iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw bar got stuck - lesson learnt

Started by motif, September 18, 2010, 03:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motif

I drove today to the bushes by the river and I was cutting almost 7-8 inch thick fallen tree lying on other trees and my chainsaw got stuck  :'( the end of that tree was supported on others and I was cutting somewhere in the middle from the top down instead from the bottom up and the bar with chain got squeezed in the middle, I couldn't  get it out.
I realized then I forgot to take second saw or hammer with wedge to get it out.   :(
It took me 20 minutes or so to get it finally out using force of my hands and moving the bar up and down.
After this operation the chain was loose and needed tightening. I was lucky the tree wasn't thicker and bigger because then I could not be able to succeed without a wedge or second saw.
Is there any way to do help yourself in situation like this without tools?   :P

Magicman

Always carry another bar and chain, plus axe and plastic wedges. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Been there, done that.

I always take two saws...

Now when you get 2 saws stuck in the same log, then you look a bit silly. Crazy thing is that it was about a 6" limb that had been twisted into a pretzel shape and was so full of tension that it grabbed the saw. Had to cut it out, and it also grabbed the 2nd saw, but no so tight that I couldn't work it loose.  :-[

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

motif

Quote from: Ianab on September 18, 2010, 05:38:21 PM

Now when you get 2 saws stuck in the same log, then you look a bit silly. Crazy thing is that it was about a 6" limb that had been twisted into a pretzel shape and was so full of tension that it grabbed the saw. Had to cut it out, and it also grabbed the 2nd saw, but no so tight that I couldn't work it loose.  :-[

Ian

that's really funny :) I imagine how you could feel.
Anyway "unfortunately" even doing such simple thing like logging we have to think about physics laws.

pineywoods

It does make one feel rather silly. did it yesterday, stuck one saw cutting a 6 inch post oak limb. Went and got the second saw, cut up from underneath, DanG limb twisted sideways and pinched the second saw. Couldn't pull either one loose, finally got the forks on the tractor hooked into the limb and broke it off. Then tried to lift the log with the loader on the tractor. I could get it off the ground, but couldn't move, rear wheel off the ground. Had to drag the log out to smooth flat ground  to get it loaded on the trailer. 12 ft X 24 inch post oak, it will be cut into 4X4 for fence posts. What else is post oak good for?
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Frickman

Not to one up you, but I've gotten three saws stuck in the same log, and I'm a professional logger. It happens to all of us. If I can reach it with the skidder winch I can get it unstuck. If I can't reach it with the skidder winch I probably wouldn't be cutting it anyway.

I keep spare bars and chains on the skidder and in the truck for this sort of situation. Usually every month or two I have to take off the powerhead and install another bar and chain. It happens. Almost always when I'm limbing or bucking twisted logs and limbs under tension.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Magicman

I was felling a big old SYP when a wind came up.  Instead of falling, it just spun around and hung up in another tree.  I didn't have another saw or bar/chain.  I just removed the powerhead and went home.  I checked it a couple of days later.  The tree was on the ground and my bar/chain was lying on the stump.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Frickman

Magicman,

Grandpa knew a guy who did that regularly. If he couldn't get a tree wedged over he just walked away for the day and hoped it would fall by morning. Many times it did. He and grandpa worked together on some jobs and it always worried grandpa when he did this, as there is always the chance that someone could come by when it fell and get hurt.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

motif

but shouldn't we cut always making notches on the log first on the top and the bottom, especially when the logs are twisted and lying in difficult terrain so that way the bar couldn't be clinched anyway?  although that requres more cuting hence more fuel and time. I was cutting on the edge of the river on a pile twisted logs so it was not easy even to stand still so using other tools like wedge and hammer couldn't problematic anyway. Detaching the head would be even more
hard to do but I see a point now to have spare bar with chain with me...

Just reading about different techniques of cutting wood depending how they are supported or twisted.  :P

northwoods1

Quote from: motif on September 18, 2010, 03:58:41 PM
I drove today to the bushes by the river and I was cutting almost 7-8 inch thick fallen tree lying on other trees and my chainsaw got stuck  :'( the end of that tree was supported on others and I was cutting somewhere in the middle from the top down
Is there any way to do help yourself in situation like this without tools?   :P

Well I don't know about with no tools but with a small tree like that it would be pretty easy to just find a branch or pole lying nearby and with a fulcrum use it to pick the log up the fraction of an inch it would take for the saw to fall out. Also, maybe don't start cutting in the middle begin on an end where there is no risk of pinch and work down in to the tree relieving the pressure as you go.

Magicman

Especially when a limby tree such as our Red Oak falls, there are many different forces, both upward and downward.  Each limb must be read in a different way.  Sometimes you are right and sometimes you miss something and figure wrong.  Just topping the fallen tree can cause problems because the trunk is providing downward pressure and the limbs are providing upward pressure.

Bottom line is, if you saw, you will eventually get pinched.  Better have a backup.

JDeere

Your incident reminds me of something that happened to me 25+ years ago. I was cutting my first job with a 17HP Kubota tractor with a Farmi winch. The landowner wanted every 6" plus hardwood tree on the 5+ acres logged for firewood. I always carried 2 saws and felt pretty foolish after getting the second saw stuck trying to get the first one out. I thought what am I going to do now when I realized I could get a third saw from my neighbor's shed. I went and got the saw and finally got my 2 saws un-stuck. Not wanting to waste a trip I put his saw in the bucket and pulled a twitch of logs out to the landing area. When I got there I dropped the logs and pushed then up on the pile with the loader bucket. As I backed up the pieces of my neighbor's saw fell onto the ground. That ended my day as I went home to call around to find parts for a Poulan. I finally found a distributor down in Portland, Maine (4-hour drive) who had the parts. Lesson learned!
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

ibseeker

It's interesting to read that other guys have this problem too, even the professionals. If the FF ran a poll about experience, skill and knowledge I'd probably be in the top 2 for lack of all. After reading this though I can see that it can happen to anyone. In the future I'll have more tools available and follow your suggestions. The bonus is that I learned something here and won't feel so foolish for making these mistakes. I always read the posts about using a chainsaw, falling trees and working safely because it's very apparent how dangerous this kind of work is. There have been numerous times that I'm concerned about what I'm doing. I've got some trees that I won't cut and will have to get some professional help with, they're just too dangerous for a guy with my level of experience. Thanks for sharing your experiences, I appreciate it because every little bit helps me learn to work safely (is that a word?).
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

beenthere

Talking about getting stuck with a bar in wood (happens to me too) brings to mind two things.

If possible, get into a couple of the courses of the Game of Logging (at least #1 and 2) and,

go into the woods with a buddy.

I often go in alone but it isn't the best game plan, especially for the inexperienced. Too many things can happen, as we often find out. I was just in the woods mowing and clearing trails, and a 4" limb flipped on top of me, missing my hardhat-less head by inches.  ::) ::)  Just being in the woods without a hardhat is probably not wise, even when not cutting.

Wear the protective gear too, especially the chaps.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jimparamedic

I've used a car jack to lift the log and get the saw out works on big logs too

Emajsh

I usually take two saws with me in the woods, but i never go without an axe and wedges. You cant go wrong with an axe, if its a limb just cut it off with it and if its a log then drive a wedge. The axe always starts and never runs out of gas! :)
JD 340D  HUSKY 385XP 372XP

motif

gush, from what you're guys saying even a 3 chainsaws could be not enough... ;D
I need a axe and a wedge then with me all the time that for sure.

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Nate Surveyor

I found an old rusty bar, with chain, stuck in a standing tree, one time!

:)

N :D
I know less than I used to.

submarinesailor

Quote from: Nate Surveyor on September 20, 2010, 08:09:49 AM
I found an old rusty bar, with chain, stuck in a standing tree, one time!:)N :D

Nate,  Can I have my bar back.  I meant to go and get, but I forgot. ::) ::) ::) ::)

Bruce

mad murdock

When my brother and I started logging for ourselves, (31 yrs ago), we didn't have a backup saw, just one saw for each of us.  We kept an axe and a misery whip in a large box at the job, which we could lock up.  In the box we also kept some tools and gas and bar oil.  This allowed us to go to/from the job most days on a motorcycle.  Had to use the hand saw a few times to get a saw unstuck.  A few times both chainsaws would be stuck and we needed to rely on the axe and hand saw to get unstuck.  It happens to anyone who has spent any time cutting wood. BTW, I have left a nice chain/bar impression on the end-grain of a stump or two as well.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

John Mc

Quote from: motif on September 20, 2010, 06:48:41 AM
gush, from what you're guys saying even a 3 chainsaws could be not enough... ;D

The number of saws you'll need is one more than you have with you.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ron Scott

Well said! Especially if you only have one saw. ;)
~Ron

Magicman

:-[  :-\  I hung both of my saws up today felling a large White Oak.  The sap wood had rotted a bit which caused the tree to collapse on the bar as it started to fall.  I went and got the other saw.  Now I had to dodge the first bar and chain.  Yup, pinched the second one.  4 wedges, two stacked, and down it went.  I still had two extra bars and several chains, but they weren't needed.

CX3

Well I thought I was the only one to ever have three saws hung in a twisted limb.  I would have had four stuck in it but didnt have another saw to give it a try!!!
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Thank You Sponsors!