iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3120 Power

Started by JHBC, September 18, 2010, 10:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JHBC

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows why the power rating dropped for the 3120XP, from 9.2HP for the early models to 8.4HP.  What parts are different.  Thanks in advance for any input.
MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

sawguy21

Likely EPA regs. Catalytic converters and very lean carbs are not good for saws.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

I can't specifically address what the deal is with Husqvarna as I have little experiance with them .However with Stihl and in praticular  with the MS 660 it's a mere shadow of the former model 066 .

The newer model has a choked down muffler for one and really lacks the power of the former .You can thank the EPA for that one .They took what once was considered the standard to which many saws were compared to and made it just a common although high priced saw .Too bad . :(

boobap

QuoteCatalytic converters

ROTFL!!!  :D

tlandrum

they have got the port timing so screwed up on the new ms60's that you cant really get mudh more out of them. the old 066 you could make scream becouse numbers were so that yiou could put them where needed. epa has really screwed up a good thing on some models of saws.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

Rocky_J

I don't have a 3120 but I have a 395xp as well as a Stihl MS880. Neither one of them were very impressive stock, but after getting them reworked I have a couple powerhouses that perform the way they were originally intended before the silly EPA restrictions took away their manhood. Both have had the intake, exhaust and transfer ports reworked as well as some piston work and mufflers opened up. The carbs were also slightly modified to allow more fuel delivery since the motors were now moving so much more fuel.

I'm not into hotrod saws, I simply want work tools that work correctly. Every single one of my saws has been modified except for the Stihl 200T top handles, those only need some minor muffler work and carb adjustments to perform correctly. I am not willing to buy and use any of the current model saws in stock form because they simply don't work. All my saws work.  8)

So in short, if you want one of those big new saws to work like it is supposed to, then find a qualified saw builder to fix it up for you. The person who has built my last 3 saws gets about $250 per saw and it's a bargain.

Al_Smith

Yes indeedy a 200T is a hot rod right out of the box with nothing done to it .The others used to be until the "greenies " and the EPA got their two cents worth into it .

If some of the "youngsters"  could ever see how the older 2100 or 281 Huskeys ran with no mods what so ever they could more grasp what I'm saying .As mentioned before the old 066 Stihl was nothing to sneeze about either ,no mods .

JHBC

I haven't modified anything of mine, all stock.  Not that I wouldn't though.  My smaller Husky would probably go in first, because it gets used a lot more, but I have asked about the 3120 as well. 

Do you figure that the ports were shrunk that much from the '88-'96? models.  I know the carb, and ignition are different, but the muffler design isn't all that bad, compared to some others stock.  Funny though, the ports and muffler would be the first things done if I took it in.

The advertised 0.8 HP drop had me wondering about what else could be different.

Al_Smith

I suppose if you just factor in that the newer 3120 most likely has a more restrictive muffler then that would easily account for the drop in power .I do know that the MS 660 Stihl has really been choked down in relationship to the 066 .

It's a well known fact that a simple muffler modification is the easiest method to gain "free horsepower " .Some like to think it as rocket science but in reality it's easy as falling of a log .

JHBC

I guess that's all I need then.  I'll likely take both Huskys in and let Mr. Walker do his thing. 

Thank again

oldsaw

Sorry I'm late to the party here.  Later models had more restrictive exhaust and fixed jet (lean) carb settings with no "H" screw.  Had a later one that the previous owner had put a larger jet in and opened the muffler more to old spec.  Was a heck of a runner on the mill.  Miss it.
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Cut4fun

Mine was a 1992 with fixed H and that was only 3-4 years into the saws run from 1989.

mtngun

I believe current 3120's have a severely restrictive rev limiting coil.   

If I had a 3120 (I wish), I'd look for an unlimited coil, send the carb off to get a H screw fitted, and mod the muffler.   

snowshoveler

Not positive at the moment but I think the flywheel is also different with the newer limited coil.
The 3120 shares the same topend as the newer cutoff saw... 1250 i think is the model number.

Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Cut4fun

Quote from: mtngun on September 30, 2010, 05:47:00 PM
I believe current 3120's have a severely restrictive rev limiting coil.    

If I had a 3120 (I wish), I'd look for an unlimited coil, send the carb off to get a H screw fitted, and mod the muffler.  

Sending off for H is not needed, least mine didnt. Can be done if you dont know what you are doing for $25 plus shipping both ways or just open the jet a hair to get where you want it.  

True somewhere in the 9K -9.5K range. My 1992 was 11K but came in 10.5K. I went with unlimited coil and that woke the beast inside up. Held better rpm in the wood with 32" buried too.

snowshoveler

Back again...
just checked the website and the limited coil and flywheel are on the EPA version.
Good news it they still are listing a non EPA version being produced.
Dont know where they are but they are out there.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Cut4fun

Quote from: snowshoveler on September 30, 2010, 07:41:57 PM
Back again...
just checked the website and the limited coil and flywheel are on the EPA version.
Good news it they still are listing a non EPA version being produced.
Dont know where they are but they are out there.
Chris

There was nothing EPA about my 1992 and it had rev-limited coil. ???

3120 (1988)
3120 (1989)
3120 (1990)
3120 (1994)
3120 (1996)
3120 (1998)
3120 (2000)
3120 (2001)
3120 EPA (1998)
3120 EPA (2000)
3120 XP (2003)
3120 XP EPA (2003)

mtngun

I'm not a 3120 guru but have heard some of the 3120 CSM'ers complaining that their saw bounces off the limiter with the bar buried in a milling cut.    Apparently, the limit speed has varied over the years, with the recent saws being set pretty low.

I'm having a hard time understanding how a fixed H jet can be satisfactory, but I'll have to take your word for it.   

JHBC

Yeah, mine lacks the H screw, and it has the limited coil.  I've thought about working the jet, but I figured that the high rpm might not be that important with high torque, big stroke, and a long bar.  I thought it might even be damaging to the saw.  Sounds like I'm wrong.  The saw gets used a bit, maybe once a week.  It has no problems,  and I know most people frown on the weight for a work saw, but these posts have confirmed, and added to my project to do's on it.

Cut4fun

Quote from: mtngun on September 30, 2010, 10:49:04 PM

I'm having a hard time understanding how a fixed H jet can be satisfactory, but I'll have to take your word for it.    

Just to explain. Mine was limited to 11K with fixed H side, but limited coil kicked in around 10.5K. I went with unlimted coil and it was now turning 13.1K out of wood with 20".  When running 32" bar buried it was holding more r's in the wood ripping, it just became beast like in the cuts, like a totally different saw. Before it would bounce off limiter and I couldnt stand that.
The plug was still cocoa brown, perfect IMO. If you want less rpm and little richer just take a bit by hand and open the jet up a hair at a time till you get desired setting you want.

There's plenty of 3120 hotsaws out there with NO H side following plenty of nitro/alky through them.

Case in point.  NO H side on this 3120 running alky nitro  8).  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TSwxnmEy9g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S-GqEFirBk

stock one with 20" NO H side unlimited coil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXoMLviUf4A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26MwquYFUS8

Al_Smith

:) It seems I remember that first vid clip  ;)

Cut4fun

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 03, 2010, 08:02:04 AM
:) It seems I remember that first vid clip  ;)

Yep Al thats the saw I couldnt run right, my old reflexes just couldnt keep up. Needed to be about 30 years younger when I got that  saw.
It had more power then I have ever seen in a saw. I felt like I was just holding on for the ride with no control over my 3 cuts when I put the fast cutting race chain on.

Thank You Sponsors!