iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody using the optional seat on the WM?

Started by StephenRice, September 18, 2010, 09:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenRice

I was wondering about the optional seat that WM offers.  It sure looks nice to be able to sit your butt down and ride along with the mill, especially to a guy with a back back and knees.  But, I also realize that you would have to have some help with you to handle all of the offloading and stacking and staging work, or climbing up and down into the seat might be more hassle than it is worth.

Also, another big worry I have about that ride along seat is that I would inhale enough sawdust every day to crap out a couple of cants myself in the mornings.  Of course, the fiber might keep my colon clean, but I think I would rather get my fiber another way, TYVM.

Has anyone else had any experience with these things? 

Some other posts got me thinking about some modifications that I would like to add to the seat.  First of all, I melt in the heat.  So, the umbrella idea sounds like a doable thing to me, only I would probably not use a regular umbrella.  I would probably weld up a frame (not too heavy) with a solid or fabric (Sunbrella) covering to get some shade.  Then, the cup holder really made a lot of sense, too.  A small catch all bin somewhere for junk like a cell phone might be nice too.  Then, I thought a 12v fan mounted near the top rear would help keep me cool and, if strong enough (like those little squirrel cage fans), it could keep the sawdust away from me and my face.

Whatcha'll think?  Might be a lot cheaper than the moveable command control...
"Pure gold fears no fire!" - (Ancient Chinese proverb)  What do you fear?

Chuck White

Hi Stephen;
Magic Man regularly uses his operators seat with an umbrella attached.

I have an operators seat for my mill, and I keep it on a high shelf in my garage!

I tried it and with all of the up and down and ins and outs, as far as I'm concerned, it wasn't worth the bother.

If I had lots of help on the other side of the mill, I would give it another go!

I guess there are quite a few of them for sale, so check those out before you go and buy a new one!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WH_Conley

Being of the full figured type, like I am, the seat is a little difficult to get in and out of. I also have a bad knee, every once in a while I will have to drag the seat out and put it on. I remember an old thread where Electric Al and Linda had a ride along platform that really sounded good, if the axle wasn't in the way. Permanent install would be great.

The cup holder would add a little more sawdust to the diet. I keep my water jug behind the mill and still get extra fiber. The extra cants would be good for production, don't where you are going to find an off-bearer at.

Umbrella sounds like a good idea, I think Magic Man has some pictures here of his setup.

Wood Mizer already comes with a catch all, it is called the hydraulic box lid. :D
Bill

Jeff

Well, if anyone is looking for one, my friend Lou has got one he's willing to part with.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

StephenRice

Quote from: WH_Conley on September 18, 2010, 10:40:20 PM
Being of the full figured type, like I am, the seat is a little difficult to get in and out of. I also have a bad knee, every once in a while I will have to drag the seat out and put it on. I remember an old thread where Electric Al and Linda had a ride along platform that really sounded good, if the axle wasn't in the way. Permanent install would be great.

The cup holder would add a little more sawdust to the diet. I keep my water jug behind the mill and still get extra fiber. The extra cants would be good for production, don't where you are going to find an off-bearer at.

Umbrella sounds like a good idea, I think Magic Man has some pictures here of his setup.

Wood Mizer already comes with a catch all, it is called the hydraulic box lid. :D

I am one of those big guys myself, and I was wondering about the getting in and out of the seat like you are talking about.  What I really want to do is to use one of these mills in missions work over in Cambodia.  There, the average per capita income is $260 a year, and that is including those that work in the cities where wages are much higher than in the country.  That being said, a $2 per day wage is really good for the people there.  So, I was figuring that I could afford to hire enough help to handle all of the staging for me.  That is why I thought that it might be worth it to get the seat and save my knees and back.

I like the fact that WM says that their seat can slide back and forth to adjust for leg room.  However, what I did not see was anything about the seat swiveling.  Can anyone tell me if the WM seat swivels?  It might make it easier for a decrepit semi-old fart like me to get in the seat, especially if the seat were replaced with one with arm rests. 

Yeah, I thought that the arm rests would make things nicer as well.  I hate to sound like a complete powder puff, but even that brand new seat looked like it could stand some creature comfort improvements.

paul case

Quote from: StephenRice on September 18, 2010, 09:13:40 PM
I was wondering about the optional seat that WM offers.  It sure looks nice to be able to sit your butt down and ride along with the mill
Some other posts got me thinking about some modifications that I would like to add to the seat.  First of all, I melt in the heat.  So, the umbrella idea sounds like a doable thing to me, only I would probably not use a regular umbrella.  I would probably weld up a frame (not too heavy) with a solid or fabric (Sunbrella) covering to get some shade.  Then, the cup holder really made a lot of sense, too.  A small catch all bin somewhere for junk like a cell phone might be nice too.  Then, I thought a 12v fan mounted near the top rear would help keep me cool and, if strong enough (like those little squirrel cage fans), it could keep the sawdust away from me and my face
until you put the part about missions work in the last reply i was going to say that if you dont like all the dust ,heat, walking standing  loading and unloading and general work that the only reasonable solution was to sit under the ac in an office or at home and watch wm videos of other people sawing lumber. sometimes that is what i would like to do. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

StephenRice

Quote from: paul case on September 19, 2010, 12:09:19 AM
until you put the part about missions work in the last reply i was going to say that if you dont like all the dust ,heat, walking standing  loading and unloading and general work that the only reasonable solution was to sit under the ac in an office or at home and watch wm videos of other people sawing lumber. sometimes that is what i would like to do. pc

Yeah, Paul, it is all about the missions work.  If it were all about money, I would say forget it.  I am too old and washed up for that and don't care so much about money anymore.  I made most of my money in my 20's, making six figures working part time in construction work.  But, I have little to show for it now.  As the scriptures say regarding building up treasures on earth, I have truly seen moth and rust consume and thieves break in and steal.  I have had hundreds of thousands of dollars of my money disappear like a puff of smoke in just those ways, not counting the countless dollars that I have wasted senselessly in my younger years.

And, if I melt in the heat, then why Cambodia you might ask.  Well, Paul, I would have to say, "Ask God." Can't give you a good reason other than I feel as though the Lord has pointed me in that direction.  As fat as I am, maybe the heat of a tropical country is just the medicine I need to lose some weight and get into shape?!

I could go on and write a novella of the reasons why I have a burden for SE Asia and the people there.  But, I will let that go for now.  Meanwhile, I will continue to try to soak up knowledge from you experienced folks like a sponge so that I might actually be of some worth when I go overseas.

Chuck White

I'm also told that with the operators seat in place, you will be limited to log length of 16 feet!

Something to consider!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Seat is a great idea if you like to travel,but only if you have an offbearer.Better setup is a LT-70 with the podium set up in an air cond.shack.Keep some cold drinks available for your offbearer to ward off mutany.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

StephenRice

Quote from: Chuck White on September 19, 2010, 06:16:53 AM

I'm also told that with the operators seat in place, you will be limited to log length of 16 feet!

Something to consider!

The seat does cut down on log length, but I do not think that it is that much.  The WM catalog clams that the seat reduces allowable log length by 25".  With the LT40 / LT50 and LT70 log length capabilities at 21' and 20'2" respectively, that would leave the log length capabilities for the LT40 and LT50 at 18'11" and the LT70 at 18'1".  Additionally, the seat can fairly easily be removed for longer logs, and there is always the option of bed extensions as well.

How often do you guys realistically mill logs between 18' and 21'?

StephenRice

Quote from: bandmiller2 on September 19, 2010, 07:30:59 AM
Seat is a great idea if you like to travel,but only if you have an offbearer.Better setup is a LT-70 with the podium set up in an air cond.shack.Keep some cold drinks available for your offbearer to ward off mutany.Frank C.

Sounds like more luxury than even I could hope for out in the bush. (Except for the drinks.)

Magicman

I always use my seat, and I'm not a big guy with bad knees.  I do have to remove it when sawing 20' logs, but that is seldom and not a problem.  Loosen two bolts and lift it off.  I can and do remove it myself, but really it is a two man job.  I just replaced my worn seat this year.

I love my seat.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dangerous_Dan

I'm with Magicman, the seat is great and it's 1 of the reasons I bought a Woodmizer.
It comes down to the saying can you walk and chew gum? or maybe it should be walk and mill wood? I find it easier to sit and mill wood. This way I don't have to deal with walking or stepping over the axle.
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

StephenRice

Magicman,

Now you have something like what I was talking about.  I like how your umbrella is adjustable.  That would help keep the sun off you when it comes in from different directions.

I do wonder how the sawdust is when you are sitting so close to the cutting head?

Dangerous Dan,

I love the car!  I knew a guy in Lakeview, Michigan that used to have one just like it.  He was a little older than me.  His big problem was that he thought he was a Duke boy and wrecked the car multiple times during HIGH speed chases with the police.  The car would seem totaled, then he would straighten the frame and do a bunch of bodywork, and then the car would rise from the ashes like a phoenix and look brand new again.  I think he originally had a 383 and then changed it out to a 440, if I am not mistaken.  What are you running?  I would sure love to see that car up close.  It looks really pretty from your profile picture.

paul case

Quote from: StephenRice on September 19, 2010, 02:15:02 AM
Yeah, Paul, it is all about the missions work.  If it were all about money, I would say forget it.  I am too old and washed up for that and don't care so much about money anymore.  I made most of my money in my 20's, making six figures working part time in construction work.  But, I have little to show for it now.  As the scriptures say regarding building up treasures on earth, I have truly seen moth and rust consume and thieves break in and steal.  I have had hundreds of thousands of dollars of my money disappear like a puff of smoke in just those ways, not counting the countless dollars that I have wasted senselessly in my younger years.
i know about that but i believe god helped me to put some of the money i was making into something perpetual, real estate aka cow pasture, that is helping me pay for some of the left over debt from previous jobs, raising chickens.
btw i am a pastor of a so. baptist church inpeoria,ok , a community near my ranch.i have not been on any out of the country mission trips but i have sweat a lot here in my own county and i can say without reserve that i have seen a lot of great things God has done when his people are obedient to his calling. worthwhile sweat. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Quote from: StephenRice on September 19, 2010, 02:23:16 PMI do wonder how the sawdust is when you are sitting so close to the cutting head?  

That is a drawback.  When I can, I place the mill so that I am facing SW.  That way, the prevailing wind is in my face.  I have been known to sit up on the seat back.  That helps me to see over a a big log, as well as avoiding sawdust at times.  I also always wear a dust mask and eye protection when sawing.

Here is the link showing replacing my worn seat.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,7789.msg637469.html#msg637469

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

StephenRice

That looks like a pretty nice seat, MM.  Is the lumbar support as good as it looks in the picture?  Also, did you find a web site for Michigan Seat Company or did you just call them and order on the phone?  I would like to see what other seats they might have.

Your installation looks great, too.  I have never seen a nut riveter before.  That was a total new one to me, and HF has a store right here by me that I have shopped in frequently.

I think that I would definitely have to design a rig with a strong fan to try to keep the sawdust out of my face.

Magicman

That seat is actually very comfortable to me.

If you want a WM seat setup, I would be contacting Jeff about Lou's seat that he is willing to part with.  

StephenRice

I would love to get a used seat from Lou, but I think I have to get the mill before the seat.  Getting a seat before the mill is kind of like getting the cart before the horse, you know?

Magicman

Your OP and subsequent posts questioned getting a seat, not a mill.   :-\

WH_Conley

Go ahead and get the seat, you can be comfortable waiting on the mill.  ;)
Bill

StephenRice

Quote from: Magicman on September 19, 2010, 09:04:59 PM
Your OP and subsequent posts questioned getting a seat, not a mill.   :-\

Yes, I am sorry if I wasted anyone's time.  I was asking because I would like to have all of the right information and advice before getting a mill with all the doodads and such.  After everyone's comments, I think I would like a mill with a seat, but I may buy one second hand in order to save money, possibly refurbishing it with a new seat with flip-up arm rests, good lumbar support, a locking swivel base, umbrella or other covering, and a 12V fan.  I am serious about getting a mill, but I will want to first make sure that I learn from other people's mistakes rather than making any more of my own.  Lord knows I have made enough mistakes and could've used some sage advice in the past.

Kansas

We have a seat on the LT 40 that we bought years ago. At that time we cut mostly lumber for retailing kiln dried lumber, and my theory was the sawyer could get a better look at the boards as he cut. In retrospect, and after getting the LT70 with a remote station, I would say that is a better way to go. You can always put a chair there. And if you set it up near the board return, you can see what the boards look like as they come off the mill, if you are sawing for grade. Dust was always a problem if the wind was blowing the wrong way.

Magicman

Quote from: StephenRice on September 19, 2010, 11:55:36 PMI am sorry if I wasted anyone's time.

Oh no, no apology necessary here and no time was wasted.  Questions/answers are what it is all about.  Every one will help someone.  I just got involved in the seat and forgot/didn't know that you didn't have a mill.....yet.  ;)

Kansas makes a good point about being able to move to a different location if/when the wind is blowing sawdust in your face.  Twice, I've had to actually stop sawing cedar because of the dust.  But, that was only twice in nearly 9 years of sawing.

I bought a used mill which happened to have a seat.  I "grew up" with the seat, and would not even want to try another method.

backwoods sawyer

I am a bit gimpy in my right leg, and only have so many steps that I can take in a day before it takes its toll. Walking along side the saw head while it done its job was just not going to work for me, therefore I opted for a mill with a command control. Another option that has become available is the wireless remote, witch allows you to move around the mill, or sit in a comfy seat with an umbrella and a fan if you like. Might be worth looking into.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!