iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody using the optional seat on the WM?

Started by StephenRice, September 18, 2010, 09:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenRice

Quote from: Larry on September 21, 2010, 08:51:58 PM
The band is turned inside out to run backwards...if that makes sense.

Okay, now it does. I did not think about the blade being able to be turned backwards to reverse the cut.  That is what threw me.
"Pure gold fears no fire!" - (Ancient Chinese proverb)  What do you fear?

WH_Conley

I just leave the sawdust chute in the transport position, blows across the 12' shed, can saw hard 2-3 weeks before using the tractor and bucket to move it. About a minute, maybe 2 in the morning cleans out my walking area. When I am portable, just set the mill according to the prevailing winds.
Bill

paul case

Quote from: WH_Conley on September 21, 2010, 09:57:02 PM
I just leave the sawdust chute in the transport position, blows across the 12' shed, can saw hard 2-3 weeks before using the tractor and bucket to move it. About a minute, maybe 2 in the morning cleans out my walking area. When I am portable, just set the mill according to the prevailing winds.
thats kinda the way mine works.no seat though since mine requires walking.
stephen,
the sawdust problem is a small one on bandmills. if i cut 6 days straight it gets to be a pile that amounts to 3 yards.   slabs on the other hand are a lot to deal with. that same 6 days worth of slabs equals 2-- 15 yard dumploads of cut slab firewood.
most portable sawyers make arrangements for both by setting up to saw on a pile of logs and then moving to the next,or having a loader or a skidder to move slabs  and sawdust. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

StephenRice

Well, that is exactly what I figured as well, Paul.  I just asked because I did not know how the sawdust would be right by the cutting head without running them for quite a while myself.  So, I asked those of you guys who are in the know so I could learn from you instead of making any mistakes myself.
"Pure gold fears no fire!" - (Ancient Chinese proverb)  What do you fear?

backwoods sawyer

I am just thankful that my mill produces such a small amount of sawdust after a days worth of sawing. Where the Mighty Might with its 3/8" kerf can make a "REAL" pile of sawdust that has to be dealt with after every log or two. When you start having to move truck loads of sawdust it can be an issue, when I can kick the top off the pile as I walk past that is not a problem. Besides the tailing pile and the sawdust pile are side by side when I pull my mill out leaving a smaller footprint behind.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

I have never considered sawdust to be an issue.  You or your helper just shovel it out of the way.  The bigger the sawdust pile, the more lumber that you have sawed.  Big sawdust pile equals more dollars.   ;)  That's what I am there for.  Make sawdust, I love it.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!