Sawyer

Tablesaw blade and dado cutter holder

Bar clamp rack

Keeps the glue ready to go, no pounding on the bench

This is a removeble chain hook for the bucket of my tractor

Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

D Hagens

Hey Richland Sawyer, if I get a chance I will take a pic of my glue holder, kind of like yours but I chuck the cap. :)

pigman

I like your glue bottle holder. I have to ask, how hard is it to clean off the bench when the cap comes off. I lost my glue bottle cap and just stick a piece of take over the hole.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

D Hagens

Quote from: pigman on September 22, 2010, 10:33:17 PM
I like your glue bottle holder. I have to ask, how hard is it to clean off the bench when the cap comes off. I lost my glue bottle cap and just stick a piece of take over the hole.

Pigman if you look at his bottle holder, drill a hole the size of the cap on the bottom plate, lower the top support so that when you put the bottle through the hole it sits in the drilled hole. This is the way that I made one of mine and it works great! No mess, no cap and the glue is always at hand and at the right end of the bottle.
The others that I have have no top support, just a back rest that's at an angle. :)

Magicman

How the heck to you find stuff in a neat shop  ???  Errr, I guess if it's neat, maybe you don't loose stuff.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Radar67

Last time I saw a neat shop was in High School where we were made to clean up after class every day.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

gary

I like the saw blade holder. If I can get close to the any of the walls in my garage in the next couple of years I'm going to make one.

Raider Bill

Quote from: gary on September 24, 2010, 12:35:19 PM
I like the saw blade holder. If I can get close to the any of the walls in my garage in the next couple of years I'm going to make one.

I'm about 6 feet from any wall myself. I got to get rid of some of these bikes and bike parts.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

RichlandSawyer

Here is another time saver. The first time I had to put the bags back on my dust collector after dumping I decided I needed something better. I found the plans for this in wood magazine. The dust and wood chips just fall into the garbage can then I lift the lid and dump the can.

Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

woodsteach

Quote from: Radar67 on September 23, 2010, 09:06:41 PM
Last time I saw a neat shop was in High School where we were made to clean up after class every day.

Yep, our shop looks that good at the school.....but at home.....well that is a different story!  Great looking shop Rich

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

SwampDonkey

This is is one gadget I bought last Christmas that I am not too impressed with.

It's a 3" C-clamp as you can see. Tooltech from China. The screw is fine, but the dang cast isn't threaded to tight enough tolerances. A man should not be able to bust a C-clamp threaded in this size material with his bar hands. My hands ain't that strong.  :-X >:( >:( From now on when shopping for C-clamps give it the wiggle test and if it's loose chuck it back in the bin. Quite honestly, I think China makes this stuff to last just long enough for you to get your $20 of use, like an extension of their shop where your paying by the hour to have someone clamp your material.  >:( >:( >:( Once your purchase breaks in short order, you've had your money's worth. Toss it into the recycling bin and let China do it's magic all over again.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

David Freed

I don't know if you would call this a gadget or machine, but I thought this was pretty neat.

http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/115/extras/milling-machine-patterns-and-setup/

It makes these.  

smiley_furious3  I'll show you if I can figure it out.   smiley_headscratch

Woodchuck53

With the new garage now we found that the fall leaves have a place to hang up. I took and cut the spout off of the wife's yard blower and glued in a 1 1/4' pc. of pvc with a male thread glued on. Then glued a female threaded pc. onto a pc. of 10' pvc pipe. From a 6' step ladder I can reach the break in the roof line that holds the leaves. When finished unscrew the 10' pc. and store away.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

scgargoyle

I'm not sayin' my garage is messy, but if you poured a gallon of water out there, it would be 10 minutes before the first trickle hit the floor.......

I made a simple gadget back when I was building plywood rowboats many moons ago. On a boat, nothing is straight or square; it's all curves and angles. To top it off, the angles change from bow to stern. The problem then becomes how to accurately plane the edges so you can nail a plywood bottom on the boat without gaps a mouse could crawl through. At first, I would lay a straightedge across the surface to check my progress. Then a light bulb went off (a real one, not a CFL. It WAS a long time ago!) I attached the straightedge to the hand power planer! Now I could just walk down one side of the boat and back up the other side with the straightedge laying across the opposite side, leaving a surface that was dead flat across. Building them in batches, I could knock out a 14' skiff, ready for paint, in 6 hours labor.

I've always made up for my lack of skill and talent by making gizmos that take the hard part out of the equation. Different kind of talent, I guess. I have a friend who builds very expensive guitars. I tooled up his whole shop with jigs, fixtures, and machinery to make the job easier and more repeatable. For example, a guitar has a crown across the fingerboard. The standard is about a 7" radius. He had a cutter that would put the crown on, but what do you do after the inlays are glued in? I took a horizontal belt sander and built an overhead attachment to hold the guitar neck. It swings on a pivot, neatly sanding a perfect radius across the fingerboard. It is adjustable for whatever radius you want. Now if only I could come up with a (legal) idea to make money. ;D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Thank You Sponsors!