iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New mill truck

Started by NWwoodsman, September 19, 2010, 11:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWwoodsman

Well, it's also our daily driver and bee truck to, But should be good to haul the mill around with too. 2006 Chevy crew cab 4x4 duramax allison 3500 dually flatbed. I think I could get about 2 cord on it for firewood cutting, not that I real want to cut and split 2 cord in one afternoon. Great truck with lots of power and even got a 1year bumper to bumper with it. Cost about 10k more than we wanted to spend, but the first one in our price range had lots of miles, used coolant and shoot out black smoke. One thing I don't like is the poor gas mileage, thought  diesils got better than 13, hard to swallow after the toyota's 20.

Jason

sandhills

Congrats on the new rig!  I agree about the mileage, my BIL has a duramax that gets about the same.  I had a 83 ford with the 6.9 deisel and it would get about 20 mpg on average.  Of course it was probably short about 200 hp though ;D.  You'd think this day in age they could improve on mileage instead of going backwards but I guess hp is the name of the game.

chevytaHOE5674

Have a Dmax at work that routinely gets 18-20mpg making trips around the area to pickup junk and what not.

StephenRice

You guys have got to switch over to Cummins.  Not only do they have the torque and better fuel economy, but they last longer and are much easier to work on as well.
"Pure gold fears no fire!" - (Ancient Chinese proverb)  What do you fear?

sandhills

I would love to switch to the cummins, just something keeps getting in the way....oh yeah it's the money thing. :D :D  So I guess for now I'll have to stick with the old 6.9.  A very good freind has a dodge with cummins,6 speed I love that truck, so over powered it's ridiculus.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: sandhills on September 19, 2010, 06:41:52 PM
I would love to switch to the cummins, just something keeps getting in the way....oh yeah it's the fact that its wrapped around a dodge truck thing.

There ya go I fixed it for you  :D  :D  :D

barbender

Seems like you should get better than that, at least running around empty. I would expect 16-18mpg. Diesel is too expensive to be getting only 13mpg. My ol' 97 Dodge 35000 4x4 Cummins still hits almost 20 once in a while, I've gotten as much as 23.5 with that thing. That was really keeping my foot out of it though, never went over 55mph. I don't know if it's the new ulsd fuel or my rig just getting old, but I don't get the mileage I used to before ulsd. Hope you can do something to bring the mileage up, do you have a heavy foot? ???
Too many irons in the fire

boatman

I wish my 1978 Dodge 300 got 12 mpg.  It's usually around 6-9 mpg.  But then I only paid $700 for a 1ton flat bed truck and thats all right with me.  An added plus to gas engines is that I can replace the entire engine with a new one for the cost of a set of new electronic injectors on a "modern" diesel truck.

sandhills

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on September 19, 2010, 09:12:08 PM
I would love to switch to the cummins, just something keeps getting in the way....oh yeah it's the fact that its wrapped around a dodge truck thing.

Actually I got to admit I'm not a big dodge fan but really do like the newer ones and the cummins.  boatman, deisels are definitely pricier to work on I admit that also, but still have no desire what so ever to ever own another gas burning anything of any kind, but will still have to do to the money issue of just purchasing them to begin with.  Bought a pickup with a 6.9 this summer just for the engine, had spent tons on parts for my old 83 a couple years ago and let the block get bad-long story.  Anyway bought it "as is" drove it home pulled the engine and found the block cracked and almost welded back up :( :(.  Anyone know how good jb weld works on blocks?

StephenRice

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on September 19, 2010, 09:12:08 PM

About the only thing wrapped around my Dodge is a couple of Chevy TaHOES wrapped around my front bumper.

StephenRice

Quote from: boatman on September 19, 2010, 09:44:53 PM
I wish my 1978 Dodge 300 got 12 mpg.  It's usually around 6-9 mpg.  But then I only paid $700 for a 1ton flat bed truck and thats all right with me.  An added plus to gas engines is that I can replace the entire engine with a new one for the cost of a set of new electronic injectors on a "modern" diesel truck.

That is why I like my '98 5.9L 12V Cummins with it's indestructible Bosch P7100 mechanical inline fuel injection pump and it's mechanical injectors that only cost $200 for a whole set new at Pensacola Fuel Injection.

tjhammer

I have a f250 banks enhanced and I have a problems of the mileage falling off and power going down so every now and then I have to pull the air cleaner and pull out all the cummins and duramaxs out and its runs fine again

tj
hammer

StephenRice

Quote from: tjhammer on September 20, 2010, 08:10:37 AM

I have a f250 banks enhanced and I have a problems of the mileage falling off and power going down so every now and then I have to pull the air cleaner and pull out all the cummins and duramaxs out and its runs fine again

tj

LOL... Must be just the dust from behind the Cummins that you have been eating.  That, or you tried to chew up and spit out some Cummins and figured out your truck's eyes were bigger than it's stomach and could not swallow what it tried to bite off and chew.  I really do feel sorry for ya' though.  Most guys I know would rather be Cummin than Strokin any day...  (Sorry, couldn't help myself...)

Thank You Sponsors!