iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chain saw mill

Started by hobbytrucker1966, September 26, 2010, 08:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbytrucker1966

i built a chain saw mill last winter with a 18 hp  lawn mower motor and a 24 inch chain saw bar similar to a ban saw mill with the blade laying on its side and sawing like a ban saw anyone heard of this done before it worked very good and im building another one this winter actually with some modifications
fourth generation sawyer with all my fingers

paul case

welcome hobbytrucker,
serveral here have built cs mills and they are great. i need to make a big un to split the logs that are too big to saw with my bandmill.  hope you enjoy your time here and share some pics of that homebrewed mill. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

redbeard

Hello hobbytrucker, I want to also build a slabber mill would like to see and hear more about your mill.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

Welcome, hobbytrucker1966, to the Forestry Forum.  Pictures are also very welcome here.  It sounds like you have a novel idea there.

We have several other members from NS here.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Trucker,welcome,every so often their are deals on long bars at Baileys.Anouther thing to look into are heavy harvestor parts sprockets,chain and bars.Chain teeth seem to stay sharp longer when their run at a lower feet/min.Oiling is very  important.Please show us some pictures of you mill if you can figure out the picture thing, it eludes me. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

pitotshock

Welcome to the forum, hobbytrucker1966. Have a look around the old threads here for some great ideas of what people are building. Lots of band mills, some chainsaw mills, great big circular mills, small diameter (relatively) circular mills with swinging blades...

Here is a pic of the chainsaw mill I made last winter.

Stihl MS361, Makita DCS340

terrifictimbersllc

Very nice! did you get that paint from LogRite?  8) 8)  Welcome to the FF.  Wondering if I could make a dedicated slabber for Peterson tracks.  :P :P
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

sandhills

First of all wecome hobbytrucker, you definetly found the right place.  I would love to see pics also, but I can't seem to figure it out either so can't hold that against ya  :D.
pitotshock, I took a gander at your photo gallery, such a shame you can't fabricate much on your own :D :D :D :D.  That's some very impressive work, keep us posted on the circular mill.

Hilltop366

Hi hobbytrucker1966, and welcome from another Nova Scotian.

I made one too around 12 years ago.

hobbytrucker1966

thanks everyone for the welcomes ive been sawing since i was old enough to make the carriage on my dads old mill move
fourth generation sawyer with all my fingers

simplicityguy92

let see some pics of ur mill im building an electric one and im almost done

Thank You Sponsors!